Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Ray Thomas, Flute Player and Founding Member of the Moody Blues, Dead at 76

Default Ray Thomas, Flute Player and Founding Member of the Moody Blues, Dead at 76

Ray Thomas, whose band the Moody Blues helped forge a new psychedelic sound, dies at 76

Ray Thomas performing with the Moody Blues in Las Vegas in 2001. He co-founded the British rock group in 1964. (Ethan Miller/Reuters)
    By staff reports and news services January 7 at 9:14 PM
    Ray Thomas, a British flutist and singer-songwriter who co-founded the Moody Blues, whose psychedelic mix of synthesizers, guitars and classically-inspired orchestral arrangements helped establish the genre known as progressive rock in the late 1960s, died Jan. 4 at his home in Surrey, south of London. He was 76, and was scheduled to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with his bandmates in April.
    His music labels, Cherry Red Records and Esoteric Recordings, announced the death but did not disclose the cause. Mr. Thomas said in 2014 that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
    Mr. Thomas performed in rock and blues bands in the English city of Birmingham before founding the Moody Blues in 1964 with fellow musicians including keyboardist Mike Pinder and guitarist and singer Denny Laine.
    The band’s roots lay in blues and R&B, but its 1964 cover of Bessie Banks’s “Go Now” was a foretaste of the lush, orchestral sound that came to be called progressive rock.
    Their 1967 album “Days of Future Passed” is considered a prog-rock landmark, and featured a signature flute solo by Mr. Thomas on the single “Nights in White Satin.” The album was credited as a model for popular 1970s groups such as Yes, Genesis and Supertramp.
    The Moody Blues in 2001, featuring Mr. Thomas alongside guitarist Justin Hayward, bassist John Lodge and drummer Graeme Edge. (Ethan Miller/Reuters)
    Raymond Thomas was born in Stourport-on-Severn, near Birmingham, on Dec. 29, 1941. He sang in a choir as a teenager and was inspired to learn the flute from a grandfather who played the instrument, according to the website All Music.
    Mr. Thomas wrote several songs for the Moody Blues, including the trippy “Legend of a Mind” and “Veteran Cosmic Rocker,” and released two solo albums after the band broke up in 1974. The Moody Blues later reformed, and Mr. Thomas remained a member before leaving in 2002 because of poor health.
    He married Lee Lightle in 2009. A complete list of survivors was not immediately available.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.03440827682e

Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

panic and Mrs P like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

RIP. I'll admit I probably play Nights in White Satin like twice a week at least? Oh, and in elementary school where you had to play an instrument, I chose the flute thanks to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    RIP. I'll admit I probably play Nights in White Satin like twice a week at least? Oh, and in elementary school where you had to play an instrument, I chose the flute thanks to him.
    He would've been honored to know that!

Here is a video of him singing one of his compositions that was on a 1991 Moody Blues album. He is singing it a cappella in his beautiful, baritone voice, inside an empty, historical church. The fact that he has a kitten in his lap makes it more special.

panic and Mrs P like this.

Over the summer there was a meeting of the minds in my house about the lyrics of Nights in White Satin. BIL is asking MIL why knights would wear white satin. She goes into a whole explanation about medieval knights jousting and wearing a woman's tribute. I was in the kitchen like Clearly, no one was listening the lyrics that were playing. Like, what planet do you people live on??
    Mrs P, Bluebonnet and Trixie like this.

I love the Moody Blues. RIP.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Another song I never tire of listening to.
    Bluebonnet, Mrs P and Waterslide like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

"Legend of A Mind" 1992 from Live at Red Rocks DVD:

ConstanceSpry, Mrs P and panic like this.

Cleaning the spit out of the flute was a pain in the arse though, but worth it I guess.

EDIT: after listening to the above song, was flute melody used for the movie Braveheart?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    "Legend of A Mind" 1992 from Live at Red Rocks DVD:

We were at the Red Rocks concert! Thought I was gonna keel over climbing up to our seats. We also saw them at the Tower Theater in Philly and at the world arena inColorado Springs. Hubby is a big fan.
    panic, Mrs P and Bluebonnet like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Days of Future Past definitely takes me to the past. I've always loved Nights in White Satin and also Tuesday Afternoon. This live version is kinda cool.

Bluebonnet, Mrs P and panic like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

This one takes me right back to high school. Love it:

Bluebonnet and panic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Days of Future Past definitely takes me to the past. I've always loved Nights in White Satin and also Tuesday Afternoon. This live version is kinda cool.

This video reminds me of why I used to totally like musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Good lord, Justin Hayward was hot! (He actually still is. ) In a silver fox kind of way.

Trixie and Mrs P like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This one takes me right back to high school. Love it:

Won't you take me back to school
    I need to learn the Golden Rule....
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information