Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Kim Kardashian’s waist trainers are a hit, but doctors warn of ‘harmful side effects’

fgg

Default Kim Kardashian’s waist trainers are a hit, but doctors warn of ‘harmful side effects’

Kim Kardashian has promoted several questionable trends over the years, from heeled flip-flops to bike shorts — but her latest launch could be downright hazardous to your health.

On Monday, the 38-year-old shapewear mogul debuted her new SKIMS waist trainer, which proceeded to sell out in every size (from XXS to 4X) in under 24 hours. “They just make me feel really snatched,” Kardashian explained in a recent Instagram video plugging the $68 style, inspired by the girdles she’s worn and loved for years.

But although the star’s curve-enhancing contraption claims to “instantly erase inches,” buyers shouldn’t look to them as a long-term solution for whittling their waists.

“While they seem like a quick and easy fix, waist trainers don’t actually burn fat or make you lose weight, and there can be a lot of harmful side effects,” Dena Barsoum, MD, board-certified physiatrist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Hospital for Special Surgery, told Page Six Style.

“There’s a reason our bodies have the shape that they do. Waist trainers compress everything in the abdomen; not just your muscles and skin, but your intestines, stomach, liver, spleen and kidneys, and all of those need space to function.”

As a result, she said, wearers could experience indigestion and heartburn — or worse, cracked ribs and pinched nerves. And while Kardashian praised waist trainers as the perfect gift for her pregnant friends, Dr. Barsoum said there are far better ways for new moms to bounce back after giving birth.

“It’s understandable that women are anxious to get back to their pre-baby physique, but between a healthy, balanced diet and exercise, you can shed those pounds in a healthy way — safely, over time — that will allow you to keep that weight off. Whereas with waist trainers, they’re not causing you to lose weight, they’re just pushing things in different directions.”

The silver (or spandex) lining when it comes to Kardashian’s take on the controversial undergarment? Unlike the corset-like boned styles she’s modeled on Instagram in the past, the SKIMS version is made from neoprene. “Usually waist trainers are rubber-based and completely so hard to get on and, like, suffocate you,” she explained in her Instagram clip. “This one is so stretchy.”

That might make it a slightly safer pick from a health perspective, but buyers still shouldn’t expect themselves to look like Kardashian at the Met Gala as soon as they strap themselves in.

“Everyone’s looking for a quick and easy fix to achieve the shape and weight they want, whether it’s a fad diet or a waist trainer, especially when there are celebrities and social media influencers saying these things are the best-kept secrets out there,” Dr. Barsoum pointed out.

“Typically, those celebrities are also the ones who can afford to have trainers working with them day and night, and a social media team to make sure their pictures look exactly the way that they intend. You certainly can’t believe everything you see on Instagram.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/10/02/kim-k...-side-effects/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

On Monday, the 38-year-old shapewear mogul debuted her new SKIMS waist trainer, which proceeded to sell out in every size (from XXS to 4X) in under 24 hours.
    It sickens me how much influence this vapid, useless woman has.
    Honeythorn, fgg, mostroop and 22 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I know. It says a lot about how stupid some people are.

I’m curious. How does one feel “really snatched?”
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Gold Member

If I see one more woman-celebrity or not - promoting what are essentially girdles like they are the new pancakes I'm gonna throw up.

I'm so old that I remember when girdles were old lady garments that nobody under sixty would be caught dead in.
    Sarzy, Waterslide, Sylkyn and 11 others like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I’m curious. How does one feel “really snatched?”
    By spending time in a Miss World dressing room with Trump?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I think it's incredibly annoying, and sends a bad message to women in general, that dopes like Kim Kardashian and Jessica Alba are "getting their figures/waistlines back" by basically rearranging their internal organs. And then recommending this to other women. Good job! Great message, morons!

I wore these things for YEARS. Under everything. Because I felt “fat” all the time. I even more them at like 5 months pregnant. RIDICULOUS. I didn’t even realize that I was so uncomfortable until I finally quit wearing them. I could eat, talk, breathe differently. Those things are horrific. Constant yeast infections. Soooo hot in the summer. They cut uncomfortably into your legs too. I don’t miss them. I wear dresses every day and I don’t wear those stupid Spanx anymore. It’s so freeing. When I think of the time I would spend cramming myself into them, I feel a lot of regret.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

The effort of squeezing into shapewear makes me break into a sweat, literally. Makes it totes not worth it, on any remotely regular basis.
    fgg likes this.

Y'know, there was a reason corsets went out of style and doctors raised hell about them THEN. They're fine for dressing up now and then and feeling sexy, but they are terrible for your body/organs if you wear them non-stop. She's the single biggest fool in a family of fools that ever lived.
    But I bet she will look sooooo hot during her closing arguments to the jury.
    Mivvi21, Kittylady, holly and 1 others like this.

This happened back when whale bones were used in corsets.
    Sylkyn and Waterslide like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Everytime I see an Twitter post like "name a better duo" with a pic of the Jenner cunts, or just this morning "name a badder bitch than Kylie Jenner" it infuriates me, I have to refrain from screaming through my phone "LITTERALY EVERY OTHER WOMAN ON THE FUCKING PLANET"
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I read that book a few weeks ago about that vile family. Robert Kardashian was the only one who was halfway decent and normal. Kris on the other hand is pathetic. It’s no wonder her crotch fruit are so vapid and narcissistic. She literally raised them to be that way.

czb

robert kardashian was decent? you mean, other than defending a murderer?

i think the whole family sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information