• 6 Post By MsDark
  • 5 Post By idunno
  • 4 Post By ana-mish-ana
  • 5 Post By tulip
  • 2 Post By Trixie
  • 1 Post By Wisher

Thread: Elon Musk tweets about his 'bipolar' disorder

Default Elon Musk tweets about his 'bipolar' disorder

Elon Musk reveals he is bipolar in candid tweets about 'terrible lows and unrelenting stress' from depression

• Tesla founder Elon Musk said he suffers from bipolar disorder on Twitter
    • He revealed this when someone asked about the highs and lows of his life
    • The 46-year-old said he has 'great highs, terrible lows, and unrelenting stress'

By Abigail Miller For Dailymail.com
    PUBLISHED: 16:46, 31 July 2017 | UPDATED: 20:36, 31 July 2017

Elon Musk has revealed he suffers from bipolar disorder in a series of tweets on Monday morning that gave unprecedented insight into his personal life.
    The Tesla founder opened up in candid replies to questions from other Twitter users about his mental state, sharing some of the turmoil he experiences every day.
    'The reality is great highs, terrible lows and unrelenting stress. Don't think people want to hear about the last two,' he wrote in one tweet.
    The 46-year-old also replied to someone who asked him if he was bipolar, saying 'yeah.'

+4

Tesla founder Elon Musk, pictured September 2016, gave insight into his personal life in a series of tweets on Monday morning

He replied candidly to questions by other Twitter users about his mental state, sharing some of the turmoil he experiences day-by-day

Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition characterized by episodes of feeling very high and very low. Everyone experiences ups and downs in their everyday life, but bipolar shifts a person's mood so quickly and severely than it has a serious impact in a person's life.
    Previous research has revealed that the condition may affect heart rhythms, increase blood pressure and alter clotting. There are more than 3.3 million American adults with the disorder, which is typically diagnosed by a medical professional.

He followed up in another tweet just minutes later saying: 'Maybe not medically tho [sic]. Dunno. Bad feelings correlate to bad events, so maybe real problem is getting carried away in what I sign up for.'
    When asked about how he deals with the lows in his life, he said: 'Take the pain and make sure you really care about what you're doing.'
    Though Musk hasn't been diagnosed by a psychiatrist, endless research shows the link between high levels of stress and depression.

+4

The 46-year-old billionaire also replied to someone who asked him if he was bipolar, saying 'yeah'

Musk also replied to someone who asked if he was bipolar, saying 'yeah,' before clarifying that he hasn't been diagnosed by a medical professional

He also said he gets through each day by taking the pain and making sure he cares about what he is doing
    Sustained or chronic stress, like what is caused at a high-power job, causes elevated levels of hormones like cortisol, and reduced serotonin and other neurotransmitters in the brain. This imbalance has been directly linked to depression.
    Depression affects more than 300 million people a year worldwide, a figure that is steadily climbing.
    Additionally, researchers have explored links between technology and depression, finding that because people are more widely using smartphones and tablets, workers are under constant pressure to reply to texts and calls while they are away from the office.
    The technology blurs the lines between work and home and can cause serious mental health problems.

+4

Musk also has background with stress in his personal relationships. He has been married three times, most recently to British model and actress Talulah Riley, who he married twice. Their final divorce was finalized at the end of 2016

+4

He is now dating Amber Heard, who only recently filed for divorce from her ex-husband Johnny Depp. The two were married in 2014 and separated in 2016

Musk also has background with stress in his personal relationships.
    He has been married three times, most recently to British model and actress Talulah Riley, who he married twice. The couple were first married in 2010, but later split up in 2012. Just months later, the two remarried.
    In 2014 he filed for a second divorce from Riley, before redacting the paperwork. Finally, in March of 2016, Riley filed for divorce from Musk, and the split was finalized by the end of the year.
    Musk's battle with depression and possible bipolar disorder could have impacted his past relationships.
    He is now dating Amber Heard, who only recently filed for divorce from her ex-husband Johnny Depp. The two were married in 2014 and separated in 2016 after she accused him of domestic abuse.
    A number of other celebrities and people in high-power jobs have spoken up about their struggles with depression. American fashion designer Tom Ford has also shared his experience with the disorder.
    Celebrities have also spoken out about bipolar disorder, including Stephen Fry and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
    Singer Demi Lovato opened up about living with the disorder in 2016, and said she first made her diagnosis public to shed light on the condition.

