• 1 Post By fgg
  • 3 Post By Waterslide
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 4 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: Rebel Wilson wins defamation case against publisher

fgg

Default Rebel Wilson wins defamation case against publisher

Rebel Wilson wins defamation case against publisher

Rebel Wilson on Thursday won a defamation trial against a magazine publisher that the Australian actress accused of costing her Hollywood roles through articles that claimed she lied about her age, origins of her first name and her upbringing in Sydney.

The Victoria state Supreme Court jury of six women deliberated for two days before delivering its verdict against Bauer Media, publisher of Australian magazines Woman’s Day, Australian Women’s Weekly, NW and OK.

Justice John Dixon will decide later how much money to award the 37-year-old actress, best known for her work in comedies “Pitch Perfect” and “Bridesmaids.”

Outside court, Wilson said she felt the “stain” had been removed from her reputation.

“The reason I’m here is not for damages, it’s to clear my name,” Wilson told reporters. “I was hoping the jury would do the right thing and send a message to these tabloids and they’ve done that so for me, it’s over in my mind.”

Bauer failed to prove the articles published in 2015 were substantially true or that they were unlikely to harm her career.

The jury found Bauer had said Wilson lied about her age, claiming to be six years younger, and had falsely claimed to have been named Rebel at birth.

They also found Bauer had said Wilson lied about having a hallucination about winning an Academy Award while sick with malaria, about her parents being dog trainers, about being related to U.S. entertainment entrepreneur Walt Disney and about being raised in a “ghetto” area of Sydney.

Wilson blamed the articles for her film contracts being terminated.

Rebel Wilson wins defamation case against publisher | Page Six
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I'm glad she won. So she didn't sue for any money?
    “The reason I’m here is not for damages, it’s to clear my name,” Wilson told reporters.
    I don't see a monetary amount mentioned.
    panic likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I'm glad she won. So she didn't sue for any money?

I don't see a monetary amount mentioned.
    'Justice John Dixon will decide later how much money to award the 37-year-old actress, best known for her work in comedies “Pitch Perfect” and “Bridesmaids.”
    sprynkles likes this.

Thanks. I actually read it a couple times and still didn't see that. Duh!
    panic likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

i can't imagine anyone not casting her because of this false story - i mean she has a specific persona and character that she plays and i can't see this voiding her talents and character attempts. i spend way too much time following celeb stuff and don't recall this, but having said that, what they did was wrong and i'm glad she won, too!
    MohandasKGanja and Wisher like this.

I am glad she won, I hate these type of magazines (Woman's Day etc) It's all trash.
    panic, Wisher and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Actress Rebel Wilson will seek $7 million in damages for a series of defamatory magazine articles depicting her as a serial liar, the Melbourne Supreme Court has heard.

Wilson's lawyer, Dr Matthew Collins QC, said the figure was a "particularly conservative one", given she could have made up to $18 million from a number of film roles if the articles had not damaged her career.

"A star like Rebel Wilson who moves to be a multi-million-dollar actress, could reasonably not have expected to have had the hiatus in her career that she's had," he said.

Wilson is seeking $5.89 million in special damages and $1.2 million in general damages.

Dr Collins said the articles had spread instantaneously along the film industry grapevine in the United States and she was branded a phoney and a fake.
    Wilson sued Bauer Media over eight articles that appeared in Woman's Day, Women's Weekly, OK Magazine and New Weekly in 2015.
    The articles said the 37-year-old Australian actress had publicly lied about her age, real name and upbringing, and alleged she had added a "touch of Hollywood" to her backstory.

Wilson won her case after a jury found they had damaged her career by depicting her as a serial liar
    , causing her to miss out on big Hollywood roles.
    Hollywood agent and producer Peter Principato testified via video link as an expert witness.

He said Wilson should have received a minimum two movie offers after her success in the film Pitch Perfect 2, and would have commanded about $6 million for each film.

