Source: Billboard

James Ingram, Grammy-Winning & Chart-Topping R&B Singer, Dies at 66

1/29/2019byShelby Reitman

• FACEBOOK
    • TWITTER
    • EMAIL ME

Snap/Shutterstock
    James Ingram photographed in 1991.

R&B singer James Ingram, who collected two Grammy Awards and a pair of No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits over his decades-long career, has died at age 66. The news was shared via Twitter by Ingram's friend and creative partner Debbie Allen on Tuesday (Jan. 29).
    There are no details yet about when or how Ingram died.
    "I have lost my dearest friend and creative partner James Ingram to the Celestial Choir," Allen tweeted. "He will always be cherished, loved and remembered for his genius, his love of family and his humanity. I am blessed to have been so close. We will forever speak his name."
    The singer collected two Grammys during his career: His song "One Hundred Ways" won best male R&B performance in 1981 and his duet with Michael McDonald on "Yah Mo B There" won best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocals in 1984. He was also nominated for back-to-back best original song Oscars in 1993 and 1994, for co-writing "The Day I Fall in Love" from Beethoven's 2nd and "Look What Love Has Done" from Junior.
    Ingram charted nine hits on the Hot 100, including a pair of No. 1s: "Baby Come to Me," with Patti Austin, in 1983, and "I Don't Have the Heart" in 1990. Other top 20-charting Hot 100 hits included "Just Once" (No. 17 in 1981, Quincy Jones featuring Ingram), "Yah Mo Be There" (No. 19 in 1984, with Michael McDonald) and "Somewhere Out There" (No. 2 in 1987, with Linda Ronstadt). He also logged 19 hits on the Adult Contemporary airplay chart and 18 entries on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
    He also tallied hits as a songwriter, co-penning Michael Jackson's top 10 Hot 100 hit "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)," from the Thriller album, as well as songs recorded by Pointer Sisters, George Benson, Ray Charles, Shalamar and others.

Brookie likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

R.i.p.

Source: Variety

R&B Star James Ingram Dies at 66

By Chris Willman

CREDIT: Gallo Images/REX/Shutterstock

James Ingram, one of the biggest stars in R&B music in the 1980s and ’90s, and a double Grammy winner and two-time Oscar nominee, has died at age 66.
    Longtime friend Debbie Allen confirmed the news on Twitter. “I have lost my dearest friend and creative partner James Ingram to the Celestial Choir,” she wrote. “He will always be cherished, loved and remembered for his genius, his love of family and his humanity. I am blessed to have been so close. We will forever speak his name.”
    “Another dear friend has made his transition,” Gladys Knight said in a statement. “James Ingram, a voice to be recognized and revered, a wonderful human being full of joy. Truly deep, heartfelt condolences to his wife and his family. He will be missed and may he now rest peacefully,”
    Ingram’s first No. 1 pop hit was 1982’s “Baby, Come to Me,” a duet with Patti Austin. He again topped the chart in 1990 with “I Don’t Have the Heart.”

He was well known for his soundtrack work, most notably a duet with Linda Ronstadt on “Somewhere Out There,” for the 1986 animated film “An American Tail.” It reached No. 2 on the pop chart and won the Grammy for Song of the Year (with the award going to songwriters James Horner and Cynthia Weil).
    Ingram was nominated for 14 Grammy awards from 1982 through 1996, winning for male vocal R&B performance for “One Hundred Ways” and for R&B performance by a duo or group for his collaboration with Michael McDonald, “Yah Mo B There.” Among his other Grammy nods was a nomination for best new artist.

His Oscar nominations for best original song came in 1994-95 for his theme songs from “Beethoven’s 2nd” and “Junior.”
    He was the co-author, with Quincy Jones, of one of Michael Jackson’s biggest hits, “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing).” He re-teamed with Jones and Jackson when he appeared in the “We Are the World” all-star charity video and single.
    Other chart-toppers for Ingram included 1984’s “What About Me?,” a collaboration with Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes that reached No. 1 on the adult contemporary chart, and “The Secret Garden (Sweet Seduction Suite),” a cut from Jones’ “Back on the Block” album that went to No. 1 at R&B in 1990.
    A native of Akron, Ingram had been a session keyboard player and singer in Los Angeles before getting his big break when Jones heard one of his demos and asked him to sing several songs on his “The Dude” album — which was so popular it led to Ingram getting a best new artist Grammy nomination before he even had an album of his own out.
    Before going solo, Ingram was a member of the 1970s group Revelation Funk, which is renewed primarily for a brief appearance in the 1975 cult movie “Dolemite.”
    Ingram, who was believed to have been ill for some time, had not been prolific in recent years. His last album, “Stand (in the Light),” which had Jones as a co-producer, was released in 2008. Prior to that, he hadn’t released an album since 1993.

