Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: James Van Der Beek & Terry Crews: I've Been Sexually Harassed By Male Producers

Default James Van Der Beek & Terry Crews: I've Been Sexually Harassed By Male Producers

James Van Der Beek’s story of sexual abuse is a powerful reminder that men can be victims too

It’s a reminder that the power dynamic inherent in sexual violence affects us all

Rachel Leah10.12.2017•12:26 PM •0 Comments
    0 Comments

The power dynamic central to most sexual harassment and assault cases is now front-and-center in headlines and social media thanks to the various exposés detailing producer Harvey Weinstein's alleged three decades of sexual abuse to actors, employees, reporters and more. Yet, as more revelations of harassment and violence toward women emerge, the less talked about fact that men can be and often are victims of sexual abuse too is coming to the fore.

On Wednesday, actor James Van Der Beek bravely revealed on Twitter some of his early career experiences involving sexual harassment. "I’ve had my ass grabbed by older, powerful men, I’ve had them corner me in inappropriate sexual conversations when I was much younger . . . ," he wrote.
    I’ve had my ass grabbed by older, powerful men, I’ve had them corner me in inappropriate sexual conversations when I was much younger...
    — James Van Der Beek (@vanderjames) October 12, 2017
    "I understand the unwarranted shame, powerlessness & inability to blow the whistle," he continued. "There’s a power dynamic that feels impossible to overcome."
    I understand the unwarranted shame, powerlessness & inability to blow the whistle. There’s a power dynamic that feels impossible to overcome
    Van Der Beek began his Twitter statements by saying "What Weinstein is being accused of is criminal," he said. "I applaud everybody speaking out."
    What Weinstein is being accused of is criminal. What he’s admitted to is unacceptable - in any industry. I applaud everybody speaking out.

Report Ad

The "Dawson's Creek" actor's disclosure came after another man in the industry, Terry Crews, shared his own episode of sexual harassment in Hollywood, noting that the Weinstein spiraling list of allegations were giving him "PTSD." The actor, who is 6'3 and well over 200 pounds, described the time a "high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates" at a function last year in front of his wife. He too felt silenced by the high-profile executive's power and influence.
    No doubt, women still make up the majority of victims of sexual harassment and assault, but the number of men coming forth with their stories of abuse is rising. In 2011, men made up 16.1 percent of complaints of sexual harassment. By 2013, that number increased to 17.6 percent, according to harassment charges filed to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. One out of every 10 rape victims is male, RAINN reports. A National Crime Victimization Survey found that 38 percent of sexual violence incidents in households were against men.
    While shame is something sexual abuse victims of all genders face, men have to navigate a series of barriers somewhat different from women when coming forward with their stories. As Slate explained, even the FBI definition of rape had long left out men: "For years, the FBI defined forcible rape, for data collecting purposes, as 'the carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will.'” This description was not rectified until 2012.
    Traditional and archaic standards associated with masculinity and vulnerability have not helped to open up space for men to talk about their own experiences of sexual violence. Indeed, trying to appear "strong," trying to appear like a "real man," often prevents victims from coming forward and beginning the healing process. In attempting to meet society's standard of the tough, masculine male, victimized men often make themselves weaker, opening themselves up to untreated PTSD and other forms of mental illness, substance abuse and suicide. It's something we've all seen in the wake of church abuse scandals and studies of prison populations, but the footprint of sexual harassment and sexual violence toward men is far wider than that.

Last edited by BITTER; October 13th, 2017 at 02:31 PM.
    Lalasnake and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

I've been waiting for men to come out. Hoping more than just James will speak out.
    You can't tell me that its all been exclusively just men preying on women. Pffht... ya right!

Terry Crews spoke out as well. One of the last men I would expect to have been harassed.
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Don’t put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

Terry speaks out:

If you’re surprised by Terry Crews’ harassment admission, then you don’t know Terry Crews

Admitting he was sexually accosted by a Hollywood executive is just another example of Crews’ openness

Matthew Rozsa10.11.2017•1:24 PM •0 Comments
    0 Comments

When "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" star Terry Crews took to Twitter on Tuesday to discuss the sexual harassment allegations against Harvey Weinstein, he opened up about his own victimization at the hands of the Hollywood elite as well. In this, he was only continuing his pronounced trend of being a total mensch.

First, read Crews' tweet essay in full.
    This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME. (1/Cont.)
    — terrycrews (@terrycrews) October 10, 2017

My wife n I were at a Hollywood function last year n a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates. (2/cont.)

Jumping back I said What are you doing?! My wife saw everything n we looked at him like he was crazy. He just grinned like a jerk. (3/cont.)

I was going to kick his ass right then— but I thought twice about how the whole thing would appear. (4/cont.)

“240 lbs. Black Man stomps out Hollywood Honcho” would be the headline the next day. (5/cont.)

Only I probably wouldn’t have been able to read it because I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL. So we left.
    (6/cont.)

