Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Bill Maher fat shaming needs to make a comeback

  1. #1
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    45,218

    Default Bill Maher fat shaming needs to make a comeback

    BILL MAHERFAT SHAMING NEEDS TO MAKE A COMEBACK


    Bill Maher thinks obese people need a little fat shaming ... in order to save their lives.
    Bill launched on his HBO show, "Real Time with Bill Maher," jeering at liberals who have made criticism over weight taboo. He scoffs at the Democratic candidates who are fighting for health care coverage for people with preexisting conditions, when he says the most serious preexisting condition is obesity ... yet it's not only overlooked by the candidates, raising the subject is considered bullying.
    Maher goes on ... saying we "eat like assholes" in the U.S., putting fried chicken on a sandwich, adding bacon and other ridiculous things until the gluttony will "make my mouth cum."
    Bill doesn't stop there ... he notes that the number of shooting deaths pale by comparison to deaths and illnesses triggered by obesity, calling liberals who shun fat shaming, "NRA mayonnaise."
    Ahhh, but there's more ... he says being fat is not a birth defect, citing the NYT which reports poor diet is the leading cause of mortality.
    He even takes a shot at Weight Watchers, for being afraid to criticize people who tip the scales too hard.

    https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/07/bill-...al-time-video/





    His video lists:-
    Diabeties
    Heart Disease
    Virginity (WTF?)
    Cancer
    Eyesight
    Memory
    Pain
    Fatigue
    Depression
    ”Can’t poop right” (I guess he doesn’t know what “constipation” is???)
    Immune System

  2. #2
    Elite Member Mivvi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,855

    Default

    Bill Maher can go fuck himself. Fat shaming and bullying has never worked, and never will. I have PCOS and have struggled with my weight since puberty, and believe me, no amount of horrible comments made to me about my weight has ever done shit except destroy my self esteem. I used to like this guy, but lately he has turned into a massive prick who needs to shut his fucking mouth.

  3. #3
    Elite Member OrangeSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Studying with Master Grumpy Cat
    Posts
    10,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mivvi21 View Post
    Bill Maher can go fuck himself. Fat shaming and bullying has never worked, and never will. I have PCOS and have struggled with my weight since puberty, and believe me, no amount of horrible comments made to me about my weight has ever done shit except destroy my self esteem. I used to like this guy, but lately he has turned into a massive prick who needs to shut his fucking mouth.
    I’m in the same boat Mivvi. Maher can die in a fire.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

    "Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

  4. #4
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    21,567

    Default

    He is a deeply unhappy person who finds no purpose unless he's making other people as miserable as he is. He has said some funny things and some things that are true, but at heart, he's an asshole.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

  5. #5
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    20,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mivvi21 View Post
    Bill Maher can go fuck himself. Fat shaming and bullying has never worked, and never will. I have PCOS and have struggled with my weight since puberty, and believe me, no amount of horrible comments made to me about my weight has ever done shit except destroy my self esteem. I used to like this guy, but lately he has turned into a massive prick who needs to shut his fucking mouth.
    Weight is a complex emotional, mental, physical and biological issue and for someone to suggest that yelling "buck up, fatty!" as a solution is fucking ridiculous.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  6. #6
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    45,218

    Default

    Mivvi & OS - I have no understanding of how hard that much be for you. Hugs

    I have PTSD & my weight & mental health are intrinsically linked. I’m doing well? I lose weight. I’m not doing well I gain. If I am really trying hard even when I am having a bad time I might maintain.
    I was just so disgusted by this that I had to make it aware to a wider audience.
    Mivvi21, sprynkles, Angeli and 3 others like this.

  7. #7
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    30,256

    Default

    I definitely don't agree with what Bill is advocating. That's not going to solve anything.

    But I'm about to say something that might not go over very well: I don't think normalizing being overweight/obese is doing people any favors. This is coming from someone who also knows of the struggle. I refuse to pretend that carrying too much weight doesn't have an adverse effect on my health. That's why I'm doing something about it, which thankfully seems to be working. That's also why I feel empathy toward those who can't (for whatever the reason) get rid of extra pounds.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  8. #8
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I definitely don't agree with what Bill is advocating. That's not going to solve anything.

    But I'm about to say something that might not go over very well: I don't think normalizing being overweight/obese is doing people any favors. This is coming from someone who also knows of the struggle. I refuse to pretend that carrying too much weight doesn't have an adverse effect on my health. That's why I'm doing something about it, which thankfully seems to be working. That's also why I feel empathy toward those who can't (for whatever the reason) get rid of extra pounds.
    I can see your point, but I also think we need to get past tying our self-worth to how we look. If you're a fat asshole, you'll be a skinny asshole. If you're a really amazing fat human being, you'll be a really amazing skinny human being.

    People come in different shapes and sizes and those who carry some extra weight can still be healthy. Obviously, being morbidly obese isn't healthy, but shaming them will not make a wit of difference.

    He doesn't understand how complex this issue is. If it weren't, no one would have a weight problem.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    58,615

    Default

    Yes, carrying extra weight has accompanying health risks, but he should at least be honest about this and admit that he finds fat people repulsive, because his veneer of concern for 'health' is bullshit. He doesn't give a rat's ass about the health of strangers. That's just the excuse to shame. It's like religious people condemning 'sinners' and claiming to do it out of love or whatever they perceive love to be. It's not love. It's not concern. It's that thrill bullies get from putting someone else down.

