Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Rose McGowan accuses Golden Globes guests in black of 'Hollywood fakery'

Default Rose McGowan accuses Golden Globes guests in black of 'Hollywood fakery'

'Not one of those fancy people wearing black to honor our rapes would have lifted a finger': Rose McGowan accuses Golden Globes guests of 'Hollywood fakery' after she skipped the ceremony to launch a trailer for new documentary instead

• McGowan hit out at the Hollywood elite who wore black at the Golden Globes as a protest against sexual misconduct in the industry
    • The former Charmed star told actress Asia Argento over Twitter that 'Not one of those fancy people wearing black to honor our rapes'
    • She accused those taking part of Hollywood fakery adding that none of them would have 'lifted a finger' if she hadn't come forward
    • In fact, several of the women who wore black at the Globes have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct including Ashley Judd
    • Judd was one of the original accusers in the bombshell New York Times article in October which exposed the scandal
    • McGowan also tweeted 'Alright Oprah' after the TV host made a moving speech about abuse that left many in tears
    • Meanwhile, McGowan skipped the awards and shared a trailer for her new documentary Citizen Rose

Rose McGowan has accused A-listers who wore black to the Golden Globes to protest the Harvey Weinstein sex scandal of 'Hollywood fakery.'
    The actress and director, who has been one of Weinstein's most vocal accusers, skipped the awards ceremony to release a trailer for her upcoming documentary.
    But she made her feelings about the Why We Wear Black movement clear, tweeting that: 'Not one of those fancy people wearing black to honor our rapes would have lifted a finger' if it hadn't been for her.
    The 44-year-old was responding to a tweet from Asia Argento, who also accuses disgraced former Miramax producer Weinstein of sexual assault. Argento tweeted that McGowan was 'the first one who broke the silence.'

'Anyone who tries to diminish your work is a troll and an enemy of the movement,' she added.
    'And not one of those fancy people wearing black to honor our rapes would have lifted a finger had it not been so,' McGowan replied. 'I have no time for Hollywood fakery, but you I love, .@AsiaArgento #RoseArmy.'
    It is not clear whether McGowan ever received an invite, although it does seem likely in the wake of her activism, she may have been asked to present an award.
    But Argento, 42, revealed she had most definitely not been invited, while fellow sexual abuse and harassment accusers Corey Feldman and Rosanna Arquette said they hadn't been either.

'Y was I ignored 2Nite? Do U C the hypocrisy here? Hollywood taking a stand in unity, when I wasn't invited?' Feldman asked Argento on Twitter, who replied 'Don't worry, I wasn't invited either.'
    She later added: 'Not only I wasn't invited to the #GoldenGlobes: nobody asked my opinion about #TIMESUP or to sign the letter. I support @TIMESUPNOW even though I was excluded from it. Guess I am not POWERFUL or HOLLYWOOD enough. Proud to work behind the scenes.'
    Arquette, who accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct, also tweeted 'We weren't invited. Annabella [Sciorra], Daryl [Hannah], Mira [Sorvino] … none of us were.'

'It would have been too much of a downer… an embarrassment,' Argento wrote. 'Victims aren't glamorous enough.'
    McGowan isn't alone in criticizing the Why We Wear Black movement. Studio 10's Jessica Rowe called the demonstration 'dumb' and suggested Hollywood's biggest stars should have boycotted the red carpet altogether for greater impact.
    Dozens of actresses took part in the Why We Wear Black movement - inspired by a movement called Time's Up that fights against sexual harassment and assault and generally poor working conditions for women in the entertainment industries.
    The movement's beginnings can be traced to this past October, when five women spoke with the New York Times about decades-spanning abuses by Weinstein.
    Actress Ashley Judd was one of the original five women to come forward to the Times and later in October elaborated in a Good Morning America interview about her fear when she found herself inside Weinstein's Beverly Hills hotel room back in 1996.