That night and the next day I talked to everyone I knew that worked with him about what happened. (7/cont.)

Report Ad

He called me the next day with an apology but never really explained why he did what he did. (8/cont.)

I decided not 2 take it further becuz I didn’t want 2b ostracized— par 4 the course when the predator has power n influence. (9/cont.)

I let it go. And I understand why many women who this happens to let it go. (10/cont.)

Who’s going 2 believe you? ( few) What r the repercussions?(many) Do u want 2 work again? (Yes) R you prepared 2b ostracized?(No)(11/cont.)

I love what I do. But it’s a shame and the height of disappointment when someone tries to takes advantage of that. (12/cont.)

He knows who he is. But sumtimes Uhav2 wait & compare notes w/ others who’ve been victimized in order 2gain a position of strength. (13cont)

I understand and empathize with those who have remained silent. But Harvey Weinstein is not the only perpetrator. (14/cont.)

Hollywood is not the only business we’re this happens, and to the casualties of this behavior— you are not alone. (15/cont.)

Hopefully, me coming forward with my story will deter a predator and encourage someone who feels hopeless. (16/end)
    Wisher, Lalasnake, yanna and 4 others like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Sometimes when I read blind items or other gossip items that allude to anyone's odd or hostile behavior in Hollywood, being a sexual abuse survivor myself, I always wonder what is behind the behavior. That blond UK actor from Magic Mike, several others have been accused of being standoffish and hostile...could this be why? Why'd Amanda Bynes go off the rails? Lindsay? Corey Haim?
    sputnik, mopar, sprynkles and 6 others like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Whoever it was that was putting out the unwanted sexual advances on TC must've been extremely powerful, drunk/high, or all of the above! He could've stomped their ass out in a second. But he's right. HE would be the "bad guy" if he had made this guy at one with the dirt. It's so unfortunate that he couldn't do anything about it at the time.
    MsDark, Wisher, BITTER and 3 others like this.

Hollywood attracts either really talented people, or assholes. Sometimes an unfortunate combo of both. WHY?
    Wisher and Lalasnake like this.

Bitter, I'm so sorry that you had to endure abuse too. Hugs to you my friend.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Hollywood attracts either really talented people, or assholes. Sometimes an unfortunate combo of both. WHY?
    Because of the reward of positive attention.

They get told how great they are all the time. It sometimes breeds horrible attitudes.
    Lalasnake, Angeli and Wisher like this.

Silver Member

@Bitter sorry to hear that, it sucks.

I'm glad both James and Terry came forward and hopefully it continues to open up the conversation and the spotlight on abuse.
    Lalasnake and BITTER like this.
    Reset my laptop and my old name Wisher came up when I logged in.
    Eat it, it'll put hairs on your chest
    Well, dye me red and call me blondie

Thanks y'all. It happened on my first ship in the Navy...a so-called "initiation"....I was a storekeeper and we shared the berthing with engineers, some of the most disgusting excuses for humans you'd ever want to meet. They thought that they'd welcome me by attempting to pull down my pants...I protested and ended up trying to strangle one of the guys. I was told that they did that only to people that they liked :wow:. I was barely 18, what did I know? They even tried to buy me a drink at the enlisted club later!!!! There are no boundaries on some of those ships. Being young and deeply closeted, needless to say it all made me very uncomfortable. But coming from the dysfunctional household I was raised in, being molested in summer camp...my boundaries were not strong...I was threatened with sexual assault more than once...and it wasn't just talk. I had to play tough and tell folks that I slept with a knife under my mattress...scary times. Suffice it to say that it leaves scars.

Even if none of these men and women were raped, to be groped and touched in a sexual way against your will is almost as traumatic. I'm still jumpy around a bunch of guys, to be honest.

Let me stop. The more I write about it, the more I want Weinstein dead...getting a little angry.

If the producer that groped a fucking NFL linebacker is that damn bold, then he needs to be named and shamed because lord knows what he's done to twink built guys.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The thing I'm really glad about with Terry Crews coming forward is that
    a) it's recent and
    b) he's pointing out that it's not easy to speak out or to identify your attacker.

The whole narrative since the Weinstein news came out of the blind items and into the NYT has been "why didn't these women come forward sooner?" Well - hello. This is why. If Terry Crews can be sexually assaulted and be afraid to come out about it, then why do you find it so hard to believe that a petite emerging actress would name names?!

Reading about the crazy grin makes me think of Tom Cruise.
    Sassiness likes this.

Silver Member

^ I'm seeing a lot of men finally understanding the reasons *why* women don't want to come forward, won't name names etc.. Since now they've got TC coming out about the same thing and explaining it to them, they are finally beginning to understand. Of course this hasn't stopped a lot of men still victim-blaming the women and finding excuses to shame them on why it's their own fault, but hey. Baby steps at least.

I guess it's true for those men at least what Roseanne said "It's not true unless a man says it".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information