Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Lena Dunham Reveals She Had a Full Hysterectomy to Fight Her Endometriosis Pain

Default Lena Dunham Reveals She Had a Full Hysterectomy to Fight Her Endometriosis Pain

Lena Dunham Reveals She Had a Full Hysterectomy to Fight Her Endometriosis Pain

Lena Dunham underwent a major surgery to relieve herself of pain.
    The 31-year-old Girls actress revealed in an essay for the March 2018 issue for Vogue that she had a full hysterectomy – removing her cervix and uterus – in order to relieve herself of endometriosis pain.
    Lena has been outspoken about her struggle with the painful condition, and had already undergone “years of complex surgeries measuring in the double digits.” She decided to remove her reproductive organs to end the pain once and for all.
    She remains determined to have children: “I may have felt choiceless before, but I know I have choices now,” she wrote about planning for motherhood.
    “Soon I’ll start exploring whether my ovaries, which remain someplace inside me in that vast cavern of organs and scar tissue, have eggs. Adoption is a thrilling truth I’ll pursue with all my might.”
    Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News | Just Jared

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Ouch.
    So, there really isn’t any treatment for pain? That’s sad if that is the only option.

Still fugly though.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Sarcastic comment coming:

If MEN were suffering from that kind of pain every month for more than half their fucking lives, you could be sure scores of scientists and pharmaceutical companies would have invested years of research and money to find a solution.
    But hey, it's only women, they're probably faking it.

I don't like her at all, but I'm sorry she had to experience all this.
    To end up removing your own functioning organs because of pain says a lot about how intense it must have been
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I'm so sorry it came down to that. I hope she finds a way to be a mum if she truly wants that. I don't know much about her and she's often annoying but I find nothing wrong in this. And I think she looks kinda nice in this pic. Love the hair.
    sputnik likes this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

that sucks, i can't imagine the level of pain she must have been in.

i'm not really a fan but i don't hate a raging hate-on for her the way a lot of people do.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I've known a few women with this and this was the ultimate route they had to take too. With all the medical advancements with so much, I don't understand why we can't figure this out.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I've known a few women with this and this was the ultimate route they had to take too. With all the medical advancements with so much, I don't understand why we can't figure this out.
    I had it. It's a bitch. If a woman is on the birth control pill, it keeps it away but you get off the pill? That shit comes in like a swarm of bees. It's very, very painful (pelvic area). Some women who have it, only have the pain once a month. Others, have it 24/7. I treated mine with laser laparoscopies (out patient surgery) where the doctor goes in through the navel and lasers the endometriosis. The pain was managed by Vicodin. You'd think that would fix it but noooooooo! That evil crap grows back!

**Warning. Graphic Image Below**

This is what that shit looks like:

After trying everything; including the shot Lupron, which put my body in pseudo menopause, when that pain came back, I'm all "That's it. I'm done.!!" I called the doctor's office and said "I'd like to schedule a hysterectomy please.".

Then there's the adhesions (scar tissue). Yay! What a treat! I had to have 3 more surgeries to clear those out. And my doctor said that scar tissue is like gristle on meat so it's tough. Often, a scalpel has to be used to cut them.

And on top of that, endometriosis feeds off of estrogen so if a woman has a high estrogen level, she's more prone to it. And she also has to stay from HRT for a while after the Hysterectomy.

AND, as an added bonus. That shit can grow ANYWHERE. It's evil, I tell ya!
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; February 14th, 2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Sassiness and Kittylady like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Wow!!! I never knew that it can be that vicious, Bluebonnet. Sounds awful, are you at least rid of all that stuff now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    Wow!!! I never knew that it can be that vicious, Bluebonnet. Sounds awful, are you at least rid of all that stuff now?
    As long as I keep the HRT at the right level. Otherwise, that shit would grow back on intestines and bladder. It's the devil!!!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Can't stand her, but still feel for anyone going through it. I have it as well and the pain can knock me on my ass for a few days at a time. Before I became "anti-pill", I asked my doc about going on it to control it. I was told, "You're far beyond that now." This is why it was a shock I got pregnant with my twins, they thought I wouldn't be able to have kids.

I've had severe burns from my right collarbone down to my elbow and I'd still take that over the pain I get from this.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

(((Dallison))) My empathy!

There was a thought that once a woman got pregnant, it would "get rid" of endometriosis but that isn't true. I've known many women who got it AFTER they had children.

I like Dunham - especially her propensity for discarding her clothing no matter what people think of her body. We are probably distantly related.

And Dallison and Bluebonnet - - you remind me to appreciate the very fortunate run of good health I've experienced most of my life....
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I did it as well - I was in my 50's though, not my 30's. The pain is excruciating. I also had monthly migraines that accompanied the cramps.

All gone!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Bronze Member

I have it too. It's one of the reasons I was told at age 27 that I'd never be able to have a baby. (I consider it a miracle that I have my 8-year-old and am currently pregnant at age 41.) Endometriosis has made life pretty miserable. Have had 3 surgeries to get rid of what they could, but I (like a lot of people that have it) also have it in places where it's inoperable. One of those places is on my bladder, which causes bladder irritation & resulting frequent bladder infections, and it's really acting up bad during my current pregnancy. Im only 3 months along but I CONSTANTLY feel like I have to pee, which may sound like no big deal but it's driving me CRAZY. It's a constant horrible feeling that never goes away--feels just like a bad UTI but it's not, and there's nothing I can do for the pain/discomfort. It really is unpleasant to be a woman at times.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Piece View Post
    I have it too. It's one of the reasons I was told at age 27 that I'd never be able to have a baby. (I consider it a miracle that I have my 8-year-old and am currently pregnant at age 41.) Endometriosis has made life pretty miserable. Have had 3 surgeries to get rid of what they could, but I (like a lot of people that have it) also have it in places where it's inoperable. One of those places is on my bladder, which causes bladder irritation & resulting frequent bladder infections, and it's really acting up bad during my current pregnancy. Im only 3 months along but I CONSTANTLY feel like I have to pee, which may sound like no big deal but it's driving me CRAZY. It's a constant horrible feeling that never goes away--feels just like a bad UTI but it's not, and there's nothing I can do for the pain/discomfort. It really is unpleasant to be a woman at times.
    Brookie likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information