Judd was one of the many actresses who chose to wear black last night at the awards, alongside Salma Hayek, who claimed she was harassed and propositioned by Weinstein for close to a decade in a powerful op-ed published in December by the New York Times.
    Hayek, who also wore black to the awards, and Judd got ready together before the Golden Globes. Hayek uploaded an Instagram with the caption: 'With my date @ashley_judd heading to the #GoldenGlobes, as usual we are kind of tardy, even though #TimesUp!'
    The pair then arrived to the Globes and appeared on the red carpet together. But McGowan insisted that no one who dressed in black at the ceremony 'honored' her rape or would have taken any action if not for her own tweets about alleged abuse.
    Many at the awards touched upon the scandal that has rocked Hollywood and exposed abuse and harassment claims against some of its biggest executives and stars, during their speeches.
    But McGowan's name was conspicuously absent from proceedings.
    The former Charmed star also tweeted about Oprah Winfrey, who led the charge for female empowerment when she delivered a powerful speech urging men and women to work together to ensure no one ever has to utter the words 'Me Too' again.
    The actress and businesswoman, who received a lengthy standing ovation as she accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Award at Sunday's Globes ceremony, said she was honored to be the first black woman to receive the accolade.
    The 63-year-old, who left most of the audience in tears, said she'd been inspired by all the women who have bravely shared their personal stories of abuse.

'It's not just a story affecting the entertainment industry. It's one that transcends any culture, geography, race, religion, politics, or workplace. So I want tonight to express gratitude to all the women who have endured years of abuse and assault because they, like my mother, had children to feed and bills to pay and dreams to pursue.
    'I want all the girls watching here to know that a new day is on the horizon. When that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say 'Me too' again.'
    Oprah was sexually assaulted throughout her childhood, and has been very open about her experiences. She was raped by a cousin when she was just nine and later molested by an uncle and a friend of the family.
    Her speech was widely praised with some calling 'it one of the greatest American speeches' as others urged her to make a run for President in 2020.

But McGowan had just two words for the TV host: 'Alright Oprah.'
    She also tweeted about Trump aide Stephen Miller and CNN host Jake Tapper sparring it out on Tapper's show today, saying it was a 'turning point' for media coverage of Trump.
    McGowan reached a settlement with Weinstein over her harassment claims.
    Her life in the past three months will be chronicled in an upcoming E! documentary series called Citizen Rose.
    It is based on her Brave, which she described as part manifesto, part memoir, about her life growing up in Hollywood and the institutionalized sexism and misogyny she suffered.
    The documentary kicks off later this month with a two-hour feature-length episode following her involvement with the #MeToo campaign, from her accusations against Weinstein to her recent clash with Meryl Streep who she claims was aware of his attitude.

McGowan was one of the first women to publicly accuse disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein (pictured with her) of sexual misconduct

'You are formally invited into my mind and world,' said McGowan, who has moved into directing, of her new documentary. She will serve as an executive producer.

'As I ready my book, Brave, I realized I wanted to show how we can heal through art even when being hounded by evil. I want to have a conversation with everyone, and most especially, you, about looking at things differently and seeing beauty everywhere.
    The first episode of Citizen Rose will air on January 30 to coincide with the release of her memoir Brave. The remaining episodes will air in spring.
    As well as sharing her accusations of abuse, McGowan has also been very critical of other actresses for what she believes is a failure to speak out.
    A day after the Times story was published, McGowan tweeted that she was disappointed in the silence from actresses who had worked with Weinstein.
    'Ladies of Hollywood, your silence is deafening,' McGowan wrote.
    She has also attacked actresses such as Meryl Streep and her former Charmed co-star Alyssa Milano for their response to the Weinstein scandal.
    Weinstein has repeatedly denied 'allegations of non-consensual sex.'

Read more: Rose McGowan accuses stars in black of 'Hollywood fakery' | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Rose it's not about YOU. They aren't wearing black to honor YOUR rapes. Many features have experienced this in their lives. The ridiculousness of trying to co-op a movement and call it Rose's Army is beyond vulgar. She's a narcissist who road other people's bravery into the fray and then pretends if she screams the loudest people will believe her more. You're a hypocrite as well Rose who sat on it and used it to your advantage until it stopped working after a car accident damage your looks. Then you shaved your head and called yourself a feminist. You were silent for years because it got your roles.

