Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Angelina Jolie’s son Maddox to attend South Korean university for biochemistry

fgg

Default Angelina Jolie’s son Maddox to attend South Korean university for biochemistry

Angelina Jolie’s son Maddox Jolie-Pitt is getting ready to go off to college.

The 18-year-old will be starting at South Korea’s Yonsei University later this month to study biochemistry, People reported.

“He got accepted to other universities but chose Yonsei,” a source told the publication. “He has been studying [the] Korean language. He has lessons multiple times a week to prepare.”

The “Maleficent” star will drop off Maddox at the end of the month, and though he’ll be far from their American home, his family’s house in his native Cambodia isn’t too far away.

“He’s very close to his siblings and they all hope to visit,” the insider said of Pax, 15, Zahara, 14, Shiloh, 13, and 11-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.

Jolie, 44, previously told the magazine that she was “nothing but proud” of her son’s college plans.

She and Maddox toured NYU earlier this year.

https://pagesix.com/2019/08/05/angel...-biochemistry/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Good for him.

Elite Member

Great news. A child of celebs doing something positive. I hope he enjoys it and chooses a fulfilling career.
    Sarzy, fgg, Lofty Bike and 2 others like this.

Elite Member

Really, a South Korean university for biochemistry. What were his other choices: Podunkville, Khazakstan and Damascus? I guess Loughlin/Massimo made it impossible to buy a seat at USC. Colour me skeptical, but this reeks of celeb kid who wants to appear to be doing something real while living on mum and dad's dime.
    DawnM74 and redcat like this.

fgg

per wiki:

Academics

Yonsei is one of Korea's three "SKY" universities, which are the most prestigious in the country, with the other members being Seoul National University and Korea University. Admission of these "SKY" universities is extremely competitive. Acceptance rate of Yonsei University in general admission(수시) is below 5%. In general, exhibiting 1% of academic achievement (Korean SAT) is needed to apply for Yonsei regular decision(정시). Inside Korea, admission to a SKY university is widely considered as a determination of one's career and social status.

World rankings

in 2016, Yonsei University was ranked 105th overall, 24th in Social Policy and Administration, 12th in Modern Languages and 51-100 in economics by QS World University Rankings [26]. It was ranked 104th worldwide and 2nd in the nation by Center for World University Rankings in 2017[27] and in 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities placed Yonsei University at the 20th position in Asia/Pacific region and 3rd in South Korea.[28] Yonsei was ranked 96th in the world according to an SCI paper published in 2007.[29]

Yonsei is one of four Korean universities ranked in all three ARWU World University Ranking, QS World University Rankings, and The Times World University Ranking in 2010-13, along with Seoul National University, KAIST, and POSTECH).[30][31] Yonsei University was ranked 16th in Asia in 2012 and continues to rise rapidly in global rank: 112 in the world in 2012; 129 in 2011; 142 in 2010; 151 in 2009; 203 in 2008; and ranked globally 236 in 2007 by QS World University Rankings.[32][33] Yonsei was ranked the 1st Korean university to be in the Economist's 2011 Top 100 Full-time MBAs (#76); US News, 2011 World's Best Universities: Asia #18; and UK Financial Times' 2011 Top 100 EMBA (#57).

Yonsei University was ranked 36th in Reuters' "The world's most innovative university", which was announced in September 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonsei_University
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

czb

i dunno. biochemistry is a pretty hard major and the course work is non-trivial. don't know anything about this uni but biochem is hardly a blow off degree. *shrugs*

I doubt he'll last even a year.

South Korea has had a lot of issues with people using connections or buying their way into universities. Angelina may get away with it for the moment, but you never know when corruption will backfire.
    DawnM74, Angeli and holly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    Really, a South Korean university for biochemistry. What were his other choices: Podunkville, Khazakstan and Damascus? I guess Loughlin/Massimo made it impossible to buy a seat at USC. Colour me skeptical, but this reeks of celeb kid who wants to appear to be doing something real while living on mum and dad's dime.

Are you under the impression that South Korea is some kind of third world country or something? Might want to rethink that.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The child will benefit being on his own,no matter what.I am glad he ll make a life for himself..Alsoi i seem to remember American celebrities paying their kids way into some very famous American university..
    roslyntaberfan, MsDark and Nevan like this.

I don't even know how to respond to that comment about South Korea.

If my parents could have afforded to send me overseas for college, I would have done it in a heartbeat. I think it's an amazing opportunity and I think it's great he's going to give this a try.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Are you under the impression that South Korea is some kind of third world country or something? Might want to rethink that.
    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    The child will benefit being on his own,no matter what.I am glad he ll make a life for himself..Alsoi i seem to remember American celebrities paying their kids way into some very famous American university..

For what it's worth, I had a complete hysterectomy about 15 years ago, in sort of a Hail Mary treatment for severe, daily migraines, cluster headaches and trigeminal neuralgia. At the time, US hospitals would limit me to the whole 'cut you wide open and stitch you back up ' traditional hysterectomy that would take weeks if not longer to recover. However, my doctors in Hong Kong, where I had lived for four years, were happy to do a laparoscopic surgery. I had the surgery, rested for a day, and had no discomfort at all. Some people were shocked that I would go to Asia for surgery instead of the US - some people didn't even believe me.

Would I go to any Asian country for surgery - oh, hell no. Then again, I wouldn't go to just any US state for surgery either. I imagine it's the same with schools.

Good for Maddox.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Hopefully it will be good for Maddox to experience a world outside of his mother and siblings. However I'm mentally counting down to Angelina deciding that she needs to buy a new baby now that one of them is starting to spread his wings.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    No, I tried to be funny and chose undisirable locations. His actual other choices were probably Kentucky, North Dakota and the local state college, all fine but not exclusive enough for them. South Korea sounds so much better, even if Yonsai isn't their top uni. This is the same shit as when Angie made Maddox exec. producer on her Cambodia film at the tender age of 15. She keeps throwing him in at the deep end. I hope the lessons are in English. No way is he learning biochem taught in Korean based on a few weeks/months language courses.
    Last edited by idunno; August 5th, 2019 at 06:03 PM.

Bronze Member

Good for him. I hope he does well but given how those kids have been raised, I don’t know. Even If he was accepted on his own merits, the South Korean education system is super competitive, even for those with connections and money to buy their way in. Students are put under immense pressure to get accepted into a good university, especially one of the ‘SKY’ universities, going to high school, attending extracurricular study academies, studying up to 16+ hours a day.
    Jadestone and twitchy2.0 like this.

Seriously?
    south Korea is one of only 36 countries that are OECD members, and ranks 22nd in the world on the human development index. Their technology industries are highly advanced and developed. Becky needs to do her research.
    HWBL likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information