"Wilson was one of those actresses where every studio was talking about and trying to find projects for [her]," Mr Principato said.

Rebel Wilson seeks $7m in special damages over Bauer Media defamation - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    panic likes this.

Elite Member

Seven million - come on. She may not have lied about her age, name and family background, but the false information about her must have come from her at some point, who else would have spread the lies about her age. And she let her publisher lie for her.
    The articles didn't ruin her career. She's a pudgy comedienne, her Hollywood career was always going to be limited to niche roles.
    Give seven mill to the victim of Dani Mathers, and give Rebel 60 bucks for a new bag.

7 million is a crazy amount. I don't really follow her career but I never thought she would be a big Hollywood Star, and like idunno said she's more suited to niche roles.

fgg

Rebel Wilson wins record damages in defamation suit

A judge awarded Rebel Wilson record damages of 4.56 million Australian dollars ($3.66 million) on Wednesday over magazine articles the actress said cost her roles in Hollywood films.

A Supreme Court jury in Australia’s Victoria state had decided in June the articles claiming she lied about her age, origins of her first name and her upbringing in Sydney were defamatory.

Justice John Dixon said a substantial award amount was required to “vindicate” Wilson after her reputation as an “actress of integrity was wrongly damaged.”

Bauer Media, publisher of the Australian magazines Woman’s Day, Australian Women’s Weekly, NW and OK, said it was considering the judgment.

The 37-year-old Wilson, best known for the comedies “Pitch Perfect” and “Bridesmaids,” was in London on Wednesday and her lawyers were unable to immediately talk to her about the decision.

Wilson said on Twitter that the case “wasn’t about the money.”

“I’m looking forward to helping out some great Australian charities and supporting the Oz film industry with the damages I’ve received,” she tweeted. “Also looking forward to getting back to my career and entertaining everyone!”

Her lawyer Richard Leder said outside court the damages were about four times higher than the previous Australian record for a defamation case.

Her legal team would also apply for Bauer to pay all her legal costs, Leder said.

She had sought more than AU$7 million.

Bauer Media had branded that damage claim “extraordinarily large” and made on the “most tenuous of basis.”

Bauer lawyer Georgina Schoff told the judge that Wilson had failed to prove the articles caused her financial losses.

Bauer failed to prove the articles published in 2015 were substantially true or that they were unlikely to harm her career.

The jury found Bauer had said Wilson lied about her age, claiming to be six years younger, and had falsely claimed to have been named Rebel at birth.

They also found Bauer had said Wilson lied about having a hallucination about winning an Academy Award while sick with malaria, about her parents being dog trainers, about being related to U.S. entertainment entrepreneur Walt Disney and about being raised in a “ghetto” area of Sydney.

Wilson blamed the articles for film contracts being terminated.

Rebel Wilson wins record damages in defamation suit | Page Six
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Dr Collins said the articles had spread instantaneously along the film industry grapevine in the United States and she was branded a phoney and a fake.
    And you know how the Hollywood film industry won't abide phonies and fakes!
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Clearly, this dopey Australian mag did very little basic research. Here are the names of Rebel Wilson's siblings (via Wikipedia): Is it a big stretch that Rebel would get a similarly loopy name???

Overall, I really know very little about this story, but it's pretty fascinating in the sense that it reveals what seem like pretty stark differences between what you can (or will) sue for in Australia vs. the US.

For example, that publisher who owns Enquirer/Star/Globe tabloids in the US put out a big story a few weeks ago basically saying that Hillary Clinton is a serial killer (naming a bunch of people who died at her behest). And that is somehow okay. Maybe because Clinton doesn't feel like it is worth dragging it through court.
    bootspaige and arie_skop like this.

Its amazing that clinton can find the time to be a serial killer, what with running the pedophile ring and all.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I am surprised people still buy or read Woman's Day in Australian, crap magazine. Everyone knows it's all fake.

Thread Information