Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Daniel Radcliffe Reacts to Johnny Depp's 'Fantastic Beasts' Casting Controversy

Default Daniel Radcliffe Reacts to Johnny Depp's 'Fantastic Beasts' Casting Controversy

Daniel Radcliffe Reacts to Johnny Depp's 'Fantastic Beasts' Casting Controversy

Johnny Depp‘s casting in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald has been criticized following allegations against the actor and now Harry Potterstar Daniel Radcliffe is reacting to the controversy.

The casting has since been defended by Warner Bros., writer J.K. Rowling, and director David Yates.

“It’s a very hard thing for me,” Daniel toldEW about the controversy.
    “I can see why people are frustrated with the response that they were given from that … I’m not saying anything that anybody hasn’t already said — and this is a weird analogy to draw — [but] in the NFL, there are lots of players arrested for smoking weed and there is other people’s behavior that goes way beyond that and it’s tolerated because they’re very famous players,” Danielsaid. “I suppose the thing I was struck by was, we did have a guy who was reprimanded for weed on the [original Potter] film, essentially, so obviously what Johnny has been accused of is much greater than that.”
    Jamie Waylett, who played the role of Vincent Crabbe in the first six Harry Potter movies, was let go from Deathly Hallows after he was arrested for growing marijuana plants.

Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News | Just Jared

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

I don’t get it. What is he trying to say here?

I'm confused too.

I didn't even know that there was controversy
    Annika and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Bronze Member

I think it's an attempt at deep, youthful (maybe even millennial) thought from a lifelong celebrity .....which is a bit of an oxymoron....and probably why it makes no sense.

So are people throwing a fit and not wanting Johnny because of his recent divorce/domestic violence brouhaha? Which I don't believe for a minute. (Not about his guilt but about people not wanting him) Maybe some are. And they probably all post at GR
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

J.K. Rowling Defends Johnny Depp Casting in 'Fantastic Beasts'

Fans have questioned Warner Bros’ decision to keep Johnny Depp in the role of Grindelwald in the Fantastic Beastssequel, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, after his cameo in the 2016 film.
    Now, the author of the “Harry Potter” books and the screenwriter for the movie, J.K. Rowling, is defending the choice to keep him on board. If you don’t know, Johnny was accused of domestic violence by his ex wife Amber Heard. Johnny and Amber later settled their divorce in court.

FULL STATEMENT FROM JK ROWLING

“When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise,” she wrote on her website.
    Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.
    The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected. Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.
    I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.”
    Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News | Just Jared

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Now THAT’S how to make a posh statement saying not much more than, “We thought it would blow over. Bummer.”

Kinda lost the moral high ground there, didn’t ya, J.K.?
    idunno, Jadestone and BelledeJour like this.

I want to address the real elephant in the room - what the hell is going on in that Johnny Depp photo???

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I want to address the real elephant in the room - what the hell is going on in that Johnny Depp photo???
    That hair and mustache aren't doing him any favors....and he is one of my celebrity crushes from the 21 Jump Street days
    Jadestone likes this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

I could live without Johnny Depp in this movie. I don't know why JK Rowling can't. And I see (now) what Daniel is saying.
    Lalasnake, yanna, Fran and 2 others like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

He looks like an extra from Peaky Blinders. Still doesn't explain what happened to his eyebrows.
    Jadestone and dallison like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Everyone used to say he hadn't aged a day.....but in that photo he looks extremely worn out and haggard.....the hot is gone. the bloom is off the rose....
    HWBL and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Jack I swear.

Brilliant! I hate that photo.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I'm upset about the casting because I despise and loathe the man's "acting".
    Lalasnake likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information