Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Playwright/Actor Sam Shepard Dies

Default Playwright/Actor Sam Shepard Dies

Sam Shepard Dies at 73
    Well shit!
    BroadwayWorld has just learned that playwright, actor, author, screenwriter, and director Sam Shepard has passed away. Shepard, who had been ill with ALS for some time, died peacefully on July 30 at home in Kentucky, surrounded by his children and sisters. He was 73 years old.

Shepard is the author of forty-four plays as well as several books of short stories, essays, and memoirs. Shepard received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1979 for his play Buried Child. He was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of pilot Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff (1983).

Shepard received the PEN/Laura Pels International Foundation for Theater Award as a master American dramatist in 2009. New York described him as "the greatest American playwright of his generation."

His many plays include: Cowboys, The Rock Garden, Chicago, Icarus's Mother, 4-H Club, Red Cross, La Turista, Cowboys #2, Forensic & the Navigators, The Unseen Hand, Oh! Calcutta! (contributed sketches), The Holy Ghostly, Operation Sidewinder, Mad Dog Blues, Back Bog Beast Bait, Cowboy Mouth, The Tooth of Crime, Geography of a Horse Dreamer, Action, Angel City, Suicide in B Flat, Inacoma, Curse of the Starving Class, Buried Child, Tongues, True West, Savage/Love, Fool for Love, A Lie of the Mind, A Short Life of Trouble, Baby Boom, States of Shock, Simpatico, Tooth of Crime, Eyes for Consuela, The Late Henry Moss, The God of Hell, Kicking a Dead Horse, Ages of the Moon, Heartless and A Particle of Dread.

Shepard's plays are chiefly known for their bleak, poetic, often surrealist elements, black humor and rootless characters living on the outskirts of American society. His style has evolved over the years, from the absurdism of his early Off-Off-Broadway work to the realism of Buried Child and Curse of the Starving Class (both 1978).

Shepard began his acting career in earnest when he was cast as the handsome land baron in Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven (1978), opposite Richard Gere and Brooke Adams. This led to other important film roles, including that of Cal, Ellen Burstyn's love interest, in the film "Resurrection" (1980), and most notably his portrayal of Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff (1983). The latter performance earned Shepard an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. By 1986, his play Fool for Love was getting a film adaptation directed by Robert Altman, in which Shepard played the lead role; his play A Lie of the Mind was being performed Off-Broadway with an all-star cast (including Harvey Keitel and Geraldine Page); and Shepard was subsequently working steadily as a film actor - all of these achievements put him on the cover of Newsweek.

Throughout the years, Shepard has done a considerable amount of teaching on writing plays and other aspects of theatre. His classes and seminars have occurred at various theatre workshops, festivals, and universities. Shepard was elected to The American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1986. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1986.
    SHIT!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Never knew he had ALS, they kept that quiet. Is that why Jessica Lange dumped him?

He was always Chuck Yeager to me. RIP. ALS is a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    Never knew he had ALS, they kept that quiet. Is that why Jessica Lange dumped him?
    ALS is pretty fast, I would doubt he had a diagnosis that long ago, wasn't that like 10 years ago when they split?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Default Sam Shepard: US actor and playwright dies aged 73

US actor and playwright Sam Shepard has died at the age of 73, according to US media.

Shepard wrote more than 40 plays and won the Pulitzer Prize for drama for Buried Child in 1979.

He went on to be Oscar-nominated for 1983 film The Right Stuff and starred in films like Black Hawk Down as well as co-writing 1984's Paris, Texas.

He died at home in Kentucky on Thursday, his family told the Associated Press news agency.

His first major film role was in Terrence Malik's Days of Heaven in 1978, in which he starred alongside Richard Gere.

Other films Shepard starred in include Steel Magnolias, The Pelican Brief and The Accidental Husband.

More recently, he was seen in two series of Netflix thriller Bloodline.

Shepard also appears in psychological thriller Never Here, which had its premiere last month.

Sam Shepard: US actor and playwright dies aged 73 - BBC News

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Very sad. RIP.
    Wisher likes this.

No! Not my old man boyfriend!
    It must have been really fast because he seemed fine in everything he was in recently and I saw him at a café in New York not too long ago and he seemed fine then too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Watching Bloodline right now and so enjoyed seeing him on the screen again. Must have taken on a severe turn pretty quickly. RIP, SS.

No way. I hate that. Way too young to go.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post

ALS is pretty fast, I would doubt he had a diagnosis that long ago, wasn't that like 10 years ago when they split?
    I think they say the life expectancy is something like 5-10 years (?) after diagnosis, but I swear it was much shorter than that when my sister was diagnosed to when she passed...
    Brookie and Wisher like this.

OMG. Did not expect this. I feel like this is what I always say, but I guess I repeat it because it's true.

ALS is a fucking bitch.
    Brookie, spiderpig and Wisher like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Damn! This one hurts.
    So he won't be staring a hole in his scrambled eggs anymore.
    R.I.P.!

I had no idea he suffered from ALS, how tragic. RIP Sam. I worked in community theatre for 20 years and I will never forget working on a production of True West. One of my fondest theatre memories.
    Wisher likes this.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

Ohhhh no. Loved him from the first time I saw him in Days of Heaven. And of course The Right Stuff. Thought he was a beautiful man in his prime. (But so much in his later years, I had the impression he was a mean drunk and that's why he and Lange split up. Nothing to back it up really (well, the DUI) just my feeling.)

RIP. *sigh*

Wisher likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post

Yeah, but doesn't Stephen Hawking have it, too. He's been ill with it for decades. As was football coach Charlie Wedemeyer, who had it for 34 years.

I guess there are various types of ALS. A co-worker of mine was diagnosed in 2011 (but symptoms started mid 2010) and died the summer of 2014.

R.I.P. Sam Shepherd. He always seemed such a calm guy.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Chuck Yeager outlives the guy who played him in "The Right Stuff". Go figure.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information