Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: John Cleese accused of racism for saying London no longer an English city

May
    Bronze Member

Default John Cleese accused of racism for saying London no longer an English city

Mr Khan responded: "These comments make John Cleese sound like he's in character as Basil Fawlty.
    "Londoners know that our diversity is our greatest strength."

He added: "We are proudly the English capital, a European city and a global hub."

Cleese's comments come eight years after the comedian made headlines for similar remarks, saying London felt like a foreign city and that English culture was disappearing.

In his new message on Wednesday, the 79-year-old added: "I note also that London was the UK city that voted most strongly to remain in the EU."
    'The Englishness of my upbringing'

He used a series of further tweets to deny that his comments were about race, saying the character of the capital had changed since he was young.
    "I suspect I should apologise for my affection for the Englishness of my upbringing, but in some ways I found it calmer, more polite, more humorous, less tabloid, and less money-oriented than the one that is replacing it," he wrote.

He later stressed again that his opinions were based on cultural differences, not race.

He also hit back at sarcastic comments from the public about his reasons for living on the island of Nevis in the Caribbean.

Cleese had said on his Twitter feed that he applauded the island for its "excellent race relations, a very well educated population, no sign of political correctness".
    Cleese moved to the island of Nevis in the Caribbean last November. In July, he told BBC Newsnight he was "so disappointed with so much about this country" - particularly the press and the level of debate in the 2016 EU referendum.

There had been "dreadful lies on the right" and "scare tactics" from then-Prime Minister David Cameron and George Osborne, he said.

His comments sparked a backlash on Twitter.

Source

His “culture” was heavily involved in the slave trade and the rape of Africa, which has caused massive instability within the continent to this day. And instead of acknowledging their “culture’s” actions and the consequences of those actions, some tend to ignore their history while touting their culture as superior.

HWBL, idunno, twitchy2.0 and 8 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

A*O

Not for the first time Nicki, your perpetual anti white rhetoric seems a bit, er, racist?
    DawnM74 likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Unless someone has physically picked up and moved London to another country it is, and always will be, an English city.

A noisy, smelly city full of ignorant pricks who look at you like you've lost your marbles if you try to be friendly or chatty to everyone in your typically Northern way, but still English. I enjoy the access to museums etc whenever I'm there, but the people? Not so much.

Anyway I guess it's good that Michael Palin was the Python who did all the Around The World in Eighty Days globetrotting rather than Cleese...
    Novice, HWBL, DawnM74 and 4 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

He's a twat. And I think London is a great city.
    rollo and greysfang like this.

A rich twat who is supposedly retiring to the Caribbean.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Bronze Member

Is this gossip or just more deliberate, easily triggered and distractive mainstream clickbait posing as the umm 'news'?

They're generating a lot of expected 'hits' and 'offence' with John's truly outrageous and offensive OPINION...........which for the lamestream news is a hell of a lot easier than covering some of the bigger more difficult world issues to discuss like maybe Yemen, Venezuela, Syria or even some of that corruption Julian Assange told us about and now must be punished for.

I though the diversity movement was ultimately about championing a 'diversity of opinion' and not just about a tokenistic numbers game between vaginas. dicks, skin colour and sexuality....... but when you see how quick this movement acts to completely shutdown and attempt to shame any conflicting opinion to its own (so much for 'diversity of opinion') it sadly makes you wonder if the whole thing is simply a distraction that relies on folks with good hearts being easily led/distracted by 'obvious offence'.

Genuine diversity should see a breakdown of tribal conflict and mindsets between different groups, but we're now actually seeing an increase in tribalism....... which is what happens when folks on BOTH sides hear only what they want to hear and no longer listen to each other........ leaving 'fighting' (usually with BS self-righteousness) as the only option.

I think we may have been incorrectly using a 'positive'......to go backwards.

He is a twat and always has been...... but we probably need MORE Python absurdity in this day and age.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PObBA2wH5l0
    DawnM74 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Not for the first time Nicki, your perpetual anti white rhetoric seems a bit, er, racist?
    Are you serious?

Please point out one thing I said that is racist.

Are you denying the role that European “culture,” and British culture in particular, played in the destruction of Africa and, for that matter, the indigenous cultures in the US? Denying that black people in particular were culturally seen as non-persons, which justified their poor treatment? And that due to those cultural beliefs, people essentially made up scientific theories about the intelligence (or lack thereof), physical capabilities and pain tolerances of black and indigenous people to justify the treatment of those people?

One of my degrees is in European History, ma’am. There are many things that I like about British and European culture, but there is also a lot of nastiness there. If you’d like to, I’m glad to have a lengthy conversation about the role of the British royal family in the slave trade (they made a significant amount of money off of it) and the Belgian royal family’s role in torture, slavery, and murder in the Congo. I mean, I’m also happy to discuss the role of Arab culture in the slave trade if necessary although that seems irrelevant given the convo we are having.

