Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree368Likes

Thread: Nun dies during court battle with Katy Perry

Default Nun dies during court battle with Katy Perry

Nun, 89, at center of Katy Perry's epic convent legal battle dies in court... hours after telling star 'please stop'

By ROSS MCDONAGH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 17:22, 10 March 2018 | UPDATED: 18:40, 10 March 2018

Katy Perry's court battle to buy an LA convent took a tragic turn on Friday.
    One of the nuns at at the center of the legal drama, Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, died in court in the middle of a hearing on the long-running matter.
    The 89-year-old was one of two nuns who had tried to sell the Los Feliz convent where they lived to a restaurant owner named Dana Hollister for just $44,000, as an alternative to selling it to the pop star.
    Katy Perry had offered to buy it from Archdiocese of Los Angeles for almost $15million in 2014.

+

'You're hurting a lot of people': A nun at center of Katy Perry's legal battle to buy LA convent pleaded with her to back off on Friday, before dropping dead in court

+

Back off: Hours before her death Hours before her death, Sister Catherine Rose Holzman pleaded with the Roar hitmaker to back off

The singer's deal was scuppered by the move.
    Perry and the Archdiocese successfully sued Hollister over her interference; they were awarded $15million between them in punitive damages in December.

During a post-judgement hearing on Friday,Sister Holzman collapsed and died.
    Hours before her death, she pleaded with the Roar hitmaker to back off, saying during an interview with Fox11 LA: 'And to Katy Perry, please stop. It’s not doing anyone any good except hurting a lot of people.'

+8

Under dispute: Katy Perry had made an offer of $15m for the Los Feliz convent

+

Final trip: Sister Holzman and Sister Rita Callanan arrived in court on Friday for a post-judgement hearing

She and Sister Rita Callanan claimed to have documents from the Vatican which proved they were the rightful owners of the 1927-built Bernard Maybeck-designed compound, which they had lived in since 1978.
    They said the Archdiocese should not have become involved in the case.
    'You have stolen the property of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart. Please archbishop... Do what is right in your heart,' Callahan begged in the televised interview just before her friend's death.
    They defended Hollister, who wanted to turn the 20,000 square-foot property into a boutique hotel with the nun's blessing, but has now been forced to declare bankruptcy.
    'We asked her to save us, to buy the property,' the late Holzman said. 'She had nothing to do with forcing herself on us.'

+8

On her side: They defended Hollister (left), who wanted to turn the convent into a boutique hotel with the nuns blessing, but has now been forced to declare bankruptcy

Hollister had listed her net worth on a loan application at around $16 million in 2014.
    While Hollister's bid of $44,000 was accepted by the nuns, Perry was willing to pay $10million to the nuns in cash, plus an additional $4.5 million for the home’s House of Prayers, an Archdiocese spokesperson previously told DailyMail.com.
    A judge voided Hollister's sale last year, saying the archdiocese had the right to sell the property, not the nuns.
    In December a jury in LA awarded a total of $10 million in punitive damages to Perry and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles; It followed an earlier decision to award $5 million in compensatory damages divided between the two entities on November 17.

Wow: The magnificent eight-acre hilltop property and its Roman-villa style buildings sits in the trendy neighborhood of Los Feliz

In the lawsuit, the jury found that Hollister interfered with contractual relations and other misdeeds. They also found that her actions led to Perry and the archdiocese having to pay exorbitant lawyer fees and other costs, which Hollister should get the bill for.
    The Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary haven't lived in the convent for several years, with the archdiocese emptying it against their wishes in 2011.
    Even before the dispute over ownership, The Sisters were at loggerheads with the archdiocese.
    Back in the 1960s they abandoned the practice of wearing habits and and wanted to set their own bedtimes and times to pray.
    However a crackdown by the archdiocese followed. When the Vatican refused to step in, 300 nuns broke with the church and formed their own community.
    As for Perry, she is the daughter of two Pentecostal pastors; her very first album— Katy Hudson, which sold less than 200 copies — was a Christian music record.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5485611/Nun-center-Katy-Perrys-legal-battle-buy-LA-convent-dies.html
    dowcat likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Well, I'm pretty sure that makes it official: Katy Perry is evil.

But we didn't need this story to confirm that (although that outfit she's wearing in the top pic is some compelling evidence she's tacky as fuck).

It sounds like a lot of silliness from all parties to me. I'm confused by the nuns changing their bedtimes and now it's making me wonder about church property, etc. Were they part of the archdiocese or no? And while I don't agree with the nuns hating Katy on appearance alone (YMMV), I probably wouldn't want to sell something I loved to her either, though $14.5m would change my mind and they could have left that all to charity if they didn't want it. That aside, I feel like Katy just dug her heels in and kept at this because she could and because she's spoiled and spiteful.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Katy cast a spell on that poor nun.

Waterslide likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

From what I read, she wanted to purchase the property for her mom and grandma to live in; if so, I can't hate on her too much. I'm not sure what the nun meant by saying she was "hurting a lot of people" in buying the property. It's not like she and the other nuns were getting kicked out, and she did sell it to someone else. Was it because the archdiocese was profiting from it? If the courts found the archdiocese was the legitimate owner, there must have been some type of evidence to prove so, right?
    Waterslide and Tati like this.

ETA - @Moongirl, yeah, I had a lot of questions about this story and did not know that she was buying the property for her mom and grandma. I figured she just thought it was cool and edgy to buy a place nuns lived in, so I'll back off a little on that (though I still think she's evil, but that's based on her music alone, lol). I didn't get why the nuns "claimed" to have paperwork from the Vatican saying they owned it and if they did why didn't they produce it? And what difference does it make? Shouldn't they have paperwork saying they own it? Or the archdiocese would have proof they own it? I don't really get this story.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Well that's creepy.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    From what I read, she wanted to purchase the property for her mom and grandma to live in; if so, I can't hate on her too much. I'm not sure what the nun meant by saying she was "hurting a lot of people" in buying the property. It's not like she and the other nuns were getting kicked out, and she did sell it to someone else. Was it because the archdiocese was profiting from it? If the courts found the archdiocese was the legitimate owner, there must have been some type of evidence to prove so, right?
    OR the catholic church had deep pockets and could fight the suit.

don't have enough info to figure out who is the rightful owner. but that is a gorgeous property.
    lindsaywhit and Lalasnake like this.

By all means, may the nun rest in peace, but it's just a little odd that she was so adamant about Katy Perry not buying the property as a home for someone as opposed to selling it to someone who was going to convert it into a "boutique" hotel, whatever that means...
    Tati and Kittylady like this.

Whatever. These "nuns" that were living there are nuts.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

If these nuns rightfully owned the property they would have had legal paperwork to show, which they apparently did not produce. You can't just claim to own a property if you can't produce the appropriate paperwork. That only sounds harsh because we are dealing with sweet looking nuns, not some smarmy businessman.

I don't have any specific love for Katy Perry, but it sounds like she didn't really do anything wrong other than purchase a property that the legal system said she could buy.

Hmm, the DM appears to have done a swift edit on the story. I'm sure I read that this massive property was being bought for Katy's mother and grandmother (supposedly.) That's two people so I can understand the nuns being suspicious about Katy throwing her money around. And although the nuns had moved out in the last few years, they had apparently lived there since 1978. So it's all rather sad and stressful and proved too much for one of them.
    Liza likes this.

^^Yep, that's what I had read also, that she wanted the property for mom/grandma; I'm not sure why a group who, according to the original post, had moved out and essentially formed their own group with their own rules (were they even still affiliated with the church?) cared so much about who bought the property.

Some people care very much about who buys their home. It's not a business transaction for everybody.
    Lalasnake, darksithbunny and mopar like this.

Hey, I have no great love for Katy Perry but please. It's not like she was trying to evict some poor old nuns, the article said they had not lived on the property in years. Second, the nuns' dispute was with the Archdiocese, since each claimed they were the owners of the property. Katy bought the property from the Archdiocese and the nuns were trying to block the sale by selling to another buyer. The courts apparently did not agree with them, and there must have been quite a lot of fuckery for them to be hit with $10m in punitive damages on top of $5m in compensatory damages.

Sorry the nun died but she was 89 and it's not like Katy Perry killed her. Sheesh.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^Same, I'm no fan of her but from what I've read, I'm Team Katy on this one. But then I have no great love for nuns so maybe I'm a little biased (although nuns never tried to sing bland bubblegum pop to me, so there's obviously different kinds of evil).
    Trixie, Brah, idunno and 3 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information