Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Sarah Hyland Slams Eating Disorder Rumors, Reveals Health Struggles

Default Sarah Hyland Slams Eating Disorder Rumors, Reveals Health Struggles

Sarah Hyland Slams Eating Disorder Rumors, Reveals Health Struggles in a Letter to Fans

Sarah Hyland is speaking out after being accused of being too skinny and having an eating disorder.

The 26-year-old Modern Family and Dirty Dancing actress took to Twitter to release a lengthy letter to fans, in which she revealed that she’s been going through struggles with her health over the past few months.

Sarah says that she has been on bed rest recently and unable to exercise, which has caused a loss of muscle mass.

“I’d like to address something that has not only been brought up on Twitter but has been heavily discussed by all of you in my Instagram comments. That something is my weight,” Sarah started off. “I normally don’t comment on things like this because it draws attention to those trying to spread negativity but I’m here to explain a few things and spread love.”
    “Here goes…I haven’t had the greatest year. Maybe one day I’ll talk about it but for now, I’d like my privacy. I will say this year has brought a lot of changes and with that, physical changes.”

Sarah adds, “I have been told I can’t work out. Which, for me, is very upsetting. I am an activist for activity (and for eating junk food in bed but it’s all about balance right?). I love to be outdoors. I love to be strong. (I’ll be using that word a lot). Strength is everything. Being strong has gotten me where I am. Both mentally and physically.

“I am not a fan of ‘being skinny’ which many of you have told me that I am too much of. ‘Eat a burger, your head is bigger than your body and that’s disgusting’ and you’re right! I should eat a burger! Cause they’re f****** delicious! But guess what. I do, and again, you’re right. No one’s head should be bigger than their body but considering I’ve basically been on bed rest for the past few months, I’ve lost a lot of muscle mass. My circumstances have put me in a place where I’m not in control of what my body looks like.”

“I write this because I’ve been accused of promoting anorexia in, ironically enough, an anti-bullying post. And I want young girls to know that’s not my intention.”
    “[I've been ] working hard to maintain my weight by eating as much protein as possible and continue to be strong and healthy. There’s no need to worry. I’ve been down before and I’ll probably be down again in my lifetime but I’m steadfast and solid and will conquer my obstacles.”

If you don’t know, Sarah revealed years back that she had undergone a kidney transplant from her father after a lifelong battle with kidney dysplasia.
    Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News | Just Jared
    panic likes this.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Gold Member

I know she actually does have health struggles but I'm getting a little sick of anorexic celebrities pushing it back on other people to claim "body shaming" as a way to normalize anorexia or bulimia or other mental illness. Even the Dani Mathews thing has turned into body shaming and that's just a by product of a gross invasion of privacy. If it was some hot chick who had her naked body posted online, does that make what Mathers did ok?

As someone who has had two leg/ankle surgeries, laying around on "bed rest" will make you lose muscle mass but it won't make you stick thin unless you don't eat. Maybe her drug regimen is playing a part though.

I completely understand how it feels and I like the way she handled it. Hope she feels better soon.
    Novice and I'mNotBitter like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

She's been open and honest about her health struggles so I can't find fault with this. Yeah, she's in Hollywood and probably has warped ideas about what is healthy. I appreciate that she's addressing it and confronting people when they probably have no idea what she's been through.

I know when I was on prednisone I got the moon face, but also the insane hunger to go with it. Needless to say I didn't lose weight.
    HWBL likes this.

She could still have (and likely does) an eating disorder. Denial is a big part of anorexia. The moon-face side effect of prednisone combined with the no-exercise order could have triggered her to restrict her food out of fear that she'll gain weight.
    C_is_for_Cookie and DawnM74 like this.

I don't watch the show she is in, so don't know much about her, but this is a pic from May 18th

eva

Didn't she have a kidney transplant some years back?
    Insert witty line here

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    I don't watch the show she is in, so don't know much about her, but this is a pic from May 18th

She looks scary skinny here. Maybe whatever meds she's on have killed her appetite? Or make her nauseated so eating is unappealing? It's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by eva View Post
    Didn't she have a kidney transplant some years back?
    Yes. And IIRC, her dad was her donor.
    DawnM74 likes this.

I just thought she as having health issues again because of the kidneys. I hope she gets well and healthy soon. Poor girl. I feel bad for her.
    gas_chick and Novice like this.

OCD

They don't put people with kidney issues on high protein diets. That's a great way to kill your kidneys. So I don't really buy the story.
    Beeyotch and DawnM74 like this.

She seems less cunty on my hangover.
    Last edited by Heidi Ho 2.0; May 28th, 2017 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    They don't put people with kidney issues on high protein diets. That's a great way to kill your kidneys. So I don't really buy the story.
    Well, she's says she's eating as much protein as possible and continue to be strong and healthy. I guess I took that to mean as much as the doctors would allow. I feel for her, as she's had some tough health issues to deal with.
    Annika likes this.

fgg

Sarah Hyland cries showing kidney transplant, endometriosis surgery scars

Sarah Hyland isn’t just telling people about her health scares, she’s showing them.

After revealing in Self magazine that she underwent a second kidney transplant, the “Modern Family” star, 28, showed off her scars in an emotional accompanying video.

“It kind of looks like a samurai sword attack or a shark bite,” she said of her transplant scars.

Hyland also opened up about her other scars from previous surgeries, including a hernia operation and laparoscopic surgery for her endometriosis. Despite her health trials and tribulations, Hyland said they don’t hold her “back from anything.”

“I won’t let it,” she said.

After tearing up, Hyland made it clear she always tries to maintain a light-hearted attitude about her transplants. She then explained that her second kidney transplant was connected to her old kidney in the front of her body, which causes it to stick out.

“I call it my KUPA—kidney upper p—y area—always have, will forever,” Hyland said.

“For me it’s always hard for KUPA to be on display, still mentally it’s hard to get over that,” she admitted. “For someone being so tiny to have a stomach that looks like the New Jersey Turnpike just shows who I am and what kind of character I have.”

https://pagesix.com/2018/12/11/sarah...surgery-scars/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Damn, girl.

There's actually more to this story. They were playing pieces of an interview with her on HLN this morning. The first kidney donated to her failed. I think it might have been from her dad. Then, she was on dialysis for three days a week. She said she was so depressed she contemplated suicide. She was crying while she was talking about it.

Her brother donated the one she has now, and it sounds like they think this one will last a really long time. She mentioned how one of her medical conditions affected her - I think it was with clothing or something (like something leaking, maybe?). She mentioned that she needed to have a sense of humor about it. She is basically going to have existential health problems for the rest of her life and has been learning to deal with it.

It's very poignant. I think she is adorable - super cute face. Looks awesome in the outfits she wears. Terrific in her role on "Modern Family". I've seen her in a couple of movies and she was great. You would think someone like this was on top of the world if you didn't know better. You just don't know what issues other people are dealing with -- over time, I've tried to approach life this way, but this really highlights it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information