Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Albert Finney: British actor dies aged 82

Default Albert Finney: British actor dies aged 82

Albert Finney: British actor dies aged 82

• 3 hours ago

• Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionFinney was a well-respected staple of both stage and screenOscar-nominated British actor Albert Finney has died aged 82 after a short illness.

He was a five-time Oscar nominee who began his career at the Royal Shakespeare Company before making his mark in film.
    His big film break came as "angry young man" Arthur Seaton in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.
    He went on to star in Tom Jones, as Hercule Poirot in Murder on the Orient Express, Erin Brockovich and Skyfall.

A statement from a family spokesman said: "Albert Finney, aged 82, passed away peacefully after a short illness with those closest to him by his side.
    "The family request privacy at this sad time."
    Image captionFinney played Winston Churchill in The Gathering StormFinney's other memorable roles include Winston Churchill in The Gathering Storm, for which he won a Golden Globe and a Bafta.
    He also played the title role in Scrooge, billionaire Daddy Warbucks in Annie, Ed Bloom Senior in Tim Burton's Big Fish and the mobster Leo O'Bannon in Miller's Crossing.

Media captionNick Higham looks back at Finney's 60-year careerFinney was nominated four times for a best actor Oscar and once in the best supporting actor category.
    He got back-to-back nominations in 1984 and 1985 for The Dresser and Under the Volcano but never attended the ceremony itself, calling it "a waste of time".
    He was the recipient of two Bafta Awards from 13 nominations and received a British Academy Fellowship in 2001.
    Skip Twitter post by @BAFTA
    View image on Twitter
    BAFTA
    @BAFTA

We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Albert Finney. The recipient of the BAFTA Fellowship in 2001, Finney will be warmly remembered for his powerful performances in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Tom Jones, Big Fish and many more.

8:24 AM - Feb 8, 2019

771 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

End of Twitter post by @BAFTA

The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (Rada) graduate continued working on the stage despite his film success, earning Tony nominations on Broadway for Luther and A Day in the Death of Joe Egg.
    He won an Olivier Award for Orphans and was part of the original three-man cast of Art.
    His last film role came in 2012 James Bond film Skyfall, in which he played the irascible gamekeeper Kincaid.
    'A powerhouse of an actor'

A life-long fan of Manchester United, he declined a CBE in 1980 and a knighthood in 2000.
    "I think the Sir thing slightly perpetuates one of our diseases in England, which is snobbery," he said at the time.
    He was also reluctant to discuss his craft. "My job is acting, and that is why I hate interviews or lectures, explaining myself to an audience," he once said.
    Finney's achievements at the Old Vic theatre were recognised last year on a special commemorative stamp.
    Skip Twitter post by @oldvictheatre
    Albert Finney performing in the role of Hamlet from the 1975 production on The Old Vic's bicentenary stamp.
    The Old Vic
    @oldvictheatre

We are very sad to hear of the loss of Albert Finney.

His performances in plays by Shakespeare, Chekhov and other iconic playwrights throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s stand apart as some of the greatest in our 200 year history.

8:46 AM - Feb 8, 2019

88 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @oldvictheatre

The National Theatre also recognised his long association with the organisation.
    Skip Twitter post by @NationalTheatre
    View image on Twitter
    National Theatre
    @NationalTheatre

We are deeply saddened to hear of the death of Albert Finney. He was a huge part of the National Theatre acting company from its early days in Chichester and performed many roles over the years, including Hamlet which opened the Lyttelton Theatre in 1976.

9:11 AM - Feb 8, 2019

143 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @NationalTheatre

Finney was married three times and had one child with his first wife, the actress Jane Wenham.
    He was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2007, after which he largely disappeared from public view.

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47175304

No more Daddy Warbucks. No more Tom Jones the Foundling. I was never a huge fan of his, but I realize I like a lot of his movies - I also loved the movie he starred in with Audrey Hepburn called Two for The Road. Rest in peace, Albert.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

One of his later films, "Big Fish" (directed by Tim Burton) comes on cable a lot lately. I've only watched a little bit of it, but based on reading the plot synopsis on Wiki just now, it's going to the top of my list. Great actor. RIP!
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Two For The Road with Audrey Hepburn is a film I am happy to watch over and over, he is so sexy in it.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

He was really good in "The Green Man" (90's spooky BBC miniseries, has not held up well but he was great in it). I don't remember him from anything else.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    One of his later films, "Big Fish" (directed by Tim Burton) comes on cable a lot lately. I've only watched a little bit of it, but based on reading the plot synopsis on Wiki just now, it's going to the top of my list. Great actor. RIP!
    I was just about to say, he was heartwarmingly grumpy in Big fish.

I know him from Annie. He had a lovely voice.

Angeli, Nevan and gas_chick like this.

I loved him as Scrooge.

He was very charming as Tom Jones.
    Mrs Fawlty likes this.

Elite Member

He's clearly worn a toupee' for many years (except in Annie), but he was a terrific actor. I don't remember him from Erin Brockovich, but he was wonderful in Annie and Tom Jones. R.I.P.

Apparently I’m related to him. R.I.P. Albert.
    gas_chick likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

He's been in a few movies over the years that I've enjoyed, especially Annie. I'm one of those weirdos that will watch Annie every single time it comes on. I'll miss him.

Bonus: Daddy Warbucks' mansion was filmed at then Monmouth College, where my HS boyfriend got his degree from and was attending while we were dating. It's a beautiful college campus with old marble mansions. I've seen in person some of the places they used to film. Monmouth College is now Monmouth University, in West Long Branch, NJ. I will forever remember Albert Finney as Daddy Warbucks.
    Lalasnake likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Awww this is sad, he was brilliant
    Mrs Fawlty likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I loved him in "Erin Brokovich".

"They're called boobs Ed!"

RIP. I really loved him in Big Fish.
    sputnik likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

He was one of my first crushes when I saw him in Wolfen when I was 11. RIP.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information