Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Hugh Jackman on his reputation for being nice: ‘it’s just being a normal person’

Default Hugh Jackman on his reputation for being nice: ‘it’s just being a normal person’

On his swan song as Wolverine in Logan
    “I wish I’d started playing him like that 17 years ago. So there’s some sense of missed opportunity, but when I saw ‘Logan,’ I sat there and I did have tears in my eyes. The main feeling I had was: ‘There, that’s the character. I feel like I’ve done it now.’ And I was calm and at peace, but I’m going to miss that guy.”

On his physique, he’s said this before

“People always say to me, ‘Why are you in such good shape?’ and I always answer, ‘If I told you that you were going to be on film on a 40-foot screen with your shirt off, you’d be in good shape too.’”

He dismisses compliments that he’s nice and accommodating to fans

“It’s the way I was brought up. My parents always treated people with great respect. My father never yelled, and I admired that. I also genuinely love the family aspect of what we do, and I feel more comfortable being relaxed and myself with everybody, rather than a feeling of ‘Oh, I’m a big actor; you can’t talk to me.’ My way of connecting — maybe people attribute it as being nice, but it’s just being a normal person.”

[From Variety]

Cele|bitchy | Hugh Jackman on his reputation for being nice: ?it?s just being a normal person?

I love him.
    Angeli, GRuser1 and BelledeJour like this.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

^^ Me too.
    Angeli and GRuser1 like this.

We need more people considering that 'nice' is just 'normal'
    Kittylady, Geest, tulip and 10 others like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

What's not to love about Hugh Jackman?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    We need more people considering that 'nice' is just 'normal'
    Absolutely! We live in a world where many people have forgotten about common decency. (Oh boy, did that make me sound like my mom!)
    Tiny Pixie, Kittylady and Annika like this.

I love him but I'm so sad he's not going to be Wolverine anymore. I just can't picture anyone else.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I like Hugh Jackman. I really like his name, lol. But my paranoid little brain is wondering if there's not more to his nice guy image than meets the eye. He's just too likable!
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

Until proven otherwise I am just going to keep assuming he really is a nice, normal guy in a crazy profession.
    Mrs P and lindsaywhit like this.

Love him and his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Absolutely! We live in a world where many people have forgotten about common decency. (Oh boy, did that make me sound like my mom!)
    My mom is the nicest person ever. She is genuinely nice. And I hate how she sometimes is branded a simpleton or weak minded just because she's nice.
    I'm fed up with that society putting bullies on a pedestal because they "have such a strong personality" / "charisma".
    Kittylady, Angeli, tulip and 7 others like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Bronze Member

I hate saying this as I am very sceptical but Hugh's 'nice' has always seemed far TOO good to be true and far TOO perfect for my cynical inner mind especially when I also work in the industry and see daily how 'image' is manufactured/manipulated and how it always has dual ulterior motives related to nasty things like sales, money, ego, image and pretension.

If the studios could clone him THEY WOULD as he has absolutely no problems doing the hard sell for whatever he is currently in whether crap or good, which IS part of his job but he does take it to a whole new level even if in a friendly gentleman like way.

But I'll try put my sceptical mind aside and believe Hugh is the nice guy he's been sold to us to be until I find out otherwise. I did meet him once and for that brief period he DID seem to be the 'nice guy' he's so good at being sold as. It was certainly different than dealing with someone like Russell Crowe which I have also had experience with where his ego completely out-shined any niceness and generosity he might have possessed.

No, it's not fake - he's been around too long - someone would have had a story or ten about less than lovely behavior. I do believe he's gay, and probably in a long term relationship, but I also believe he and his wife genuinely love each other. What that love includes or does not include is none of my damn business.

He posted a photo on his Facebook page today of them at the theatre and he called her “my love.” He adores her, that has always been obvious. Not sure about the rest.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by secretgoldfish View Post
    I hate saying this as I am very sceptical but Hugh's 'nice' has always seemed far TOO good to be true and far TOO perfect for my cynical inner mind especially when I also work in the industry and see daily how 'image' is manufactured/manipulated and how it always has dual ulterior motives related to nasty things like sales, money, ego, image and pretension.

If the studios could clone him THEY WOULD as he has absolutely no problems doing the hard sell for whatever he is currently in whether crap or good, which IS part of his job but he does take it to a whole new level even if in a friendly gentleman like way.

But I'll try put my sceptical mind aside and believe Hugh is the nice guy he's been sold to us to be until I find out otherwise. I did meet him once and for that brief period he DID seem to be the 'nice guy' he's so good at being sold as. It was certainly different than dealing with someone like Russell Crowe which I have also had experience with where his ego completely out-shined any niceness and generosity he might have possessed.
    A set driver from the XMen movie (Montreal) actually told me one drunken night last summer a lot about some actors ...Hugh is the real deal and his family was on set all the time. I said, but he's gay, you do know that? The driver (who IS gay) said, No, he's not. WHO TOLD you THAT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information