Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: David Beckham banned from driving for using mobile phone

Default David Beckham banned from driving for using mobile phone

David Beckham banned from driving for using mobile phone

Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp

Video captionDavid Beckham arrives at Bromley Magistrates' CourtDavid Beckham has been given a six-month driving ban for using his mobile phone while behind the wheel.
    The former England captain previously pleaded guilty to using the device while driving his Bentley in central London on 21 November last year.
    A court heard he was photographed by a member of the public holding a phone as he drove in "slowly moving" traffic.
    Beckham, 44, received six points on his licence to add to the six he already had for previous speeding matters.
    He was also fined £750, ordered to pay £100 in prosecution costs and a £75 surcharge fee within seven days.
    District Judge Catherine Moore said she acknowledged the slow pace of the traffic but told him there was "no excuse" under the law.
    Bromley Magistrates' Court heard Beckham was seen "operating a handheld device at knee level" while driving along Great Portland Street in the West End.
    Prosecutor Matthew Spratt said: "Instead of looking straight forward, paying attention to the road he appeared to be looking at his lap."
    Image copyrightAFP/GETTY IMAGES
    Image captionThe court heard Beckham was photographed driving in "slowly moving" traffic while holding a phoneBeckham's defence barrister Gerrard Tyrrell said the former Manchester United midfielder had "no recollection of the day in question or this particular incident".
    He added: "There is no excuse for what took place but his view is that he cannot remember."
    Mr Tyrrell told the court that Beckham found driving a relaxing pastime.
    "He takes his children to school each day when he can and he picks them up when he can, and actually to deprive them of that is something that he will acknowledge," he said.

Analysis by BBC Reality Check

It's against the law in the UK to hold a phone while driving, although hands-free devices are allowed. It's punishable by six penalty points on your licence and a £200 fine - but, depending on the seriousness of the offence, you can also be taken court to face more severe penalties.
    In England and Wales in 2017, there were 8,300 convictions for using a handheld mobile phone whilst driving. Almost all were dealt with through a fine, which averaged out at £180.
    Convictions have fallen a lot since their peak of 32,548 in 2010.
    Looking at who was convicted, 86% were men and 21% were under 25 years old.
    In Scotland in 2017-18 there were 2,881 convictions for the category of "other motor vehicle offences", which covers using a mobile phone and not wearing a seatbelt. Again, almost all were dealt with through fines.

[/quote]In September, Beckham was accused of "shirking his responsibility" as a role model when he avoided prosecution on a speeding charge because of a technicality.

The father-of-four accepted he drove a loaned Bentley at 59mph in a 40mph zone in west London in January last year.

But his lawyer Nick Freeman - known as Mr Loophole - successfully fought to prevent action being taken because a speeding notice arrived one day late.
    In March 2017, the punishment for driving while on the phone was doubled to six penalty points - enough to ban those with less than two years' experience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-48213106

You would have thought that given he sprung for a customised Bentley that he would have got the media package with bluetooth. Dickhead.

part of me says, "dumb ass" but i also wonder how they can see what he is doing at knee level unless they are in a double decker!

You don’t need to be in a bus (double decker or not) to see someone messing with their phone on their knee, looking down loads & not paying attention to the road.
    Its a certain behaviour & happens a lot.

He's an idiot. Can't his cars be fitted with hands-free devices or doesn't he know how to use them?
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

You’d’ve thought on a car costing £100k that they came as standard.

Unless he was sexting with his latest squeeze?
    rollo and MsDark like this.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Unless it was a burner phone ...
    Novice likes this.

Good. He's an arrogant tit.
    Novice and SHELLEE like this.

I can be bothered to start another thread about this wanker so I’m dumping it here......
    Move over Karda$hian$ another self-centred egomaniac is on the loose.

