Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Brooklyn Beckham is ‘lacking in basic skills’ at fashion photography internship

fgg

Default Brooklyn Beckham is ‘lacking in basic skills’ at fashion photography internship

Brooklyn Beckham might have shot leading fashion campaigns and even published a book on photography — but he’s struggling to get the basics right on his internship.

David and Victoria’s 20-year-old son has landed a role as legendary photographer Rankin’s intern — but has left his colleagues stunned by his lack of basic skills.

Brooklyn has struggled with even the easiest jobs and is having to be treated like a total novice.

“Everyone knew Brooklyn’s work needed fine-tuning but no one knew his knowledge of the simplest tasks was so off,” a source told The Sun’s Bizarre column.

“Everyone had high hopes for him but it’s not been the most impressive start.

“He’s lacking in most areas. But he’s trying to make up for it in enthusiasm.”

Brooklyn was given his first camera by dad David when he was finding school “frustrating” and taking pictures soon became his “obsession.”

He released a book of his photography in 2017 called “What I See.”

It featured blurry shots of Brooklyn and his family at everything from A-list parties to luxury holidays.

The book was soon panned by critics and dismissed as a vanity project by many.

But the criticism hasn’t dampened his career — instead, he has won contracts shooting for major fashion designers.

In 2016 at the tender age of 17, Brooklyn shot Burberry’s fragrance campaign.

A source close to the Beckhams told The Sun at the time: “People will think he’s only got the job because of his rich parents but he doesn’t take anything for granted. He knows he’s lucky.”

He has also gone on to photograph “Game of Thrones’” Sophie Turner and his model girlfriend, Hana Cross.

But on his latest internship, things aren’t going quite so well.

“Luckily, no one has asked him to make the tea yet but some have been tempted. It’s become a bit of a joke,” a source said.

A second insider said throughout those shoots he needed help with “the lighting and setting up of the shots. It’s basic stuff.”

They added: “Brooklyn’s best at pressing the button on the camera.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/10/brook...hy-internship/
    rollo likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Shocked, I tell ya!
    DawnM74, Mrs P, nico and 14 others like this.

Elite Member

People don't realize how technical photography is. There is a lot more beyond just framing a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    People don't realize how technical photography is. There is a lot more beyond just framing a shot.
    I’ve just completed a short course which introduces the very basics of working a DLSR. I love it but it is SO hard!
    Mrs P and tulip like this.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

This is why these kids need to stay in school. I actually feel bad for Brooklyn. His parents probably spoiled his ass and handed him everything. I'll bet anything he didn't graduate high school. A lot of these celeb's kids don't.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Well luckily he’s just the intern who was there to learn and gain experience. Were they expecting a full professional?
    mostroop, Kittylady, Mrs P and 1 others like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Well I imagine there are kids who actually went to school for photography who would have killed to have a similar internship.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My best friend's niece studied photography at university because she thought it would be cool/easy. It wasn't and she only just scraped graduating.

There's a hell of a lot more to it than just picking up a camera, pointing it and pressing a button. I know from when I've done live music photography that you can take a hundred shots and only come out with five that make the grade.
    sprynkles, tulip, holly and 1 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    Well I imagine there are kids who actually went to school for photography who would have killed to have a similar internship.
    Unfortunately, it is all about who you know these days.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

They wanted him to be a footballer and he seemed to be more interested in being in front of a camera than behind it. Didn't he drop out of his first semester of a photography course at college? Of course he knows nothing.
    mostroop, effie2 and DawnM74 like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

A*O

They’ll play the Dyslexia card next or some other “medical” explanation for it.
    Mrs P, sjankis630 and DawnM74 like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    My best friend's niece studied photography at university because she thought it would be cool/easy. It wasn't and she only just scraped graduating.

There's a hell of a lot more to it than just picking up a camera, pointing it and pressing a button. I know from when I've done live music photography that you can take a hundred shots and only come out with five that make the grade.
    Yup. It's a technical art. I took a lot of photography in HS/college. I didn't love the whole lighting aspect and technical piece. I'm a good framer. I can take some great photos, but I'm not a photographer. I wanted to be for a long time, but I don't have the patience for the technical aspects that you have to master so you can mess around with it.
    Mrs P, holly and Kittylady like this.

My hobby is wildlife photography, and yeah, it's not an "easy" hobby. It's incredibly challenging, time consuming, you're out in all manner of crappy weather, the gear is SUPER expensive, etc. But God, I love it! I shot brown bears in Alaska last year, and where I live in MD I have easy access to bald eagles all year and osprey in the summer. This little twerp thinks he can just pick up a camera and become a shooter overnight? Nah, not gonna happen.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

A*O

Many people think modern “ point and click” digital cameras make photography easy. Compose a pretty picture, click, and voila! It’s a lot more technical than that and I’m not surprised an under educated celebrity brat can’t handle it. I’m sure his mother has called in all kinds of favours and that’s perfectly understandable, but if he doesn’t have the basic ability he’s going to struggle as well as dealing with a lot of jealousy and resentment from people with real talent who don’t have famous parents pulling strings.
    nico and DawnM74 like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Bronze Member

I currently have a part-time "Brooklyn" photography assistant (kid of client who assists on jobs for his dad's work).

The much younger 15 yr old work experience kids I've had show WAY MORE enthusiasm and are far LESS caught up in the glamour and associated hype based BS.....they also actually take the initiative (rather than spend all day trying to talk to the models).

I normally have zero time for the nepotism when there are so many talented folks looking for an opportunity but there's also those existing clients and their umm 'expected favours'.

I share a studio with three other photographers, about the only thing we share in common is using a box with glass (and different combinations of iso/shutter speed and aperture)....the rest is completely different.....I probably couldn't do the work that the others in my office do and they would struggle to do what I do, 'photography' is probably as broad a term as 'painting' is.
    nico likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information