Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Serena Williams On Motherhood: 'I'm About to Become a Real Woman'

Default Serena Williams On Motherhood: 'I'm About to Become a Real Woman'

On birthing videos: “I don’t think watching birthing videos helps. I actually think it makes it worse. Having a baby, nothing is guaranteed.”

How a baby will affect her game:
    “That’s the scariest thing. [But] I think [giving birth] will give me more strength, if that’s possible, and a lot more confidence. I feel like I will be ready for anything.”

The idea of giving birth:
    “I have so much respect for so many women [for giving birth]. I am about to be a real woman now, you know? It’s going to be something incredibly impressive to go through.”

Growing up as a devout Jehovah’s Witness:
    “I really like how I grew up. I had a lot of humility. No matter what’s happened, I am the most level-headed person you will ever meet. I am no better than anyone else. It’s something we are working on: ‘How do we keep our baby humble?’ We haven’t come up with an answer yet, but having a strong spiritual background helps. I really think we have to keep referencing the importance of humility.”

Alexis Ohanian is taking a daddy-class:
    “Who knows, maybe it’s a gambling class, maybe they hang out and have beers or watch sport,” Williams jokes. She is actually a little envious. “I have never been around babies. I need a Baby 101 class — they don’t have one for the women! He’ll probably know more [than me] after his four-hour course.”

Whether she’ll force her kid to play tennis:
    “Whatever they want to do, they can do. If they want to be a piano player, I’m here to support them. I’m not going to say, ‘You have to play tennis.’ I wouldn’t even put a tennis racket in their hand. That may be a little bit of pressure. What they want to do is up to them.”

She doesn’t get why she’s compared to male players: “Why are they not comparing Roger [Federer] to me? There are barriers I hope to break so my baby, whether boy or girl, won’t have to live under those stipulations. I definitely am a feminist. I like to stick up for women and women’s rights. So many things happen and I just think, ‘Wow, why don’t we have a chance?’ If that makes me a feminist, I am proud to be one.”

[From The Melbourne Herald Sun]

Cele|bitchy | Serena Williams on giving birth: ?I am about to be a real woman now?

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    ...No matter what’s happened, I am the most level-headed person you will ever meet. ...

[From The Melbourne Herald Sun]

Cele|bitchy | Serena Williams on giving birth: ?I am about to be a real woman now?
    she says *that* in an article about humility??
    arie_skop likes this.

le sigh

despite my vagina, breasts, estrogen and cervix, I must accept I will never be a real woman.

the real woman comment must be some natural instinct of pregnancy, almost every woman seems to say it as some point

czb

^^^ i know i didn't say it. i was too scared of childbirth. so call me scaredy cat mom. *shrugs*
    HWBL, sprynkles, BITTER and 5 others like this.

czb, our gossip rocks mamas are too self aware to make such idiotic comments. But having a baby IS very womanly, so I understand why some women feel the urge to celebrate the woman angle. And Serena has been very proud/enjoying of every aspect of her pregnancy. This can only mean good things for this baby, he or she will be very loved I hope.

Oh that "I'm going to be a real woman" thing that happens only when you are pregnant. I can't believe publicists never tell their clients how much the general population dislikes that cliche.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Belly button!! That is all i see!

Well, I guess I'll never be a "real woman" then since I do not want children, and never intend to become a mother. Her comments show her narrow minded, outdated way of thinking.
    HWBL, Mrs P, Janus and 1 others like this.

Well f you serena

Well, she has been constantly nagged about her height, her muscles and her "manly" playing style, more than once her being transgender has been hinted at. So I give her that. As an unreal woman (never for one second wanted a kid), I think she comes across quite entitled here, not level headed.
    HWBL, crayzeehappee and Honeythorn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    le sigh

despite my vagina, breasts, estrogen and cervix, I must accept I will never be a real woman.

the real woman comment must be some natural instinct of pregnancy, almost every woman seems to say it as some point
    Rest assured, there ARE still some of us (a minority, I know) who don't say stupid crap like that. What I find the most amusing myself, is that often these "real" women and "great" mother animals are actually some of the worst mothers around. Why? Well, for one because they are so judgemental about other women who choose not to procreate or (how dare they!) rather have abortions than to fail as a parent. And that is the "example" they set for their offspring. So: they fail at being (real) women and mothers, bigly.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I got the "real woman" crap from women who didn't have a C-section and were going on about how they gave birth like nature intents and not like I did. So even if you do breed there's no escape from that bs.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

If in order to be a 'real' woman you have to have your own children (through the vag, natch), what do you have to do to be a 'real' man?
    gas_chick, Brah, Mivvi21 and 4 others like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If in order to be a 'real' woman you have to have your own children (through the vag, natch), what do you have to do to be a 'real' man?

Be born with the XY chromosomes. Or at least that's how it feels sometimes.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I remember saying "I'm a woman now". It was when I was 12, and started my period.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information