Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Police Identify Human Remains As Dennis Day, Long-Missing Original Mouseketeer

Default Police Identify Human Remains As Dennis Day, Long-Missing Original Mouseketeer

Police Identify Human Remains As Dennis Day, Long-Missing Original Mouseketeer

• Bruce Haring
      June 6, 2019 8:11PM PDT

UPDATE: Oregon state police have confirmed that a body found in April is original MouseketeerDennis Day.The body was found April 5 at Day’s Phoenix, Oregon home, but was badly decomposed, hindering identification by dential records or DNA. Day had been missing since July 2018. Police discovering the body had merely identified it as “human remains” until the tests confirmed the identity.
    No cause of death was revealed, and police are still investigating. Until that is concluded, no cause of death and whether it was the result of foul play or accident were revealed.

Day’s niece, Janel Showers, confirmed the death on the “Help Us Find Dennis Day!” Facebook page the family set up.
    “Our family would like to take this time to share with you that the remains found in Dennis and (husband) Ernie’s home have been officially identified as our beloved Brother and Uncle, Dennis Day. The cause of death is under investigation by the Oregon State Police so we will not be making any comments or answering any questions at this time,” the post said.
    “Our family is truly thankful to the Oregon State Police for helping to bring closure to our family so that we can finally lay Dennis to rest. We love you Brother & Uncle Dennis!”
    Day was 76 when he vanished from his rural central Oregon home. The disappearance came as his partner of more than 45 years, Ernest Caswell, was hospitalized after a fall and then transferred to assisted care. That resulted in a delay in reporting Day missing, and the family only learned about the disappearance from local news.
    EARLIER: Police have found human remains at the home of actor and original “Mouseketeer” Dennis Day, reported missing since July 2018, Oregon State Police said.

The remains have not been identified, nor have the police revealed how the remains were discovered, according to The Medford Mail Tribune.
    Day, who would now be 76, was a Mouseketeer in the original 1950s run of Walt Disney’s The Mickey Mouse Club. He was reported missing by his husband, who had memory loss and was in a hospital at the time of his disappearance, Oregon Live reported.

According to reports, Day told neighbors he was headed out for a few days, then disappeared, but not before he left his dog with a friend, something “uncharacteristic” of him, according to a police report.
    His car was found July 26, 2018 on the Oregon coast. Day’s family, who claimed they were unaware of his disappearance, set up a “Help Us Find Dennis Day!” Facebook page, where they post updates on the investigation.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dennis-...202589714/amp/

Sad, but I must have had an extra helping of stupid, because he was missing, but found at home?

yes.

It is a bit confusing. He told neighbours he was leaving for a while. So perhaps he did intend to go somewhere and something happened -- accident/illness/foul play -- before he could leave or he was making sure that the dog would be looked after before committing suicide. Either way, his spouse wasn't at home and has memory loss so his absence wasn't reported right away.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Sad, but I must have had an extra helping of stupid, because he was missing, but found at home?
    Yeah, so nobody went inside the house? For a year?
    lindsaywhit and emkat like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yea I'm so confused by this situation. He was missing for a year and no one went to his house?

My reading comprehension is pretty shit, but I've read this article 3 times and I still don't understand what happened.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Yeah, I don't quite get it either. So they found his car somewhere else. You think they'd still have checked the house for clues to where he'd gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, this story has lots of holes that need to be filled in. When was he reported missing? Did his partner ever move back into the home? Where exactly in the home was the body found, and how could a decomposing body go unnoticed for a year? What happened to the dog?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    yes.

It is a bit confusing. He told neighbours he was leaving for a while. So perhaps he did intend to go somewhere and something happened -- accident/illness/foul play -- before he could leave or he was making sure that the dog would be looked after before committing suicide. Either way, his spouse wasn't at home and has memory loss so his absence wasn't reported right away.
    And his car was elsewhere....
    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yeah, I don't quite get it either. So they found his car somewhere else. You think they'd still have checked the house for clues to where he'd gone.
    Yeah but how many times have we been told “it’s not there” just to go look ourselves & find “it” almost immediately???

^^but that’s my car keys. This is a person. Wouldn’t we be a little more thorough during the year?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Caswell, who was hospitalized after a fall at the time of Day’s disappearance, reported his husband missing last year after noticing the former Disney star stopped visiting him in the hospital. Police searched Day and Caswell’s home and rural property, but didn’t find a body until April of this year.

On July 26, 2018, two persons unknown to Day’s family were found driving Day’s car. They told police Day had given them permission to drive the vehicle. Police impounded and searched the car, finding no evidence of foul play.
    https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/mo...ed-1203235823/

• July 13, 2018 - The Phoenix Police Department and Jackson County Fire District #5 responded to the residence at 510 Pine St. Phoenix, on a medical call. Henry (aka: Ernie) Caswell (Day’s Husband) had fallen several times. Henry was transported to the hospital and later a care facility where he has been residing since.
    • July 17, 2018 - The Phoenix Police Department learns that Dennis Day is going to visit friends and would be back in several days. Phoenix Police Department conduct several welfare checks at the residence over the next several weeks.
    • July 26, 2018 - Oregon State Police responds to a domestic disturbance call on Hwy 42 near milepost 30 in Coos County. A male and female were in possession of a vehicle that belonged to Dennis Day. The female (driver) was cited for driving while suspended and the vehicle was impounded.
    • July 27, 2018 - Phoenix Police Department enters Dennis Day as missing in LEDS/NCIC. They then conducted another search of the house and were UTL any persons.
    • August 8, 2018 - Phoenix Police Department receives a report of “bad smell” coming from 510 Pine St. Officers respond and notes “nothing observed or smelled in the area”.
    • January 28, 2019 - A meeting was held involving Phoenix Police Department, Jackson County Sheriff’s office and the Oregon State Police to discuss the case. The Sheriff’s office and OSP each provide a detective to assist.
    • April 4, 2019 - Phoenix Police Department obtain the use of cadaver dog and locate a body in the house.
    • April 4, 2019 - The Jackson County Major Assault Death Investigation Unit (MADIU) is activated and the Oregon State Police becomes the lead agency.
    • June 6, 2019 - The Medical Examiner’s office has identified the body found in the residence under strong circumstantial evidence.
    • https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Po...510992322.html

Sounds like a whole lotta ineptness.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Because of the corpse's condition, investigators couldn't use dental records or DNA to identify it,

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/07/us/mo...ead/index.html

I have so many questions.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Because of the corpse's condition, investigators couldn't use dental records or DNA to identify it, and instead decided Thursday that the remains were Day's through "investigation, evidence and other information," police said in a statement.”

Hold on so the Police force that *couldn’t* find his body is confident that this is a correct ID? Alrighty-then.......
    Angeli likes this.

How incompetent are these police? For all they know.. Day could have killed someone and stashed the body in the house. I also don’t understand how the body could have been so bad that it can’t be identified. Doesn’t that imply foul play? Plenty of fucked up corpses can still be identified years after the death. None of this makes sense.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I thought about this & I guess that to DNA test a body you need a known sample of dna to compare it with (toothbrush, hairbrush, etc) maybe they don’t have that as the people living in his house have cleared it out?
    Teeth could be - dentures or he’s not been to a dentist or all his teeth were pulled to prevent ID.
    So I thought it might not be the body but reference samples etc that they are missing?
    twitchy2.0 and Sleuth like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information