    Actual concern about those affected by the issue would involve finding more effective ways to change eating habits
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    "What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

  10. #10
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    45,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    I definitely don't agree with what Bill is advocating. That's not going to solve anything.

    But I'm about to say something that might not go over very well: I don't think normalizing being overweight/obese is doing people any favors. This is coming from someone who also knows of the struggle. I refuse to pretend that carrying too much weight doesn't have an adverse effect on my health. That's why I'm doing something about it, which thankfully seems to be working. That's also why I feel empathy toward those who can't (for whatever the reason) get rid of extra pounds.
    I hate being fat.
    I struggle to lose weight.
    I don’t need a male arsehole (just for clarity) fat shaming me.
    I think that most people who are over weight would admit (even if it is just to themselves in the cold dark night) that they are aware of how this impacts their health.

  11. #11
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    30,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I can see your point, but I also think we need to get past tying our self-worth to how we look. If you're a fat asshole, you'll be a skinny asshole. If you're a really amazing fat human being, you'll be a really amazing skinny human being.

    People come in different shapes and sizes and those who carry some extra weight can still be healthy. Obviously, being morbidly obese isn't healthy, but shaming them will not make a wit of difference.

    He doesn't understand how complex this issue is. If it weren't, no one would have a weight problem.
    This definitely.
    Novice, Sylkyn and DawnM74 like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  12. #12
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yes, carrying extra weight has accompanying health risks, but he should at least be honest about this and admit that he finds fat people repulsive, because his veneer of concern for 'health' is bullshit. He doesn't give a rat's ass about the health of strangers. That's just the excuse to shame. It's like religious people condemning 'sinners' and claiming to do it out of love or whatever they perceive love to be. It's not love. It's not concern. It's that thrill bullies get from putting someone else down.

    Actual concern about those affected by the issue would involve finding more effective ways to change eating habits
    You nailed it. Bottom line, that's what all shaming is. It's not out of concern, it's a way to put down what you don't think is OK, whether it's looks, actions or behaviors.
    Mivvi21, Jadestone, BITTER and 3 others like this.

  13. #13
    Elite Member NickiDrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    I wish people would stop being faux-concerned about overweight people and using that as an excuse to lecture them. They aren’t concerned. They just don’t like looking at them. No one shows this faux concern for other at-risk groups, including skinny people who live unhealthy lifestyles.

    Other people’s weight is not my business. Minus a few extreme examples, I don’t know whether someone is metabolically healthy just by looking at them. And even if I did, again, not my body, not my business.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

  14. #14
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    20,554

    Default

    ^^ Exactly. Skinny doesn't necessarily mean healthy. My psycho ex is really, really slim but he drinks, smokes and eats shite food until it's coming out of his ears and has never been known to exercise beyond ambling between pubs and food sources.

    On the other hand one of the carers who comes in to help with my stepdad is a larger lady. She eats healthy, spends 12+ hour shifts dashing between clients and doing a physically demanding job lifting, turning, washing and dressing people and yet she struggles to lose a pound.

    Everyone is different. There is no 'one size fits all'. Not everyone is designed to have the body of an Instagram model and for some people all the juicing, clean eating and living in the gym isn't going to transform them into something pleasing to Bill Maher's eye.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  15. #15
    Elite Member Sleuth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vegemite Land
    Posts
    6,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I wish people would stop being faux-concerned about overweight people and using that as an excuse to lecture them. They aren’t concerned. They just don’t like looking at them. No one shows this faux concern for other at-risk groups, including skinny people who live unhealthy lifestyles.

    Other people’s weight is not my business. Minus a few extreme examples, I don’t know whether someone is metabolically healthy just by looking at them. And even if I did, again, not my body, not my business.
    I respectfully disagree. I have been “shamed” for being too skinny. I guess not to the same extent as a larger person but it does exist. I struggle to put on weight but I also lose weight when I’m stressed. It never feels nice to be told to eat a cheeseburger or to eat more when you are already full. Noone believes you because they assume you must have an eating disorder and are lying. My personal favourite: “where did your tits go?” It is faux concern, rude and it’s belittling.

    On this forum alone.. we have shamed Kate Middleton and many others for being too scrawny. Other than Gabourey Sidibe, I haven’t noticed that much fat shaming here. I’m sure there are others but it actually feels like it is more accepted to talk shit about skinny people (or twigs or not a real woman as some might say). Honestly, being shamed has been my motivation to work on my health but it is a huge hit to the self esteem no matter what size you are being shamed for. Not sure exactly where I was going with this but ermm Bill Mayer can fuck right off with his thoughtless comments.
    Sylkyn, Serendipity, mopar and 2 others like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 'Birthers' must be stopped, by Bill Maher
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
  2. Religulous: Bill Maher
    By laynes in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
  3. 11 Burning Questions with Bill Maher
    By AliceInWonderland in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
  4. Bill Maher to out gay Republicans
    By MrsMarsters in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: November 15th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •