Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Mariah Carey Gets Candid About the Grammys: 'Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn'

Default Mariah Carey Gets Candid About the Grammys: 'Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn'

Mariah Carey Gets Candid About the Grammys: 'Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn'

Mariah Carey is not letting the Grammysdictate her artistry.

The Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse powerhouse singer opened up about her thoughts on the music industry, and her own career, in an interview with V Magazine published on Wednesday (March 7).

During the interview, Mariah opened up about the business of being a musician.
    “In the music business, if you care about the Grammys and submitting your stuff before a certain time frame, you want a single out in the summer, and then you want to have your record [out] before the Grammys [consideration] deadline, which has changed. Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn,” she said.

“I mean, I have five Grammys. That’s cute. There’s people that have been doing this half the time that have twice as many [Grammys]. I won two Grammys the first year I started, but after that, [the Grammys] are like, “We don’t go with the people that are selling a lot of records and are popular; we’re gonna go the opposite way.” So I got screwed out of certain years. I wasn’t bitter about it. I was just like, okay, well, I guess I’m not standing here barefoot onstage singing and trying to go a certain way. I’m just me.”

Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News | Just Jared

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

She has become an insufferable asshole.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Mariah honey, your records are neither selling nor winning Grammys either.
    holly, Mivvi21 and rollo like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    She has become an insufferable asshole.
    Just become?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I dont care about the Grammys but her latest records arent selling or are big hits. She cant even sing live anymore
    holly and rollo like this.

Yep she's blown her voice doing all that over singing and is a ridiculous diva as well. I miss Whitney.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Bullshit. That inflated gasbag gives a damn.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Just become?
    I'd say the past two decades there has been a steady decline in her demeanor and attitude. So you're right, she's been an asshole for a while.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I'm with her in this. She is a very successful, prolific songwriter, active for decades. Yet - Lauryn Hill (great, phantastic) only had a moment and has 14 Grammys. That is just not right imho. Do you hear any song of Lauryn getting as much airplay as MCs christmas classic? Mariah is really underrated, her issues, clothes and diva behavior should not get into the way of praising her as the great artist she is!

Quote Originally Posted by crayzeehappee View Post
    Bullshit. That inflated gasbag gives a damn.
    Exactly. Why else would she bother talking about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    I'm with her in this. She is a very successful, prolific songwriter, active for decades. Yet - Lauryn Hill (great, phantastic) only had a moment and has 14 Grammys. That is just not right imho. Do you hear any song of Lauryn getting as much airplay as MCs christmas classic? Mariah is really underrated, her issues, clothes and diva behavior should not get into the way of praising her as the great artist she is!
    I agree she is very talented and I also agree that Lauryn Hill and her 14 Grammys officially make her overrated, especially in comparison to Mariah, but I feel like music shouldn't be about winning Grammys, just like acting performances shouldn't be about winning Oscars. She does a lot of damage to her own career by acting the drunk diva and presenting the persona of being a general mess. She does definitely has talent in spades, but no one is stopping her from putting out records, or playing concerts. She has enough money, forget about the awards and focus on the music. If she just sat down, got her voice under control, and put out an album of old standards and covers, I bet she'd sell a lot of records right off the bat. Most of my favorite singers and bands have never even been invited to the Grammys, much less nominated, much less won any, but that doesn't make them any less talented IMO.
    arie_skop, holly and BITTER like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^^Yes, very true, but word for word fits Lauryn Hill perfectly, too.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    It shouldn't, but it does get in the way...all of these award ceremonies are very political and based more on popularity and politics than anything else. I'm not a big fan of Lauryn (though I think she's gorgeous), but her music is considered to be edgier and more socially relevant than Mariah's. Mariah is a better singer and she writes most of her own stuff, but her output has been rather uneven over the years.
    Lofty Bike and Waterslide like this.

Agreed. Which is why I think it's better, especially after you've hit your "peak" to just sit back from the politics and make the music, because the awards are about politics, youth, and whatever is selling at that moment in time. Let the awards come to you...don't chase them down. That's when the music gets watered down and it's just more recycled generic pop. I mean it would be silly of me, as a regular old citizen, to tell any of these people to be happy with the accolades they've already received and be secure in knowing you're respected, rather than pull a lot of silly stunts and be laughed at and wonder why no one is downloading your music. (i.e., Madonna, Mariah, LeAnn, etc.)
    BITTER, Lofty Bike and holly like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Mariah is notoriously sloppy in her 'live' performances. Why doesn't she address that?
    holly and BITTER like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Mariah is notoriously sloppy in her 'live' performances. Why doesn't she address that?
    Because she can't remember the next day thanks to the booze?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information