Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree2005Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

Default Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam Case

Suspects are accused of paying bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and USC

Jennifer Maas and Tim Baysinger | March 12, 2019 @ 8:03 AMLast Updated: March 12, 2019 @ 8:40 AM
    Getty Images

Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin are among 50 people who have been arrested in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, according to charging documents obtained by TheWrap.
    The suspects — which include actresses like Huffman and Loughlin, along with chief executives — have been arrested on the charges they paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into top universities like Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and USC. During a press conference in Boston on Tuesday, prosecutors said this was the “largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.”
    The scam centered around a California man who ran a business to help students gain admission into the college of their choice. This would involve being paid a pre-set amount by parents, who then funneled the money to either an SAT or ACT administrator or a college athletic coach.
    The scheme would work in one of two ways, according the documents: The coaches would arrange a fake profile that listed the prospective student as an athlete, and exam administrators would either hire proctors to take the test or correct the answers of a student.

According to a separate affidavit, Huffman and her spouse — “Shameless” star William H. Macy, who was not identified by his name — made a charitable donation of $15,000 “to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her oldest daughter.” The document added that Huffman “later made arrangements to purse the scheme a second time, for her youngest daughter, before deciding not to do so.”
    The documents also say that Loughlin and her husband “agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team — despite the fact that they did not participate in crew — thereby facilitating their admission to USC.”

Representatives for both Huffman and Loughlin did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.
    More to come…

https://www.thewrap.com/felicity-huf...cheating-scam/

Brookie and Nevan like this.

Holy sh*t - this news is breaking EVERYWHERE.
    Nevan, fgg, DawnM74 and 4 others like this.

Oh my God, rich people buying their kids' way into college??!! You don't say!!!

"Fuller Hoosegow"!
    Daphodil likes this.

I am delighted by this news. Huffman and Macy sure got off cheap compared to Loughlin.

I saw this pop up on TMZ. They said Huffman was in custody at that moment and trying to bail out. How do you even find out about this? Does the recruiter whisper it into your ear. And why isn't William Macy indicted too?
    DawnM74, sparkles and Lalasnake like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I saw this pop up on TMZ. They said Huffman was in custody at that moment and trying to bail out. How do you even find out about this? Does the recruiter whisper it into your ear. And why isn't William Macy indicted too?
    His name wasn't on the checks.
    DawnM74 likes this.

A parent charged in the cheating/ college admissions probe submitted this picture as evidence of her child’s poll vaulting skills. This is not her child, nor has her child ever participated in track and field.

Brookie likes this.

Elite Member

I've just received my CNN breaking news. Arrested? wow.
    DawnM74 likes this.

^^^ This can't be Jimmy Kimmel's kids since they are either too old (24 and 28) or too young (1 and 4).

fgg

Lori Loughlin’s daughter cashed in on student status after alleged bribery scheme

After actress Lori Loughlin allegedly bribed her daughter’s way into college, the “Full House” star’s teen cashed in on her student status — despite admitting she was just going to school to party.

Olivia Jade Giannulli in September last year posted sponsored content on Instagram for Amazon Prime, featuring a photo of her in her new dorm room at the University of Southern California with the caption: “Officially a college student! It’s been a few weeks since I moved into my dorm and I absolutely love it. I got everything I needed from Amazon with @primestudent and had it all shipped to me in just two-days.”

Loughlin was among dozens of people busted Tuesday for allegedly paying bribes to get their kids into top colleges.

Court documents allege she and her husband, designer Mossimo Giannulli, “agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team — despite the fact that they did not participate in crew — thereby facilitating their admission to USC.”

Before Olivia Jade went off to college in 2018, she generated controversy by posting to her popular YouTube channel that she didn’t “really care about school” but wanted the “experience” of “partying.”

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she told her nearly 2 million subscribers, according to Yahoo News.

“But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

Her followers reacted by calling her “spoiled” and “ignorant” — and she posted an apology video a few days later.

Olivia Jade was later featured in a Vogue Teen article about the decor in her college digs.

