• 1 Post By Honeythorn
  • 1 Post By lindsaywhit
  • 2 Post By Duchess of Verona
  • 1 Post By Chalet
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 2 Post By BITTER

Thread: Fashion icon Gloria Vanderbilt, 95, has died

Unhappy Fashion icon Gloria Vanderbilt, 95, has died

CNN)Gloria Vanderbilt died Monday morning, according to her son, CNN's Anderson Cooper. The fashion designer and socialite was 95. Vanderbilt died at home with friends and family at her side.
    "Gloria Vanderbilt was an extraordinary woman, who loved life, and lived it on her own terms," Cooper said in a statement. "She was a painter, a writer and designer but also a remarkable mother, wife, and friend.
    "She was 95 years old, but ask anyone close to her, and they'd tell you: She was the youngest person they knew -- the coolest and most modern."
    Born in New York in 1924, Vanderbilt grew up in France. Her father, Reginald Vanderbilt, the heir to a railroad fortune, died when she was a baby.
    Young Gloria was the focus of media attention at an early age, the subject of an intense custody battle between her mother and her father's enormously wealthy sister, Gertrude. The latter prevailed in court proceedings.
    "As a teenager she tried to avoid the spotlight, but reporters and cameramen followed her everywhere," Cooper said. "She was determined to make something of her life, determined to make a name for herself, and find the love she so desperately needed."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/enter...ies/index.html
    Brookie likes this.

She was amazing. She and Andersen Cooper were so close - her calls to him while on air were so sweet and funny. So sorry for him and other friends and relatives. RIP, Gloria - you did indeed make a name for yourself.
    HeartShapedBox likes this.

Silver Member

A while ago Anderson did a documentary on his mother's life. When she talked about her son Carter throwing himself off their balcony in front of her, it was the most tragic thing.
    Brookie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

^^ It's called Nothing Left Unsaid. Really wonderful.

I'm feeling for Anderson tonight. They had each other a long time. I'm pissed that with that long, well lived life, she gets the goddamn C. I wish she had gone in her sleep with peace.

Anderson's Tribute - be prepared if you watch this. I'm a bit inconsolable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfbRneB9wcA

With Andy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23te3_Wdfw&t=3s
    Last edited by Chalet; June 17th, 2019 at 10:43 PM.
    sputnik likes this.

The first thing I thought this morning when I saw this was poor Anderson. RIP, Gloria.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I had to laugh at the part when Anderson and his mom talked about her marriages/husbands. You could tell how great their bond was because he wasn't shy to question her actions, in a funny way.
    Like when he asked her why she married husband #1 when it was rumored he'd murdered his first wife, LOL.

Vanderbilt was married four times, divorced three times, and gave birth to four sons in all. She also had several other significant relationships.

1. In 1941, aged 17, Vanderbilt went to Hollywood, where she became the second wife of Pat DiCicco, an agent for actors and an alleged mobster.[28] They divorced in 1945 and had no children together.[29] She later alleged that DiCicco was an abusive husband who called her "Fatsy Roo" and beat her. "He would take my head and bang it against the wall," Vanderbilt said, "I had black eyes."[30]
    2. In April 1945, within weeks of divorcing DiCicco, Vanderbilt married conductor Leopold Stokowski, who had three daughters by his previous marriages to Olga Samaroff, an American concert pianist, and Evangeline Love Brewster Johnson, a Johnson & Johnson heiress. Vanderbilt was his third and last wife.[31] This marriage, which ended in divorce in October 1955, produced two sons:
      • Leopold Stanislaus "Stan" Stokowski (born August 22, 1950). He has three children:
        • Aurora Stokowski (born in March 1983) (by Ivy Strick), married to Anthony Mazzei with two children.[32]
        • Abra Stokowski (born in February 1985) (by Ivy Strick)
        • Myles Stokowski (born in 1998) (by Emily Goldstein)

• Christopher Stokowski (born January 31, 1952, no children)

3. Vanderbilt's third husband was the director Sidney Lumet. She was the second of his four wives. They were married on August 28, 1956 and divorced in August 1963. They had no children together.
    4. Vanderbilt was married a final time to author Wyatt Emory Cooper, on December 24, 1963. She was his only wife. The marriage, which lasted 15 years, ended with his death in 1978 while undergoing open-heart surgery. They had two sons:
      • Carter Vanderbilt Cooper (January 27, 1965 July 22, 1988), who died by suicide at age 23 by jumping from the family's 14th-floor apartment.[33][34]
      • Anderson Hays Cooper (born June 3, 1967), CNN news anchor

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    The first thing I thought this morning when I saw this was poor Anderson. RIP, Gloria.
    Me too. RIP.

Wow. She was in her 40's when she had the two kids by her last husband.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

What a dramatic life she led. RIP.
    Beeyotch and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I enjoyed the documentary she did with Anderson, she really lived an interesting life and it seemed he adored her.

One weird thing though, her sons from the earlier marriage had absolutely nothing to do with her. No idea what the story is there, and they really didn't touch on it either.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Too soon!

Thread Information