Page 1 of 131 123451151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree7668Likes

Thread: The continuing saga of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Default The continuing saga of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Revealed: Harry and Meghan will leave their £2.5million Cotswolds country bolthole early after just a year and move to new home on Windsor Estate

• Retreat allows the Duke and Duchess to escape royal life at Kensington Palace
    • They spend most weekends at the £2.5m former farmhouse in the Cotswolds
    • But Harry and Meghan will now cancel their lease early and move out in March
    • Some sources say money is the reason though others claim it is due to security

By REBECCA ENGLISH ROYAL CORRESPONDANT FOR THE DAILY MAIL
    PUBLISHED: 22:01, 18 January 2019 | UPDATED: 10:28, 19 January 201

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to move out of their Cotswolds bolthole within weeks.
    The couple took a two-year lease on the £2.5million former farmhouse in a picturesque hamlet in the run-up to their wedding last year and spend most weekends there.
    Friends say it gives Harry and Meghan the chance to escape the ‘goldfish bowl’ of royal life at Kensington Palace, where they live in two-bedroom Nottingham Cottage.
    It had been anticipated that the couple, who are expecting their first child in April, would keep the house on after moving from London to Frogmore Cottage on the Queen’s Windsor estate this spring.
    But the Daily Mail has learnt that the couple will be cancelling the lease early and moving out in March.

Bolthole: Harry and Meghan's secret £2.5million Oxfordshire mansion where they entertain friends. It boasts four bedrooms and an outhouse with a further two bedrooms for guests

One source suggested yesterday that the sudden move is down to the fact they are struggling to pay for the upkeep of two properties, particularly as the building works on Frogmore Cottage are expected to cost up to £3million.
    While taxpayers will shoulder the bulk of the bill, Harry, 34, and Meghan, 37, are having to pay for all the fixtures and fittings themselves.

However, another source insisted that finance was not an issue and suggested that the real reason behind the move was security.
    The isolated luxury home, which the Mail has chosen not to identify, is near the trendy private members’ retreat Soho Farmhouse, where many of Meghan’s UK-based friends hang out.
    The estate, owned by multi-millionaire Old Etonian Nicholas Johnston, lies eight miles north-east of Chipping Norton and is at the heart of an area described as ‘Poshfordshire’ thanks to its regular celebrity visitors and weekend residents.

Friends claim that Harry and Meghan enjoy the bolthole because it gives them the chance to escape the ‘goldfish bowl’ of royal life at Kensington Palace

However, they will now leave the Cotswolds retreat, and one source suggested that the sudden move is down to finances, particularly as the building works on Frogmore Cottage (pictured) are expected to cost up to £3million

Little more than a decade ago, the 18th century listed farmstead comprised a pair of decaying buildings for cattle, along with the unusable stables and barns next door, beside a burnt-out farmhouse. It has since been transformed into a stunning country residence, nestled in a hidden vale.
    But the house is not situated on a heavily guarded estate, like Windsor or Sandringham. And while security measures have been put in place, the house is not a permanent royal residence and so not as heavily protected as it could be.
    It is understood that locals are less than happy at the attention the couple’s presence has brought and worry about the added strain on local police resources. Costs for guarding the property would be split between the Metropolitan and Thames Valley police forces.
    With the couple’s baby due in April, it seems they have decided to up sticks to Windsor entirely. Frogmore Cottage is undergoing massive renovations.
    A spokesman declined to discuss plans for the Cotswolds property.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6608559/Harry-Meghan-leave-2-5million-Cotswolds-country-bolthole-weeks.html
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

A house with four bedrooms is considered a mansion? Wow. I myself live in a mansion and I didn't even know it!

Not if each bedroom is the size of an average flat!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    A house with four bedrooms is considered a mansion? Wow. I myself live in a mansion and I didn't even know it!

Yeah, and this is a "cottage."
    Lalasnake and ConstanceSpry like this.

czb

it's proabably a cottage compared to the other royal residences ....
    lindsaywhit and ConstanceSpry like this.

So, a 'Hall' is bigger than a cottage...
    czb and Lalasnake like this.

Hmmm. Here I've been debating with Mr P that a quick redo of the kitchen with Ikea costs too much.
    lindsaywhit and ConstanceSpry like this.

Bronze Member

I am finding it hard to believe they have trouble paying for this estate. They broke their lease. The way she/they spend. I think they might be either looking for another place “to entertain friends” or putting all their money to FrogCot.

They've got a new PR team now so obviously it looks better if they have two places instead of three, especially if the taxpayer is paying £3 million to refurbish the cottage. They could still go to the Cotswolds to be hosted by their friends or make some other arrangements. After the baby is born, they are going on a US tour.

Bronze Member

Oh yes. I’ve read about that. Did anyone read how their renovations are going to cost more than Kate and William? It’s funny to me because all she has done so far is spend outrageous amounts of money. Makes me forget who is next in line of succession.

A US tour is great. I wonder what the tour will be about.
    DawnM74 likes this.

^ Meghan of course!
    effie2, holly and Indya like this.

A*O

Their current country “retreat” is a rented barn conversion on an estate owned by one of Harry’s dim yahoo friends. I read an article about it in Tatler (?). There are several other cashed up tenants including, I think, the Beckhams and they all enjoy jolly weekend huntin’, shootin’, fishin’ weekends.

A US official tour will be an expensive and pointless exercise but I’m sure the American media will love “our American princess” and so will she.
    denny, yanna and greysfang like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Bronze Member

Oh of course. This is her home. Her people. She will feel so welcomed. And rollo said the trip will be about her. She will sure she has the headlines as usual.

Yea I once I read the Beckhams have estate there i knew that was must be one of the reasons they broke their lease.

To be closer to their “friends”. Seeing as VB is one of the only British designers MM wears even tho it’s failing.

They took the lease knowing that the Beckham’s already had a lease there so that isn’t the reason.

However security could be an issue given that the Beckham’s have been targeted twice since October.
    Kittylady and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

I say security is the issue. But the fact that they could spin it as giving a shit about the taxpayers $ is also an acceptable plus.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 1 of 131 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information