• 3 Post By C_is_for_Cookie
  • 4 Post By Angeli
  • 1 Post By Witchywoman
  • 2 Post By Sleuth
  • 1 Post By Charmed Hour
  • 1 Post By Nevan

Thread: Claus von Bulow dead, no insulin involved

Default Claus von Bulow dead, no insulin involved

Claus von Bulow, a big name on the New York social circuit, who was twice convicted and twice acquitted of trying to murder his then-wife in 1980, has died.
    ADVERTISEMENT

His son-in-law, Riccardo Pavoncelli, confirmed his death at 92 on Thursday, but did not give a cause for the passing at his London home on Saturday.
    Mr von Bülow is survived by his daughter with ex-wife Martha von Bülow, Cosima von Bülow Pavoncelli, and his three grandchildren. He remained a regular at theater openings and fashionable names – such as Caroline and Reinaldo Herrera - invited him to parties to create atmosphere even into his old age.
    The Danish aristocrat Claus von Bulow – who made his name working for J. Paul Getty - was found guilty of attempted murder in a 1982 trial and again in a 1985 trial that was televised.
    He was accused of using insulin injections to try to kill the heiress to get his hands on her Pittsburgh utilities magnate father George Crawford's fortune.

+10

Claus von Bülow died at 92 in London on Saturday it was confirmed Thursday. He attends the book launch party of Nicky Haslam's book Sheer Opulence in April 2010 in London
    +10

Martha von Bülow is pictured December 20 1979
    +10

He married Martha von Bülow - AKA Sunny - the former wife of Prince Alfred von Auersperg of Austria in 1966 The first time, Mrs von Bulow – nicknamed Sunny - was found unresponsive in one of the 8.5 bathrooms at their Rhode Island home, seated atop the toilet with a syringe discarded nearby.
    His wife – who had married Prince Alfred von Auersperg of Austria in 1966 but later divorced him - was in a coma shortly. But after a second insulin overdose she never recovered from a brain trauma.
    Mrs Bulow was in a coma for 28 years before she died in 2008.
    Mrs Bulow had made her husband the main beneficiary of her estimated $40million fortune, but she soon developed an alcohol and drug habit after moving in to the home.
    In a sensational trial, her suave husband was accused of trying to murder her - being first found guilty, then dramatically (and controversially) cleared.
    It was one of two alleged murder attempts by her husband, in a scandal that shook both the American and British aristocracy to the core.

+10

Mr von Bulow appears with his daughter Cosima (Von Bulow) Pavoncelli on March 10 this year
    +10

His son-in-law, Riccardo Pavoncelli (right in January 2018), confirmed his death on Thursday When Mrs Bulow's body was found, her children from a previous marriage hired private investigators to find out if Mr Bulow was behind it.
    He was charged in 1982, but released on $1million bail - gallivanting around with much younger and less respectful women.
    Mr Bulow, who maintained an icy composure during his trial, was found guilty in 1982 and sentenced to 30 years in jail.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just three years later, the verdict was thrown out and a retrial took place.
    Mr Bulow hired celebrity attorney Alan Dershowitz, who would later defend O.J. Simpson, to get his conviction overturned.
    Celebrities took the stand to speak in Mr Bulow's defense and a publicity parade ensued.

+10

He went on trial in 1982 and was found guilty but the conviction was overturned. Mr von Bülow had a retrial in 1985 (pictured) and was convicted but he was later cleared
    +10

Annie-Laurie Kneissl and Alexander Von Auersperg, the children of Martha 'Sunny' Von Bulow, hold a press conference after a superior court jury found their stepfather Claus Von Bulow not guilty on charges that he allegedly twice tried to kill their motherAfter being freed, Mrs Bulow's children had Mr Bulow removed from their mother's will and left him without a penny. Only the couple's biological daughter, Cosima, stood by him and he denounced any entitlements in favor of her being able to equally share assets with her half siblings.

The couple were divorced in 1988. Their Manhattan apartment and Newport mansion were turned over to the von Auersperg children from her previous marriage.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Attorney Dershowitz went on to write a book about the fascinating time which was turned into 1990 film Reversal Of Fortune, starring Jeremy Irons as Mr Bulow and Glenn Close as his wife.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-murder.html

Good riddance.
    DawnM74 and rollo like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

So what say you, GR? Was he guilty or innocent? I've watched Reversal of Fortune several times and I think read a Vanity Fair article on him once before, but that's about as far as my knowledge of the case(s) go.
    Daphodil likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Reversal of Fortune is fantastic.
    czb, sputnik and Daphodil like this.

Elite Member

I remember all the articles that were written about Sunny's coma, their marriage and the trials back in the 1980s. I saw the movie as well. Von Bulow struck me as guilty, especially when he hired Alan Dershowitz. Dershowitz was a highly regarded legal expert, but he has always been a headline chaser. He loves defending wealthy high profile clients and being the legal expert on TV.
    Brookie, DawnM74, rollo and 1 others like this.

What a nightmare having your mother in a coma for 28 years.
    Angeli likes this.

Seems like he had the motive to kill her but she also sounded like someone who had issues. My gut says that his motives outweighed her issues.
    Angeli and DawnM74 like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    What a nightmare having your mother in a coma for 28 years.
    It was her children’s decision to medically maintain her in a vegetative state.

Also, Cosima did inherit 30 million. After his second trial, Von Bulow agreed to a divorce and any legal rights to Sunny’s estate provided Cosima was reinstated as an heir in her maternal grandmother, will and she was.
    crayzeehappee likes this.

I initially thought he was guilty, but I'm currently undecided. However, like Nevan, my knowledge on the case isn't very thorough. I've read some things and seen a couple hour-long put together shows on it, but that's it. There are some things that certainly look suspicious, and this has always struck me as an interesting case.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

The one thing I've learned from what little I know is that I do not like Alan Dershowitz at all. He's now a Fox News legal correspondent and some of the shit he comes up with is ridiculous. He has a way of twisting the law into whatever he wants and I guess that's why he's so good at what he does.

Something I remember from Reversal of Fortune (it was just on the other day, coincidentally, and I watched it again) was that Dershowitz used how the liquid insulin was on the outside of the needle (correct if I'm wrong) which was I guess the reason for the acquittal. If he had injected her, the needle would have come out of the skin clean, not with liquid on the shaft of the needle. And in the movie, Sunny was very drunk when she was put to bed that last night. Diabetics or anyone on insulin should NOT be drinking alcohol and I don't understand how that wasn't more of a cause then a supposedly nefarious dose of insulin from her husband.
    NickiDrea likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Reversal of Fortune is fantastic.
    I watched it too the other night. It's like the perfect movie. Perfect acting, perfect sets, so well written. Jeremy and Glenn were great as was Ron Silver as Dershowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Seems like he had the motive to kill her but she also sounded like someone who had issues. My gut says that his motives outweighed her issues.
    If the movie showed Sunny as she really was, then she was an big time addict. She was in bed most of the time, reading, sleeping, high or resting. Claus was in bed right next her when he wasn't having affairs. Seems like she had a glamorous life (travel, parties) until her children were teens.

Thread Information