Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Charo's Husband DEAD by Suicide

Default Charo's Husband DEAD by Suicide

Charo’s Husband Kjell Rasten Dead at 79 From Apparent Suicide: Reports

Charo’s husband of 40 years, Kjell Rasten, died on Monday, February 18, from an apparent suicide, according to multiple reports. He was 79.
    Celebrity Deaths in 2019 TMZOpens a New Window. reported that Rasten shot himself in the couple’s Beverly Hills house at approximately 2 p.m. Charo, 68, was reportedly home at the time. According to the website, police and paramedics responded to the residence after receiving a 911 call. The first responders transported Rasten to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
    The BlastOpens a New Window. reported that the unidentified 911 caller initially thought Rasten had fallen and hit his head. An eyewitness told the site that an inconsolable Charo ran out of the house screaming. She reportedly rode in the ambulance with her husband as he was brought to the hospital.

Charo and her husband, Kjell Rasten, on ‘Celebrity Wife Swap.’ Adam Taylor/ABC via Getty Images

According to The Blast, Rasten used a semi-automatic pistol. He did not appear to leave behind a note.
    Most Shocking Celebrity Deaths of All Time Charo and Rasten married in August 1978 in a civil ceremony in South Lake Tahoe, California. She was previously wed to musician Xavier Cugat from 1966 to 1978. The TV star and Rasten, who worked as a movie producer and later as Charo’s manager, shared one child, a 37-year-old son named Shel.

Charo (real name María del Rosario Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza) is best known for her appearances on The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Laugh-In, Thumbelina and The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. She has also released several albums since the mid-1970s.
    Celebrity Health Scares Charo, Rasten and their son, Shel, appeared in a 2015 episode of Celebrity Wife Swap alongside the actress’ former Love Boat costar Jill Whelan.
    Us Weekly has reached out to the Beverly Hills Police Department and Charo’s rep for comment.

If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, call theNational Suicide Prevention LifelineOpens a New Window. at 1-800-273-8255

How sad. To live to that age only to commit suicide is such a travesty. Poor guy. I always liked Charo and I feel for her and her son. RIP.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

^ I agree. I wonder if he was terminally ill, or in physical pain?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^ I agree. I wonder if he was terminally ill, or in physical pain?
    That's what I was thinking, too. On the positive side, I think it is a very well-lived life to have been knocking boots with Charo for the past 40 years.
    Lalasnake and MsDark like this.

fgg

Charo Says Husband Battled Skin Disease, Depression Before His Suicide: 'He Ended His Suffering'

Charo has broken her silence on the death of her husband, Kjell Rasten.

The singer said Rasten, 78, suffered from a “rare and horrible” skin disease and had grown depressed before he died by suicide Monday.

“Yesterday, Kjell, my husband of forty years and the love of my life killed himself,” Charo said in a statement. “There are no words to describe what we are feeling now. He was an amazing man, a great husband and the best father I could imagine to our son. He dedicated his life to loving and supporting his family.”

The star noted that as Rasten’s health had been in decline; he developed a skin condition called Bullous Pemphigoid and became depressed. The American Osteopathic College of Dermatology defines the condition as a “chronic blistering of the skin.”

“That, along with the many medications he needed to take, became too much for him, and he ended his suffering,” Charo’s statement read.

“None of us had any idea this could happen to such a wonderful, kind and generous man. Please, if anyone you know and love is suffering from depression or illness, hold them close, tell them you love them with all your heart and that the world is better because they are in it. Get any help you can. Suicide is not the answer.”

Charo, 68, ended her statement by thanking to her fans for their “love and concern.”

The Beverly Hills Police Department confirmed to PEOPLE that officers responded to a 911 call at the couple’s home at 12:31 p.m. on Monday, where they located a male subject “with life-threatening injuries.”

“Beverly Hills Police and Fire personnel attempted life-saving measures and transported the victim to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center,” a spokesperson said. “Shortly after 1:00 p.m., the male succumbed to his injuries. Preliminarily, investigators believe the death is a result of a suicide; however, the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office will determine the cause and manner of death as well as the identity of the victim. This is an active investigation and no additional details are being released at this time.”

The Blast reported that Charo was present in the house at the time and accompanied her husband to the hospital via ambulance.

The couple married in 1978 and welcomed son Shel Rasten in 1981.

https://people.com/tv/charo-husband-...ssion-suicide/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

So sad. I'll never have guns in my house.

Bullous Pemphigoid
    Be careful Googling that condition. Holy smokes!

^No kidding! I wonder if it's as painful as it looks

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Sadly, I'm not shocked. My 92-year old dad developed Parapemphigus (the Dutch name) and was first treated at home with many bandages on the blisters. Then was hospitalized as his skin broke open to bare flesh. Got a Prednison treatment which, we were warned, could cure or kill him. He went from an average of 70 new blisters a day to a mere 12, so got through it well. Celebrated his 93rd birthday at the hospital but passed away 3 weeks later of kidney failure. The guy was strong as an ox and not depressed. I don't know how long Charro's husband suffered from his ailment, my dad "only" had it for about 2 months. It was explained as an auto immune reaction: the body starts attacking itself because it thinks it's been invaded, when really it wasn't.
    BITTER, Mrs P and Brookie like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Oh my goodness, sounds awful. Sorry your dad had to go through it.

Don't think I will be googling.
    czb, HWBL, Mrs P and 1 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

How terrible. My heart goes out to Charo and their son. Almost any skin condition can be devastating on the psyche, but that one sounds hundreds of times worse than most.
    I'mNotBitter and DawnM74 like this.

How heartbreaking. I know it goes without saying, but suicide is just such a horribly tragic thing, both for the person who commits it, and for those left behind. I feel so sorry for Charo and their son.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've seen this. It's horrible.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

HWBL so sorry to hear your dad had this horrible disease, may he RIP.
    lindsaywhit, HWBL and Brookie like this.

Sorry to hear that HWBL...it's an awful thing to go through.

When I was on the Blood Type Diet, there was a guy online who had it and he said changing his food helped to dramatically reduce the symptoms. That was 20 years ago. Haven't heard what happened to him. He was sure that the chemicals in the food were affecting him. He also told me that many concentration camp survivors had the disease while imprisoned.
    HWBL and Brookie like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information