• 1 Post By gas_chick
  • 8 Post By NickiDrea
  • 6 Post By dallison
  • 3 Post By OCD
  • 2 Post By sputnik

Thread: Kate Upton details harassment by Guess' Paul Marciano

Elite Member

Default Kate Upton details harassment by Guess' Paul Marciano

As with so many other #MeToo moments, it began with a tweet. On Jan. 31, supermodel Kate Upton wrote, “It’s disappointing that such an iconic women’s brand @Guess is still empowering Paul Marciano as their creative director #metoo.” In an interview with TIME, Upton detailed her claims against Marciano, co-founder and former CEO of Guess, who she says assaulted and began harassing her during her first professional modeling campaign when she was 18.

Harassment has plagued the fashion industry for decades, but allegations have often been ignored. Many models work as independent contractors and have few legal protections; last month lawmakers introduced a bill in New York that would hold designers, retailers and agencies accountable for abuses.

In a statement to TIME, Marciano called Upton’s accusations “absolutely false” and “preposterous.” “I have never been alone with Kate Upton,” he said. “I have never touched her inappropriately. Nor would I ever refer to a Guess model in such a derogatory manner.”

He added: “I fully support the #metoo movement. At the same time, I will not allow others to defame me and tarnish my reputation. I have pledged to Guess and its Board of Directors my full support and cooperation with a fair and impartial investigation.” A representative from Guess declined to comment.

Photographer Yu Tsai says he witnessed the harassment Upton describes and corroborated details of her allegations.
    TIME: What happened with Paul Marciano?

Kate Upton: After the first day of shooting the Guess Lingerie campaign [on July 25, 2010], Paul Marciano said he wanted to meet with me. As soon as I walked in with photographer Yu Tsai, Paul came straight up to me, forcibly grabbed my breasts and started feeling them — playing with them actually. After I pushed him away, he said, “I’m making sure they’re real.”

Despite doing everything I could physically do to avoid his touch throughout the meeting, he continued to touch me in a very dominating and aggressive way, grabbing my thighs, my arms to pull me closer, my shoulders to pull me closer, my neck, my breasts, and smelling me. He then told Yu Tsai to leave us alone. I was able to send a quick text to Yu Tsai asking him to stay. He did, but that did not stop Paul’s constant grabbing. I was extremely shaken, surprised and scared.

At one point he forcibly grabbed the back of my head so that I could not move and started kissing my face and my neck. I remember not wanting to say “Get off of me” because I didn’t want to open my mouth to say anything because I didn’t want him to be able to put his tongue in my mouth. I had two options: do everything I could to wiggle away and avoid his pursuit, or punch the CEO of Guess. So I decided to just wiggle away.

Then Paul insisted that he walk me up to my hotel room. I immediately declined. The only thing I was thinking is if he touches me like that in public, I can’t imagine what he’d try to do in private. Thankfully, Yu Tsai stepped in and insisted he’d do it. I was so relieved and felt like I had barely escaped.

The next Guess shoot I worked on was about a month later. As soon as I went up to my hotel room, Paul started calling me asking to come up and see how my room is. I politely declined several times.

He continued to insist. He said he was already in the hotel lobby. He even called my room from the hotel lobby desk. After several denials, I just turned off my phone and locked the door and tried to get some sleep. I was terrified. All I could think was if he was able to get into my room it would not be good.

The next day, I learned that I had been fired from the shoot. Someone had called my agency to say I had gotten fat and would not be needed on set [that day]. I was devastated, especially because at this point no one from Guess had even seen me.

But Guess continued asking you to work with them after that.

I talked to Yu Tsai about how scared I was and said I couldn’t do it anymore. I couldn’t shoot anymore if this was how it was going to work. We came up with a plan that anytime Paul invites himself to my room, I would text Yu Tsai to be there so that I was never alone in a room with him. I was still very nervous and scared because clearly Paul was comfortable with touching me in front of him. But Yu Tsai assured me that he would look out for me, so that’s what we did.

Source:
    Kate Upton Details Alleged Harassment by Guess' Paul Marciano | Time

These assholes are ubiquitous, but the more women tell their stories, the closer we come to eradication.

We've only just begun.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Yep it is just gaining momentum as it rolls all these assholes down with it.
    NickiDrea likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I highly doubt that she is lying about a story where she is naming witnesses who could confirm what she’s saying.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Yu Tsai is tweeting his support for Kate Upton.

Elite Member

She was just on Good Morning America. She was very poised, very clear about what happened and her reasons for coming forward.

Good for her.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Between Ermahgerd and Yee-muthafuckin' Haw

I love her and Justin Verlander as a couple. They're so cute. And yeah, these idiots who deny everything are ridiculous. C'MON dude, there is a witness. WTF.

fgg

Guess Co-founder Accused of Harassment Steps Down

Months after Guess models including Kate Upton accused co-founder Paul Marciano of “sexually and emotionally harassing women,” Marciano has stepped down from the company.

A four-month-long probe found that Marciano has “exercised poor judgment in his communications with models and photographers and in placing himself in situations in which plausible allegations of improper conduct could, and did, arise.” The company also said in a statement that Marciano had made “inappropriate comments and texts and unwanted advances including kissing and groping.”

Marciano’s brother was appointed chairman, and Marciano will remain on the board until January 30, 2019. He has not performed his daily duties since the beginning of the probe.

Upton was the first model to publicly accuse Marciano of harassment. She wrote on Instagram and Twitter that it was upsetting that the “iconic women’s brand” still aligned itself with Marciano. Marciano denied her claims, saying he had never been alone with Upton.

In an interview with Time, Upton said he grabbed her breasts during a photo shoot and fired her after she wouldn’t let him come into her hotel room. Guess and Marciano have settled with five victims, totaling $500,000.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sure-gr...134611208.html
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

OCD

Why is this shit always labeled poor judgment? It’s a god damned crime.

^^^^
    because the company also has to cover its own ass for liability reasons?
    not that it would be a great loss to anyone if guess went under. talk about ugly, tacky shit.

also, aren't all crimes also the result of bad judgement?
    Last edited by sputnik; June 13th, 2018 at 02:13 PM.
    czb and LaFolie like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information