[quote]David Beckham is set to launch his own production company - making documentaries about himself

By Katie Hind For The Mail On Sunday23:02 11 May 2019, updated 23:49 11 May 2019

• 4shares

comments

Latest From MailOnline

Victoria Beckham is arm-in-arm with close friend Derek Blasberg as the pair dine out in New York... ...

hear that Beckham is set to launch his own production company to make programmes that he can sell to global networks in a bid to swell his fortune, which is already rumoured to be an astonishing £770 millionHe has gone from superstar footballer and England captain to being an Olympic ambassador and even appearing in a Hollywood film. Now I can reveal that David Beckham is about to add another entry to his sparkling CV – by trying his luck as a television mogul.
    ADVERTISEMENT

I hear that Beckham is set to launch his own production company to make programmes that he can sell to global networks in a bid to swell his fortune, which is already rumoured to be an astonishing £770 million.
    The 44-year-old is hoping to make documentaries about himself – prompting the question of whether his wife Victoria and their four children will be tempted to join him in a fly-on-the-wall series like Keeping Up With The Kardashians – in addition to working behind the camera on other projects.
    Beckham is a huge cooking fan so perhaps he is looking to his close friend Gordon Ramsay for inspiration. He has already hired the highly regarded television executive Nicola Howson, who assisted Ramsay in setting up his own production company, Studio Ramsay. It makes a CBBC show starring his daughter Matilda, and various documentaries.
    A television source tells me: ‘This is a game-changer for David. He is now looking at making a huge amount of money from his shows.

• 4shares

RELATED ARTICLES

‘His name has become a licence to print money and he is likely to have everyone from the BBC to Netflix and Amazon wanting to buy work from him.’
    The project is believed to be one of the final parts of Beckham’s post-football empire.
    He already has his own whisky brand, Haig Club, a fashion line with men’s label Kent & Curwen, a grooming range called House 99, two London pubs, and he is soon to launch his own US football team, Inter Miami.
    The 44-year-old is hoping to make documentaries about himself Ņ prompting the question of whether his wife Victoria and their four children will be tempted to join him in a fly-on-the-wall seriesIs he planning to keep up with the Kardashians?Beckham has previously starred in several documentaries, most notably when he travelled the world to play football in seven continents across seven days in aid of the children’s charity Unicef. And five years ago, he and his best friend David Gardner appeared in David Beckham Into The Unknown, which saw the pair drive their motorbikes across Brazil.
    Last month, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star split from his long-term business partner Simon Fuller, the tycoon behind the Spice Girls and Pop Idol.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Beckham bought Fuller’s shares in his firm Seven Global and David Beckham Ventures

While using your phone while driving is stupid, he is far from the only person on planet earth doing it. Maybe we should make it to where phones can't be used unless you are in park.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

^ It is illegal here to use a hand held phone while driving. It's not in the US then?
    rollo likes this.

Beckham is the brand that keeps on giving. I can see his tv documentaries, especially if he involves his family and football, being successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ It is illegal here to use a hand held phone while driving. It's not in the US then?
    I think it might depend on which state youíre in Sarzy, I think it is in California (thinks of all those stupid reality shows where they drive while their phone is in their hand but allegedly on loud-speaker...)

from may 2016. Including a lovely photo of her giving the photographer the bird.
    Kim Kardashian in hot water after being caught using her phone while drivingReality star was spotted checking her messages from behind the wheel

By JOSHUA HAIGH
    30th April 2016, 3:00 pm
    Updated: 19th May 2016, 3:29 am

KIM Kardashian has been pictured using her mobile phone while driving.
    The reality star, 35, has found herself in hot water after she was spotted
    taking her hands off the steering wheel to write a text.
    After realising she had been caught on camera, Kim looked frustrated as she
    put her hands back on the wheel.

AKM-GSI-XPOSURE

AKM-GSI-XPOSURE

Using a mobile phone while driving a car is illegal under Los Angeles law,
    unless the motorist is calling emergency services.
    The Keeping Up With The Kardashians star could face a fine and points on her
    licence if law enforcement decide to take action

Sarzy and sprynkles like this.

czb

i think it is done by state. i know for a fact that it is illegal to do in CA.
    Sarzy and KrisNine like this.

Illegal in Oregon as well. I think there is even some language in the law that says the drivers cell phone can't be in the front row of the car. I break that rule every day because I put my purse in between the front seats. I do try not to use it while in the car, sometimes I do if traffic is stopped and I'm trying to see how long that goes on. I know that's not the smartest, but it's better than doing it while the car is actually moving.
    Sarzy likes this.

It was made illegal here (California) when the biggest problem was actually talking on the phone. Now, with the texting and checking your snapfacegram itís crazy. I still see people doing it every day, while driving on the freeway. During the times where youíre going funk freeway speeds.

You can be ticketed even if you use it while youíre stopped at a light.
    Sarzy, Novice, czb and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information