Read more: Elon Musk tweets about depression and bipolar disorder | Daily Mail Online

I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

So he says he is bipolar, but "not medically, tho". Sound like an half apology for being an asshat.
    OCD, Penelope, redcat and 7 others like this.

OCD

Man, I was prepared to open this thread and say it's awesome that he's disclosing. But now I'm just irritated. You aren't bipolar if you're not "medically bipolar".

I'm "medically" bipolar and I don't tell people because so many idiots claim the title that people no longer even understand what bipolar is. It's not being a drama queen bitch, despite the stereotype. I certainly would never say I was bipolar, but not like actually medically bipolar. Wtf is this shit? Fuck off Elon you rich whiner. Go retire if you're so fucking stressed. Bitch please.

You would think someone with his money would have the resources to get the best medical treatment possible. So...yeah.
    Mrs P, Wisher, idunno and 1 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Oh fuck you, dude. You're not bipolar. You're a douche.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Either way, I don't think this is what Amber signed up for.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Either way, I don't think this is what Amber signed up for.
    She signed up for the money. It's not like Johnny Depp has a wonderful personality.
    MsDark, Wisher, Mrs P and 2 others like this.

Sounds more like narcissism than bipolar...
    Mrs P, Wisher, Kittylady and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    Man, I was prepared to open this thread and say it's awesome that he's disclosing. But now I'm just irritated. You aren't bipolar if you're not "medically bipolar".

I'm "medically" bipolar and I don't tell people because so many idiots claim the title that people no longer even understand what bipolar is. It's not being a drama queen bitch, despite the stereotype. I certainly would never say I was bipolar, but not like actually medically bipolar. Wtf is this shit? Fuck off Elon you rich whiner. Go retire if you're so fucking stressed. Bitch please.
    Same here. I thought great, someone big is disclosing it, but not really bipolar?

I'm "medically" bipolar too and this annoys me.

Elite Member

I'm sometimes happy. I'm sometimes sad. I'm bipolar. No, it's called being human.

You don't self-diagnose stuff like this. Ill-informed people like him just end up perpetuating myths and misunderstandings surrounding mental illness, when what we need is more understanding and clarity.
    Trixie, Wisher, Kittylady and 2 others like this.

Yeah, it's not unlike someone saying "I'm so depressed", ok, but don't confuse feeling sad or down in the dumps with clinical depression. It just leads people to trivialize it and think "oh snap out of it"
    Kittylady and tulip like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    She signed up for the money. It's not like Johnny Depp has a wonderful personality.

Yeah I believe that And besides she moved quite fast into this relationship after Depp. If Musk ends up being another bad choice then that's on her either that or her picker is off.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Sounds more like narcissism than bipolar...
    Yeah had to believe someone with his resources and money wouldn't have gotten help and get diagnosed. Also sounds life a self diagnosed asshole IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I'm sometimes happy. I'm sometimes sad. I'm bipolar. No, it's called being human.

You don't self-diagnose stuff like this. Ill-informed people like him just end up perpetuating myths and misunderstandings surrounding mental illness, when what we need is more understanding and clarity.
    Truth! There's enough stigma and shame and not near enough help, compassion, resources and acceptance.
    tulip likes this.
    Reset my laptop and my old name Wisher came up when I logged in.
    Eat it, it'll put hairs on your chest
    Well, dye me red and call me blondie

Thread Information