Frankly, your comment is particularly stupid as I am a black woman from the US. Like many black people here, my DNA includes a significant amount of “white” DNA. Approximately 30% of my DNA is “white”; part of that coming from two of biracial grandparents. My maiden name is Scottish. I come from a country with a long history of racial issues, and those issues negatively affected my family. I don’t hide from discussing issues, including history, just because it makes certain people feel uncomfortable. It’s the truth and if you don’t like it, I don’t know what to tell you.

It’s hilarious how you call out my historically accurate comment as “racist” while remaining silent on the ACTUAL prejudiced comment, which was HIS comment. But ok. You, of all people, calling anyone else racist is laughable
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I'm sorry, but I'm going to go farther than Cleese. England has not been the same since 43 AD and the pollution of English culture by the filthy Romans at the behest of that goofball Claudius. There was literally pizza parlor on the coast of Kent less than a year later, and people had started to lose their taste for fish and chips after that.
    NickiDrea, Sarzy, sparkles and 8 others like this.

London Was Always A Multicultural City, Scientists Confirm

BY JAMES DRURYLAST EDITED 42 MONTHS AGO

The skeleton of the Harper Road woman. (c) Museum of LondonLondon has been a multicultural city since its earliest days as a Roman city, according to new cutting-edge DNA research just published by the Museum of London.
    Scientists examined four skeletons, looking at sex chromosomes, evidence for disease, travel and diet, and bioarchaeological evidence for health as well as archaeological evidence about identity.
    Caroline McDonald, Senior Curator of Roman London, said: "We have always understood that Roman London was a culturally diverse place and now science is giving us certainty. People born in Londinium lived alongside people from across the Roman Empire, exchanging ideas and cultures, much like the London we know today."
    Remains the researchers studied included a man discovered at London Wall, with injuries to his skull that suggest he may have been killed nearby in Londinium’s amphitheatre before his head was dumped into an open pit. He was found to have had black hair and dark brown eyes, and was likely to have been born outside of Britain — with connections to eastern Europe and the Near East.
    A more complicated picture emerges from looking at a Roman woman found buried at Harper Road (near today's Elephant and Castle) with high status grave goods. She was found to have male chromosomes, although her skeleton shows clear female characteristics. This, says the report, supports modern scientific thought that biological sex is a ‘spectrum’. She is likely to have been born in Britain, and her maternal ancestry shows links to northern Europe. She had dark brown hair and brown eyes, and suffered from gum disease.

A teenage girl found at Lant Street had blue eyes, and was discovered to have maternal ancestry deriving from southern-eastern Europe and west Eurasia. However stable isotope evidence shows that she was born in north Africa.
    A man, discovered at Mansell Street in the City, was born in London though his maternal ancestry shows links to Europe or north Africa. He suffered from two rare conditions, Paget’s disease and Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis.

The four Roman skeletons used for analysis will form a small, new display at the Museum of London, which opens on 27 November and is free to visit.
    https://londonist.com/2015/11/london...ntists-confirm
    HWBL, Kittylady, sputnik and 1 others like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    No it doesn't. Anti-white rhetoric? Seriously? Get a grip.
    HWBL, Beeyotch, weathered1 and 5 others like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Old white fart hates change and is xenophobic... Most shocking news I have heard in months.
    Beeyotch, Sarzy, Kittylady and 7 others like this.

im on the side of be proud of where you are from and don't make everyone the same. different cultures are awesome. also almost everyone at one point has been taken over by someone else. i like separate but together.
    Kittylady likes this.

When I lived in France, I found it was only very uneasily multicultural. Now I live in New York, and obviously there are tensions, but the overall level of tension, even in the Trump era, is much lower than I found in France.

The reality as I saw it in Europe was one I'd heard spoken of for a long time, before I ever experienced it in depth, which is that many Western European nations have large social systems that they mean to maintain, but a fairly low birthrate that doesn't allow for maintenance of those programs, and that the only way to have a large enough economic base would be to allow workers to come from elsewhere.

That's a potentially challenging situation to the extent that we're talking about target (host) cultures that aren't really pluralistic or that don't conceive of themselves as diverse, and it's in some cases a quick demographic shift, and the cultures being brought together may be starkly different. Even if particular cities such as London have some history of containing diverse groups, the reasons for why it's happening now, and the overall economic vitality of the common people, make a difference in how it's perceived. Nor should we assume that diverse groups in European cities have always coexisted peacefully, because they absolutely haven't.

This is a scenario that can be manipulated to stoke racism and unrest, and I think that's what we're seeing now. However much we want to condemn individuals for being racist or xenophobic, I think it's a valid question as a whole whether European countries are able to negotiate large-scale cultural diversity.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

London has always been multicultural, as any city with a port has been since man first learned to cross oceans.

Cleese is a dick.
    mostroop, rollo, Novice and 1 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information