Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Minnie Driver quits as Oxfam ambassador after Haiti and Chad worker allegations

Default Minnie Driver quits as Oxfam ambassador after Haiti and Chad worker allegations

Minnie Driver QUITS as Oxfam celebrity ambassador and blasts the charity for 'abhorrent mistakes' over sex abuse scandal and aid workers' 'Caligula-style orgies' with Haitian prostitutes

• Minnie Driver has quit her role as celebrity ambassador for Oxfam on Tuesday
    • She said she was 'horrified' by allegations aid workers had sex with prostitutes
    • Reports said staff who were in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake had paid for sex with prostitutes

By KHALEDA RAHMAN FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 20:45, 13 February 2018 | UPDATED: 09:40, 14 February 2018

Minnie Driver quit her role as an Oxfam global ambassador citing the 'abhorrent mistakes' in relation to the sex scandal.
    The 48-year-old actress, who was one of the charity's 16 ambassadors, said she was 'in no uncertain terms' withdrawing her support.
    The British star has worked with Oxfam for 20 years, donating a £72,000 lunch date to its 2008 Ebay auction.
    'I am nothing short of horrified by the allegations against Oxfam International,' the Good Will Hunting actress said in a statement, according to the Telegraph.

+5

Minnie Driver has quit her role as celebrity ambassador for Oxfam in protest at the charity's sex scandal

'In no uncertain terms do I plan to continue my support of this organization or its leaders.
    'And though it is unfortunate that after 20 years I am no longer able to advocate and defend through this specific framework, social and economic injustice is more globally prevalent than ever.'

She added that she won't let the 'abhorrent mistakes of a troubling organization' stop her or anyone else from 'working with good people in this space to support a population of human beings around the world that needs our help.'
    In a statement to MailOnline, Oxfam said Ms Driver's decision to step down 'saddens us deeply.'
    'Minnie Driver has been a devoted Oxfam supporter for many years, and we are grateful for her commitment to ending global poverty,' it said.
    Her decision to step down as an Oxfam Ambassador saddens us deeply, but we also understand and respect her choice.
    As an organization, we are ashamed by the actions of some of our former members of staff and are more committed now than ever to learn from our mistakes and ensure we uphold the highest levels of safeguarding standards in our work around the world.'
    Oxfam's list of celebrity global ambassadors include Helen Mirren, Coldplay, Desmond Tutu and Bill Nighy.

+

The British star has worked with Oxfam for 20 years, donating a £72,000 lunch date to its 2008 Ebay auction

+5

A regional Oxfam director and aid workers are alleged to have exploited locals for sex at a luxury apartment block (pictured) in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake

The deputy head of the charity resigned on Monday, saying Oxfam had failed to adequately respond to past allegations of sexual misconduct by some staff in Chad and Haiti.
    On Friday, the Times reported that some staff who were in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake there had paid for sex with prostitutes.
    Oxfam has neither confirmed nor denied that specific account but has said an internal investigation in 2011 had confirmed sexual misconduct had occurred.
    Haiti's President Jovenel Moise said 'what transpired is a violation of basic human decency' and he would not tolerate support from charities whose staff exploited communities.
    'There is nothing more shameful than a sexual predator using the veil of catastrophe as a means to exploit the vulnerable in their most defenceless moments,' he said in a statement.

+5

Four members of Oxfam staff were dismissed and three, including the country director – Roland van Hauwermeiren (pictured) – resigned before the end of the 2011 investigation

Haiti's minister of planning and external cooperation summoned Oxfam representatives to a meeting on Thursday.
    'These would be both serious sexual crimes and a crime against development in light of the potential diversion of external assistance for the purpose of illegal criminal activities,' the minister, Aviol Fleurant, said.
    Prostitution is a crime in Haiti, but it was not entirely clear what other crimes the Oxfam officials may have committed.
    Oxfam officials in Haiti were not immediately available for comment during the country´s carnival holiday.
    Aid minister Penny Mordaunt has threatened to withdraw government funding from Oxfam unless it gave the full facts about events in Haiti. She has written to all British charities working overseas to demand that 'they step up and do more, so that we have absolute assurance that the moral leadership, the systems, the culture and the transparency that are needed'.
    Britain's Charity Commission has launched an inquiry into whether Oxfam disclosed details about the allegations at the time in 2011 and its handling of the incidents since.
    On Tuesday, Oxfam faced fresh pressure on Tuesday after a former senior member of staff said her concerns about 'a culture of sexual abuse' involving aid workers had not been taken seriously by the charity's bosses.

