• 3 Post By lindsaywhit
  • 2 Post By Chalet

Thread: Actress Diahann Carroll (Dynasty, Julia) dead at 84

Default Actress Diahann Carroll (Dynasty, Julia) dead at 84

Source: AP News

Diahann Carroll, Oscar-nominated, pioneering actress, dies

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY4 minutes ago

1 of 6

FILE - This 1972 file image shows singer and actress Diahann Carroll. Carroll died, Friday, Oct. 4, 2019, at her home in Los Angeles after a long bout with cancer. She was 84. (AP Photo/Jean-Jacques Levy, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — Diahann Carroll, the Oscar-nominated actress and singer who won critical acclaim as the first black woman to star in a non-servant role in a TV series as “Julia,” has died. She was 84.
    Carroll’s daughter, Susan Kay, told The Associated Press her mother died Friday in Los Angeles of cancer.
    During her long career, Carroll earned a Tony Award for the musical “No Strings” and an Academy Award nomination for “Claudine.”
    But she was perhaps best known for her pioneering work on “Julia.” Carroll played Julia Baker, a nurse whose husband had been killed in Vietnam, in the groundbreaking situation comedy that aired from 1968 to 1971.

Although she was not the first black woman to star in her own TV show (Ethel Waters played a maid in the 1950s series “Beulah”), she was the first to star as someone other than a servant.
    NBC executives were wary about putting “Julia” on the network during the racial unrest of the 1960s, but it was an immediate hit.
    It had its critics, though, including some who said Carroll’s character, who is the mother of a young son, was not a realistic portrayal of a black American woman in the 1960s.
    “They said it was a fantasy,” Carroll recalled in 1998. “All of this was untrue. Much about the character of Julia I took from my own life, my family.”
    Not shy when it came to confronting racial barriers, Carroll won her Tony portraying a high-fashion American model in Paris who has a love affair with a white American author in the 1959 Richard Rodgers musical “No Strings.” Critic Walter Kerr described her as “a girl with a sweet smile, brilliant dark eyes and a profile regal enough to belong on a coin.”
    She appeared often in plays previously considered exclusive territory for white actresses: “Same Time, Next Year,” ″Agnes of God” and “Sunset Boulevard” (as faded star Norma Desmond, the role played by Gloria Swanson in the 1950 film.)

“I like to think that I opened doors for other women, although that wasn’t my original intention,” she said in 2002.
    Her film career was sporadic. She began with a secondary role in “Carmen Jones” in 1954 and five years later appeared in “Porgy and Bess,” although her singing voice was dubbed because it wasn’t considered strong enough for the Gershwin opera. Her other films included “Goodbye Again,” ″Hurry Sundown,” ″Paris Blues,” and “The Split.”
    The 1974 film “Claudine” provided her most memorable role. She played a hard-bitten single mother of six who finds romance in Harlem with a garbage man played by James Earl Jones.
    In the 1980s, she appeared in the long-running prime-time soap opera “Dynasty” for three years. More recently, she had a number of guest shots and small roles in TV series, including playing the mother of Isaiah Washington’s character, Dr. Preston Burke, on “Grey’s Anatomy.”
    She also returned to her roots in nightclubs. In 2006, she made her first club appearance in New York in four decades, singing at Feinstein’s at the Regency. Reviewing a return engagement in 2007, a New York Times critic wrote that she sang “Both Sides Now” with “the reflective tone of a woman who has survived many severe storms and remembers every lightning flash and thunderclap.”
    twitchy2.0, Brookie, holly and 1 others like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

When I was a kid, I thought she was exquisitely beautiful.

I'll never forget that when she married singer Vic Damone back in the 1980's, that she would refer to him as "Damone" because the name "Vic" reminder her too much of some guy she hated.
    BITTER likes this.

Oh no, I loved her.
    BITTER and lindsaywhit like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I adored her...this is so sad. She was always seemingly ageless... I didn’t know that she was Ill.
    lindsaywhit and greysfang like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Oh, that is sad. I loved her in "Dynasty". She was beautiful.

Wasn’t she on “Grey’s Anatomy” a few years back? She was so beautiful.

I loved that show “Julia” when I was a kid.

Elite Member

So sad. I really loved her growing up. I wanted a Julia doll so badly for Christmas, and was thrilled when I got her

Elite Member

She was good on Dynasty and on White Collar a few years ago. She looked amazing on White Collar, a true ageless beauty. RIP.

Holy shit I forgot she was on White Collar, she did look amazing. She did a song on an episode there too.

What a life, she was so beautiful and talented. I loved 'Julia' - she fascinated me - I guess one of my first girl crushes.

Also, Paul Winfield was hot, while she was so cool.
    BITTER, twitchy2.0 and Brookie like this.

She was such a beautiful, eloquent woman. RIP.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

She was so glamorous in her signature furs in Dynasty. RIP.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Beautiful and so sophisticated. She was in one of my favorite movies, Paris Blues, with Poitier, Newman and Woodward. One stunning cast and it was filmed in Paris. I remember her as Whitley's mom and Dynasty but didn't see much of her after that.

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    So sad. I really loved her growing up. I wanted a Julia doll so badly for Christmas, and was thrilled when I got her
    You are the only other person I know that had a Julia doll. I had one too. She was a working, single mom like mine and her son was my age. There was something very comforting about her and that show. I brought the Julia doll to school to show my friends. My friend (who was black) took one look at the doll and almost passed out from excitement so I gave her the doll. I can't remember if I ever had to explain at home where the doll went. My grandfather was the VP of a dept store so I got good toys - but I had a habit of giving them away...
    mostroop and lindsaywhit like this.

Thread Information