Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Liam Neeson sparks race row over rape comments

Default Liam Neeson sparks race row over rape comments

Liam Neeson has sparked a race row after making comments about once wanting to kill a black person.

He says he walked the streets with a weapon, hoping to kill someone as revenge after someone close to him was raped by a black man.

The actor, who was promoting his new film Cold Pursuit, told the Independent that "there's something primal" when you become angry.

The BBC has contacted Liam Neeson's representatives for comment.

In the interview, he said: "God forbid you've ever had a member of your family hurt under criminal conditions. I'll tell you a story. This is true."

Neeson said the alleged rape took place a long time ago and he found out about it when he came back from a trip abroad. The actor went on to use racially offensive language about the attacker.

He said: "She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way.

"But my immediate reaction was... I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

Neeson, whose new film sees him star as a snowplough driver seeking revenge against drug dealers he thinks killed his son, has been subject to a lot of criticism on social media over the interview for what has been seen as racially charged comments.

Javon Johnson said on Twitter that the comments were "violently discarding black folks" but were also "haunted by patriarchy" because "he turned his friend's sexual assault into a platform for his own need to prove his male dominance."

Julia Craven added: "So Liam Neeson's response to a loved one being raped was to: 1. Ask the race of the assailant, which tells us his racism was deep rooted before the assault. 2. Roam through (presumably) black neighbourhoods in hopes of provoking a black person so that he could murder them."

Neeson referred back to his comments later in the interview, adding: "It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that. And I've never admitted that, and I'm saying it to a journalist. God forbid.

"It's awful. But I did learn a lesson from it."

The 66-year-old, who is best known for Schindler's List and the thriller series Taken, also described growing up in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, during the Troubles.

"I knew a couple of guys that died on hunger strike, and I had acquaintances who were very caught up in the Troubles, and I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing, and Northern Ireland's proof of that.

"All this stuff that's happening in the world, the violence, is proof of that, you know. But that primal need, I understand," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/enter...-arts-47117177

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I was just about to post this along with the same reaction you had, Sarzy.
    Sarzy likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Oh boy.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

That's a HUGE Mothafuckin' YIKES from me Dawg! (still would though)

Elite Member

What the everlasting fuck?

I have so many questions:
    Why did he want to kill a random person in stead of the rapist?
    Why did the random person that he wanted to kill have to be of the same race as the rapist?
    If the rapist had been white, would he have gone looking for a "white bastard" to kill?
    Did he think that the rape victim would feel better, if some innocent person was killed?

My take on this: Neeson has lived in his white, male, priviledged celebrity-bubble for so long, he doesn't even think twice about using the term "black bastard", or equating one black criminal with all black men. Neeson thinks race was the most important feature about the rapist - not his gender, his age, his clothes/hair, and not even that he's a rapist. And the worst part is that Neeson actually thought that the public would understand, agree, and pat him on the back for the fact that he did not kill a random, innocent stranger who happened to be of the same race as the rapist.
    I think Neeson realised too late that he had revealed his true self. "And I've never admitted that, and I'm saying it to a journalist. God forbid." I bet he wanted to bite his tongue, right that moment.
    Last edited by idunno; February 4th, 2019 at 03:20 PM.
    Sarzy, weathered1, Angeli and 6 others like this.

You can tell he's not a MAGA guy because he said he was "ashamed to say it".

The biggest problem here is that this isn't "just" some cultural appropriation or insensitive remarks. This is To Kill a Mockingbird-level, systemic racism. It was one of the first things that popped into his head when he found out his friend was raped. And never mind that he was just willy-nilly going to find a black person to kill for it. What if the person had been white? Would have killed the first white guy he saw? What if he looked in the mirror?

I sincerely would hope that he has grown as a person since then, however, I don't think saying, "But that primal need, I understand," is making me feel better.

And if bringing up The Troubles was supposed to help things, it doesn't. If anything, he should know better now and should have known better when it happened. Come to think of it, when did this happen? Sorry if I missed that in the article.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I can't imagine any normal person wanting to kill someone just because a person of the same race committed a crime they are affected by. That is beyond scary and irrational and sounds lynch-mobbish.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I am without speech.
    Waterslide, Nevan and gas_chick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I can't imagine any normal person wanting to kill someone just because a person of the same race committed a crime they are affected by. That is beyond scary and irrational and sounds lynch-mobbish.
    Yeah I agree with this and what others have said. I can understand feeling the anger towards the person who did the crime but directing it towards a whole race? Extremely racist and screwed up.

Elite Member

He is promoting a revenge movie, and was trying to say that he does understands the rage that comes with wanting revenge, when a loved one has been hurt. But he didn't have to reveal himself as a fucking racist. He could just have said he went looking for "the bastard", in stead of "a black bastard", and he would have been home free. Don't drink and press junket, kids.

^And don't be a racist. It's not that hard.

Heís not bragging about it, heís admitting to having had some ugly thoughts and reactions and harbouring racist thoughts and learning from it. Still, itís a dumb thing to say to a journalist because people donít do context anymore and he wasnít all that eloquent about it. Is someone still a racist if they admit to being racist in the past and having learned from their errors?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

As the folks elsewhere are saying:
    Liam Neeson is canceled.
    teforde23, HWBL and arie_skop like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information