Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Lana Del Ray sued by Radiohead for similarities to Creep

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Lana Del Ray sued by Radiohead for similarities to Creep

Lana Del Rey says Radiohead are suing her

Pop star Lana Del Rey says she's being sued by Radiohead for copying their breakthrough single, Creep.
    It was rumoured over the weekend that the British band were taking action over Get Free, the closing track of Del Rey's latest album, Lust For Life.
    The singer then confirmed the news on Twitter, saying: "It's true about the lawsuit."
    She said she'd offered Radiohead 40% of the publishing royalties, but their "relentless" lawyers wanted 100%.
    Skip Twitter post by @LanaDelRey

Lana Del Rey
    @LanaDelRey

Itís true about the lawsuit. Although I know my song wasnít inspired by Creep, Radiohead feel it was and want 100% of the publishing - I offered up to 40 over the last few months but they will only accept 100. Their lawyers have been relentless, so we will deal with it in court.
    6:05 PM - Jan 7, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

End of Twitter post by @LanaDelRey

"Although I know my song wasn't inspired by Creep, Radiohead feel it was and want 100% of the publishing," she said.
    "I offered up to 40 over the last few months but they will only accept 100. Their lawyers have been relentless, so we will deal with it in court."

Musician Owen Pallett observed that Radiohead's allegations are most likely to be based on the chord progression in the song's respective verses.

However, he noted, the case might not be the result of "Radiohead sitting around feeling annoyed about a stolen chord progression, this just might be their lawyers being lawyers."
    Skip Twitter post by @owenpallettEnd of Twitter post by @owenpallett

Interestingly, Radiohead themselves were successfully sued by The Hollies over Creep's similarities to The Air That I Breathe.
    Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood are now listed as co-writers for the song, and split royalties with the band.
    Radiohead have yet to respond to Del Rey's claims.

Lana Del Rey says Radiohead are suing her - BBC News

Comparison:

rollo likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

And for anyone who isn't familiar with The Hollies track that Radiohead had to give co-writers credit on Creep for.

ConstanceSpry likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Link for US peeps - above link said not available for the US

I think that Lana's song is a total rip off and I hate to say that because I like her.
    holly and Kittylady like this.

Hey Radiohead. STFU. I don't even like her but you are a bunch of whiny bitches who hate that song anyway and hate your fans that do like it.
    dallison, holly, Beeyotch and 5 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I was listening to a comparison this morning of the 3. While, they're all played in different keys the note progression on Creep and Lana's song is nearly identical to The Air that I Breathe.

I never noticed that about Creep's similarities to Air That I Breathe. Ha. I like both songs.

I think these are hard cases because I believe both scenarios happen, where it can be an innocent coincidence or truly subconscious rip-off but in other cases it's a blatant, knowing rip-off.
    holly, sputnik, MsDark and 2 others like this.

Interestingly, Radiohead themselves were successfully sued by The Hollies over Creep's similarities to The Air That I Breathe.
    Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood are now listed as co-writers for the song, and split royalties with the band.
    So if anyone should be suing, shouldn't it be The Hollies? How very hypocritical of Radiohead, especially since The Hollies agreed to split royalties with them, but they won't do the same for Lana Del Rey?

Weird. I hear the similarities from Lana's song to Creep, but not to the Hollies. Maybe because I know both songs and are used to the melodies?
    Nevan and Lalasnake like this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I never noticed that about Creep's similarities to Air That I Breathe. Ha. I like both songs.

I think these are hard cases because I believe both scenarios happen, where it can be an innocent coincidence or truly subconscious rip-off but in other cases it's a blatant, knowing rip-off.
    yeah you can hear the similarities especially at the beginning. the chorus is totally different though.

i definitely think both can happen as well, no one can shut off their subconscious when writing a song. besides, it's not like radiohead haven't proven themselves capable of being brilliant and original. unlike poor lana, all her songs sound like derivative rip-offs.
    rollo and Lalasnake like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I never noticed the similarities between the Hollies & RH!
    But Lana DelDouche's song is a blatant copy.
    "Although I know my song wasn’t inspired by Creep..." - Bullshit, bitch, it's a clone, right down to the lyric tempo!
    Kittylady, HWBL, MsDark and 1 others like this.

I think this happens more than people realize. Years ago we went to see our friend's band in a local gig. They played original music. At one point they started off a song with a guitar riff and room went nuts and people started singing along,....... to a Peter Frampton song....whoops. They didn't even realize they plagiarized it note for note. The rest of the song was different but that one got axed from their repertoire. We cringed for them.
    Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    Weird. I hear the similarities from Lana's song to Creep, but not to the Hollies. Maybe because I know both songs and are used to the melodies?
    So do I, I was expecting a totally different song in the Hollies video, but once it started playing I was like "Oh, that song; no, sounds nothing like the other 2 to me". Lana's on the other hand, I immediately notice the similarities to Creep...
    emkat and Lalasnake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    So do I, I was expecting a totally different song in the Hollies video, but once it started playing I was like "Oh, that song; no, sounds nothing like the other 2 to me". Lana's on the other hand, I immediately notice the similarities to Creep...

If you listen to Brian Justin Crumb's slowed down version of Creep you can hear the similarity to the Hollie's up until the chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDIQfTdKWuY

Radiohead still play Creep live. I can't remember which festival it was at but it was recent. Team Radiohead by far. Lana Del Rey is an autotuned joke.
    HWBL and Mivvi21 like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Yeah they play it and then bitch about it. I can't stand whiners that bitch about their biggest hits for whatever reason. They should still STFU and I'm Team Neither One of These Cunts.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information