She is not well. I say that with empathy, but she needs help and needs to back off this tirade. I'm all for her pushing for justice in regard to the sick, perverted people who are the real cause of this; however, there are also real victims who took part in the protest. If this is how they choose to speak up, demonstrate, or support other victims then so be it. Who is she to condemn them?

Yeah I don't think she can blanket it with I'm not famous enough. Hell Ashley Judd hasn't had a career in years but I gotta kind of agree if they were making a statement, maybe everyone should have been invited but as with anything else, you ain't pleasing everybody all the time and not some of the time either.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I was disappointed by her reaction. Whether or not she was invited to the ceremony, she should continue to leverage the attention to the cause and not make it about her and her feelings. The world can be changed, but not by bitching because not everyone participated the same way you did in the solution (or by wearing a black gown). Just my .02.

Ashley Judd was at the Globes.

Rose has no right to point out others' hypocrisy considering she still defends her director friend who was CONVICTED of raping a child on a friggin' film set.

I also think that considering Rose's comments, it bears point out that she herself didn't "lift a finger" when she accepted a monetary gift from Weinstein in exchange for her silence (which none of the other public victims did). Now she wants to swing around attacking other women (and note it's always women) who had nothing to do with it for not "speaking up"? Okay Rose, so why did your bank account matter more than "speaking up" to protect other actresses from Weinstein when you knew for a fact he was a rapist.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

And so it devolves.

So it's not just the perpetrator who is to blame. It's the people who abetted the perp by working for him. And then the people who knew the perp. And then the people who should have known about the perp. And now those who went to a party that Rose (and Corey Feldman, LMAO) weren't invited to. And wore black.

You know I completely understand that the entire system needs rebuilding. This pay for play environment has existed for years and it won't come undone in pieces, imo. It needs demolishing. But I don't know, the constant finger pointing has a Salem's witch hunt vibe to me.

I don't think wearing black does one damn thing for women but it does no harm either. Rose and others like her should do the things they think will affect change and never mind this harmless (pointless) stuff.

Also, it reads like she and the others are still primarily concerned with being on TV.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

czb

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post

Also, it reads like she and the others are still primarily concerned with being on TV.
    people are loyal to their paychecks. plus, i think people who are in entertainment need adoration & attention. rose's posts just make me more sad than angry.

i agree with you about not blaming the WOMEN. blame the men who harrassed and those who aided them.

it might be that wearing black does nothing. or maybe it raises awareness. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    people are loyal to their paychecks. plus, i think people who are in entertainment need adoration & attention. rose's posts just make me more sad than angry.
    just seems such twisted logic: I'm the original victim (no you weren't), why wasn't I invited to the party?

Guess that's Hollywood for you.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

czb

^^^ yeah, she is bitter. but she just makes me sad.
    C_is_for_Cookie and idunno like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    You should read what she has to say about her new show on E! because that's not making her look all that great either.

Her cheese is sliding off her cracker. I hope she’s getting some help.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

the rose mcgowan trainwreck is so fucking tiresome. someone needs to shut her up and take her twitter away, for her own good.
    and now E! is exploiting her meltdown by giving her her own reality series.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

^^^ like E! is the moral epicenter ... they're the ones who foisted the kardashians on us.

remember when E! was about creating documentaries about the history of hollywood? before ted C and ryan S, E! was interesting. now, it's just depressing.

Elite Member

The Golden Globes wasn't a rally organized against sexual harassment and violence toward women. Women in Hollywood used the Globes as a platform to let their voices be heard. If you weren't invited to the party, you weren't invited. If this had been a rally, then I would get Rose being upset, but this was just a public event they used to garner some awareness and support.
    Annika, idunno, dallison and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information