Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Mariah Carey: My Battle with Bipolar Disorder

Default Mariah Carey: My Battle with Bipolar Disorder

In this week’s PEOPLE cover story, Mariah Carey reveals for the first time her battle with bipolar disorder.

Although she was first diagnosed in 2001 (when she was hospitalized for a physical and mental breakdown), “I didn’t want to believe it,” the superstar singer-songwriter tells PEOPLE editor in chief Jess Cagle.

Carey says she finally sought treatment recently after “the hardest couple of years I’ve been through” — years of professional upheaval, an E! reality show and romantic drama.

“Until recently I lived in denial and isolation and in constant fear someone would expose me,” she says. “It was too heavy a burden to carry and I simply couldn’t do that anymore. I sought and received treatment, I put positive people around me and I got back to doing what I love — writing songs and making music.”

One of the most successful singers of all time, with 18 No. 1 hits and more than 200 million records sold, Carey spent many of her years in the spotlight suffering in silence.

RELATED: Mariah Carey Reveals Mental Health Struggle: What to Know About Bipolar II Disorder

She is now in therapy and taking medication for bipolar II disorder, which involves periods of depression as well as hypomania (less severe than the mania associated with bipolar I disorder, but can still cause irritability, sleeplessness and hyperactivity).

Want to keep up with the latest from PEOPLE? Sign up for our daily newsletter to get our best stories of the day delivered straight to your inbox.

“I’m actually taking medication that seems to be pretty good. It’s not making me feel too tired or sluggish or anything like that. Finding the proper balance is what is most important,” Carey tells PEOPLE.

“For a long time I thought I had a severe sleep disorder,” continues Carey, now back in the studio working on an album due later this year. “But it wasn’t normal insomnia and I wasn’t lying awake counting sheep. I was working and working and working … I was irritable and in constant fear of letting people down. It turns out that I was experiencing a form of mania. Eventually I would just hit a wall. I guess my depressive episodes were characterized by having very low energy. I would feel so lonely and sad — even guilty that I wasn’t doing what I needed to be doing for my career.”

Carey, who co-parents her 6-year-old twins Monroe and Moroccan with ex-husband Nick Cannon, says she decided to come forward because “I’m just in a really good place right now, where I’m comfortable discussing my struggles with bipolar II disorder. I’m hopeful we can get to a place where the stigma is lifted from people going through anything alone. It can be incredibly isolating. It does not have to define you and I refuse to allow it to define me or control me.”

For more on Mariah Carey and her battle with bipolar disorder, dealing with fame and raising twins, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday. For mental health support, contact the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance at dbsalliance.org.

*Mariah Carey: My Battle with Bipolar Disorder | PEOPLE.com

I'm glad she's finally felt able to speak out. I remember her brother saying she had this many years ago.

I felt like I already knew something isn’t right with her before she mentioned a diagnosis. I wonder if she stopped with the alcohol, would it make a difference.
    ikmccall, OCD, twitchy2.0 and 2 others like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I knew it might be something like that...at least she's getting help. And her kids don't have to suffer from her looniness. Anymore.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Maybe Nick will follow her lead and do something about his.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I knew it might be something like that...at least she's getting help. And her kids don't have to suffer from her looniness. Anymore.
    I bet they do though if she doesn't stop drinking.
    DawnM74 and BITTER like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

OCD

I've never been a big fan of hers, but reading that totally made me cry. I wouldn't wish this shit on anyone. Even the dumpster fire president.

The people around her will make or break her. If she's surrounded by people that educate themselves and can be honest with her, she has a fighting chance of staying relatively balanced, maybe not happy, but at least not manic. The depression is the shit that seems to have no real lasting treatment. It's always there sucking you dry. From what I've seen, she's been surrounded by other lunatics and people willing to feed and play roles in her delusions.

This does totally explain how she went from the Mariah of the early 90's to the one we know now. Anosognosia is when a mentally ill person has no insight of their illness. It sounds like she's spent years in that state. I do often wonder if people with anosognosia are happier over all. I've never had it. When I was finally diagnosed at 25 I'd spent years trying to find out why I was so fucked up. That seems early, but I started experiencing mania when I was 13.

I would never want to be famous and bipolar. Gasoline on a fire.
    Sarzy and Lofty Bike like this.

When I read about Bipolar Disorder, I'm almost glad that I have Depression, because it is only one extreme, it's not that complicated.
    I'm glad that Mariah can accept her illness and get's as much help as is possible.
    Mrs P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I felt like I already knew something isn’t right with her before she mentioned a diagnosis. I wonder if she stopped with the alcohol, would it make a difference.
    Yes. Often people with Bipolar I or Bipolar II self medicate with alcohol, and it does fuck up with the meds. I have to get blood tests every six months because some of the medication is a bit rough on your kidneys and liver, so adding booze into the mix, uhm yeah. Also booze can cause a manic phase, or for some a depression phase.
    DawnM74 likes this.

I find it amazing that she is going public with this. It will no doubt help many people.
    Mrs P, scarlett and Lofty Bike like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I do like that some public people are opening up about bipolar disorder. It took me a few years before I opened up to friends and family, even coworkers. So many people think "oh, it's an excuse, all in your head". Well yeah, get a CT brain scan and you can see how the BP brain is different. I hope it helps people that are first diagnosed for just having depression, because often the SSRI and SNRI meds for depression can trigger hypomania or mania in people that are actually BP.
    Lofty Bike and Sarzy like this.

i love moomoo and i'm glad she came forward with this.
    Sarzy likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

^it definitely explains a few things.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I'm not surprised. I figured she had something when she had that horrible break down back right around when she was doing that video. Glad she is getting help. I like her, just wish she would dress better.
    ikmccall and Sarzy like this.

I'm actually not surprised though, I'll always remember her breakdown during the Glitter days. Something wasn't right back then.

^ Exactly and since then, her work ethic hasn't been too good. So I don't know. I'm not a fan.
    DawnM74 likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information