Details on an official cause of death or funeral plans have not been released.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I fucking LOVED this guy! Yes, I said Fucking!!! This is a special occasion! (And why did Variety have to post a photo of him looking like Steve Harvey???)

I used to be able to play "Just Once" on the piano. I still have the sheet music around here somewhere. I loved "Yah Mo B There" with Michael McDonald, even though I had no idea what Yah Mo meant..

Also, there was this terrific goth 80's ballad that Ingram sang with Kim Carnes and Kenny Rogers. It was called "What About Me?" Every time I felt sorry for myself back then, I listened to that song.

HWBL, Mrs P, gas_chick and 3 others like this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...in-cancer.html

Grammy-award winning James Ingram dies at age 66 after 'succumbing to battle with brain cancer'
    By Christine Rendon For Dailymail.com

Published: 16:02 EST, 29 January 2019 | Updated: 17:10 EST, 29 January 2019

Grammy-award winning artist James Ingram has died at the age of 66, after reportedly succumbing to his battle with brain cancer.

Sources told TMZ the R&B singer had been battling a form of brain cancer for an extended period of time.

James is a singer and songwriter whose works include When You Love Someone, The Day I Fall In Love, and writing credits on the Michael Jackson hit P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing).

The website noted James was not present when collaborator Patti Austin performed their song, Baby Come To Me, at a Quincy Jones tribute concert in September. It was not made clear at the time why he was absent from the show.

James' death was announced Tuesday by his friend and creative partner, Debbie Allen.

'I have lost my dearest friend and creative partner James Ingram to the Celestial Choir,' she tweeted. 'He will always be cherished, loved and remembered for his genius, his love of family and his humanity. I am blessed to have been so close. We will forever speak his name.'

James was born in Akron, Ohio, and performed with the band Revolution Funk in the 1970s before finally relocating to Los Angeles in order to pursue his music career, according to Pitchfork.

Once in California, he played and sang in sessions for artists including Marvin Gaye and Ray Charles.

The list of famous names continued to grow, and over the course of his successful career James collaborated with the likes of Linda Ronstadt, Quincy Jones, and Anita Baker.

It was Quincy who gave James his big break, after featuring him in several songs off of his 1980 album The Dude, according to Pitchfork.

James has been nominated for numerous Grammy awards, winning the honor for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance in 1982 for One Hundred Ways and Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals in 1985 for Yah Mo B There.

He has also been recognized by the Academy Award, having been nominated for Best Original Song twice.

James was up for the coveted honor in 1994 for The Day I Fall In Love, and in 1995 for Look What Love Has Done.

The singer-songwriter has been married to Debra Robinson since 1975.
    HWBL likes this.

Mrs Mo and I are in the kitchen right now listening to this song. Came out when we were teens. It feels almost like being plopped in front of a warm fireplace, listening to it.....

I loved so many of his songs and didn't even realize he was involved in them. I think "Baby Come to Me" was used as a love theme in General Hospital? I seem to remember it related to that show. Rest in peace.
    bootspaige likes this.
    wife: Why is your back all scratched up?
    [flashback to me chasing a raccoon after she told me to leave it alone]
    me: I'm having an affair (by @iwearaonesie
    on Twitter)

I'm sad to read this! His voice was so beautiful!

I'm with you, Mo. I loved "Yah Mo B There", too and had no idea what they were singing about. Michael McDonald was hard to understand, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I'm sad to read this! His voice was so beautiful!

I'm with you, Mo. I loved "Yah Mo B There", too and had no idea what they were singing about. Michael McDonald was hard to understand, anyway.
    I think the instrumentation and production on this song was really quintessential 1980's R&B. I loved it. It has such as great ominous, mournful opening..... I looked it up and the "Yah" is a reference to "Yahweh", so it's basically a song about trusting in God. If you read the lyrics, it's pretty simple and not dogmatic or judgmental. Basically about surrendering to a higher power, no matter what religion.
    HWBL, BITTER, bootspaige and 2 others like this.

^^^ That's so cool!!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

A*O

The 80s was probably the best decade of my life (and not just the music) so this is very poignant.
    And I love Micheal McDonald too - “what a fool belieeeeeeeves, he seeeeeeees....”
    BITTER, bootspaige and Annika like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Very sad. I love that high note he hits in the beginning of "Yah Mo be There". RIP, James.

Elite Member

RIP. He had such a smooth voice.

What a freaking voice. Like butter. I sat and listened to him last night. I think Just Once or 100 Ways are my very favorites. I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore. RIP.
    bootspaige likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Men simply don't sing like this anymore. What a loss.
    gas_chick and crayzeehappee like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information