“I ended up ordering everything from Amazon and made sure it all went with her décor but wasn’t too matchy matchy,” she told the mag.

“I found pretty much everything for my dorm on Amazon’s college store — it was easy to find it all in one place and there were so many options to choose from. I was also able to use my Prime Student membership and received all the items in two-days with free shipping. So the best part was that it was already waiting at my dorm for me when I got there.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/lori-...ribery-scheme/
    Brookie, Shinola and rollo like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Lori Loughlin’s daughter cashed in on student status after alleged bribery scheme

After actress Lori Loughlin allegedly bribed her daughter’s way into college, the “Full House” star’s teen cashed in on her student status — despite admitting she was just going to school to party.

Olivia Jade Giannulli in September last year posted sponsored content on Instagram for Amazon Prime, featuring a photo of her in her new dorm room at the University of Southern California with the caption: “Officially a college student! It’s been a few weeks since I moved into my dorm and I absolutely love it. I got everything I needed from Amazon with @primestudent and had it all shipped to me in just two-days.”

Loughlin was among dozens of people busted Tuesday for allegedly paying bribes to get their kids into top colleges.

Court documents allege she and her husband, designer Mossimo Giannulli, “agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team — despite the fact that they did not participate in crew — thereby facilitating their admission to USC.”

Before Olivia Jade went off to college in 2018, she generated controversy by posting to her popular YouTube channel that she didn’t “really care about school” but wanted the “experience” of “partying.”

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she told her nearly 2 million subscribers, according to Yahoo News.

“But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

Her followers reacted by calling her “spoiled” and “ignorant” — and she posted an apology video a few days later.

Olivia Jade was later featured in a Vogue Teen article about the decor in her college digs.

“I ended up ordering everything from Amazon and made sure it all went with her décor but wasn’t too matchy matchy,” she told the mag.

“I found pretty much everything for my dorm on Amazon’s college store — it was easy to find it all in one place and there were so many options to choose from. I was also able to use my Prime Student membership and received all the items in two-days with free shipping. So the best part was that it was already waiting at my dorm for me when I got there.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/lori-...ribery-scheme/
    I wonder if her parents were prepared to spend even more money to get her a degree because I have my doubts that she would do well enough to graduate.

fgg

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin Indicted in College Admissions Bribery Case

UPDATE:

9:15 AM PT -- The U.S. Attorneys Office's press conference just wrapped up, and they broke down exactly how this alleged scheme went down.

The lead investigators on the case say that a man named William Rick Singer created a fake non-profit, charitable foundation which served as front to launder payments from parents who wanted to solicit his services -- most of whom allegedly paid between $200k and $400k for his help. Some payments apparently went as high as $6.5 million ... and a total of about $25 million in payments/bribes were uncovered by investigators.

The investigators went on to say that Singer had two main modes of fraud -- cooking the books for students' SAT/ACT scores with the help of co-conspirators, or by creating fake athletic profiles and paying off college coaches to recruit students under false pretenses ... some of whom had no experience with that particular sport.

Investigators also say that in many instances, Singer instructed the parents that they could write off their "donations" to his non-profit in their tax returns.

The investigators say most of the students who got admitted under this alleged ruse were not privy to the scam, but some were. The investigators made a point to say that all of this was allegedly done with corruption and greed in mind.

Regarding Felicity and Lori, the U.S. Attorney of Massachusetts claims Felicity opted for the SAT route with Singer, and that Lori went the way of athletics. He also says both actresses were in the process of surrendering to arrest without issue.

The main suspect in this case, Singer, will plead guilty to racketeering charges. Investigators say the case is ongoing as they continue to look for other potential targets.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felic...-bribery-scam/
    DawnM74 likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Wow... This is crazy. Two names I definitely never expected to see arrested, that's for sure!
    fgg, redcat, DawnM74 and 5 others like this.

Investigators also say that in many instances, Singer instructed the parents that they could write off their "donations" to his non-profit in their tax returns.
    Oh, man, tax fraud, too. Double whammy.
    ShimmeringGlow, fgg, Mrs P and 7 others like this.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information