+5

Helen Evans (pictured), Oxfam's former global head of safeguarding, said she begged senior staff, ministers and the regulator to act on allegations of sexual abuse allegations

Helen Evans, Oxfam's former global head of safeguarding, told Channel 4 News that she begged senior staff, ministers and the regulator to act on allegations of sexual abuse allegations.
    She also detailed three new allegations made against Oxfam staff overseas in a single day.
    Ms Evans, who was in charge of investigating allegations against Oxfam staff members between 2012 and 2015, said abuse cases she had heard of included a woman who had been coerced into having sex in exchange for aid.
    Another involved an assault on a teenage volunteer by a staff member in an Oxfam charity shop in Britain, she said.
    'There was one of a woman being coerced to have sex in a humanitarian response by another aid worker, another case where a woman had been coerced in exchange for aid and another one where it had come to our attention where a member of staff had been struck off for sexual abuse and hadn't disclosed that, and we were then concerned about what he might be doing, and that was three allegations in one day,' she said.
    Now, the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme has told Channel 4 News that they are 'reviewing our association' with Oxfam in light of the concerns about the safety of children volunteering in charity shops.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dor-Oxfam.html
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Wow I've only just caught up on the oxfam sex scandal. Unbelievable

Elite Member

I tell you, the charity industry is rife with corruption and abuse. I'm not saying we sholdn't help 3rd world countries, but 60 years of development aid has not significantly improved the financiel situation in delveloping countries - relative to the industrialised countries. It's time to find a new model. Maybe forfeiture of debt and trade.
    Catty, arie_skop, A*O and 8 others like this.

There are no decent people in the world anymore, except for us here at GR...I really do believe that.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I'm feeling very bitter myself, Bitter.
    idunno, Lofty Bike and BITTER like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

We are the keepers of the world's moral values damnit!!! Fuck!
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I never contribute money to charities. Money usually goes to the lazy arses up top. Only way I contribute is by either donating items to local animal shelters or items to womens shelters.

A*O

I'm very wary about donating these days. So much gets skimmed off by corrupt officials feathering their own nests or straight into a bloated offshore bank account.
    arie_skop, Kittylady and Mrs P like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Sort of on topic: my local grocery store is always asking if you want "round up" your bill to donate the change to X charity. The other day it was "do you want to round up and donate to the K9 awareness organization?" The what? K9 awareness. Are you for real? There is a charity that goes around making you aware of dogs? She was all, they make you aware of things dog's need, er something.

I'm not stingy but I'll keep my 16 cents thank you very much. I know what a dog is already.
    pinkbunnyslippers likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

A*O

These days the tin rattlers don't want cash, they want your credit card details to set up a perpetual standing order. Fuck off.

Gofundme scammers can fuck off too.

Regards
    M. Burns
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have noticed the Wounded Warriors who were busted a couple years ago for partying away most of their donations are back at the constant advertising again.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

We live in an age where all kinds of shit is either happening in your backyard or it's happening in someone else's backyard a million miles away and either way, it effects you. And then, you feel useless and helpless and you think, I can't literally go there and give them a hug, or a blanket, or put the fire out, but I've got $25, give or take, to spare...and you end up throwing money at problems all the time, and occasionally blood donations, but other than that we're all pretty helpless. Then you hear about this kind of corruption within a trusted charity organization and when it comes down to it, you can't trust anybody. Gofuckme has probably done good for some people in their situations, yay for them, but most of the time it's cyber beggaring. I fell down an internet munchie hole (Munchhausen sufferers) and they get so much free shit from things like gofundme (while real sick people are actually dying because they can't pay for treatment), the US government should be bringing in the RICO act against them. Fucked up.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

the thing that pisses me off with this story is the way it's being reported. It's so incredibly SWERFy and whorephobic.

Is the nature of this scandal that Oxfam aid workers were doing tough work in hell and hired existing, adult consensual sex workers? Because that's not a scandal. Even if Haiti criminalises sex work, it shouldn't. https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...orkers-rights/

Or is the story that Oxfam aid workers manipulated and coerced desperate women into selling sex? BECAUSE THAT IS VERY DIFFERENT TO SEX WORK.

The way this story is being reported, especially by the Guardian, conflates the two concepts of sexual abuse/trafficking and sex work. They are two very different​ things.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    We are the keepers of the world's moral values damnit!!! Fuck!
    A sign of the apocalypse, I'm sure.
    BITTER, Mrs P and Kittylady like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    I never contribute money to charities. Money usually goes to the lazy arses up top. Only way I contribute is by either donating items to local animal shelters or items to womens shelters.
    This is why the RSPCA gets fuck all from me. I've tried offering donations of pet food/blankets/toys and was told that they only accepted financial donations. My local Cats Protection will take all those things, even if it's just an (unopened) bag of cat biscuits that your own furry fuckers have suddenly decided are poisonous now that you've stocked up. I always side-eye any charitable organisation that is only interested in you setting up a Direct Debit. Also, Oxfam shops are expensive AF, which is why I avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    A sign of the apocalypse, I'm sure.
    The apocalypse doesn't frighten us. We are what frightens the apocalypse.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information