Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By funky_chicken
  • 1 Post By MsDark
  • 1 Post By BITTER
  • 2 Post By Seapharris7

Thread: Cuba Gooding, Sr. passes away at age 72

Default Cuba Gooding, Sr. passes away at age 72

Cuba Gooding Jr's soul singer father is found dead in his car of a suspected overdose at the age of 72

• Cuba Gooding Sr., the father to actor Cuba Gooding Jr., died aged 72
    • He was found dead in his silver Jaguar on Thursday in San Fernando Valley
    • Law enforcement officials told TMZ the singer was slumped over in his car when he was first discovered
    • Paramedics were unable to revive him when they arrived at 1pm
    • While it's not official, law enforcement says that open alcohol containers were found in the car, and they suspect a possible overdose
    • Cuba Gooding Sr was father to actor Cuba Gooding Jr., 49, who won the Oscar for best supporting actor in Jerry Maguire back in 1997
    • He was the lead singer of '70s soul group Main Ingredient in the 1970s and was also a dad to Omar, Tommy and April, who he had with his wife Shirley Gooding

By Dailymail.com Reporter and Regina F. Graham For Dailymail.com
    PUBLISHED: 20:38 EDT, 20 April 2017 | UPDATED: 22:32 EDT, 20 April 2017

81shares
    View comments

Cuba Gooding Sr., the father to actor Cuba Gooding Jr., has passed away aged 72.
    Cuba Sr. was found dead in his car on Thursday in the San Fernando Valley, according to TMZ.
    Law enforcement officials told the site that the singer was slumped over in his silver 2012 Jaguar when he was first discovered.
    Paramedics were dispatched at around 1pm in an attempt to revive him, but they were unable to do so.
    While it's not official, law enforcement officials say that open alcohol containers and drug paraphernalia were found in the car, as they suspect his cause of death to be a possible overdose.
    Photographs from the scene show authorities removing two bottles that appear to be alcohol from the Jaguar.
    Scroll down for video

+6

Sad news: Cuba Gooding Sr., father to actor Cuba Gooding Jr., has passed away at age 72

+6

Fun family: Of course Cuba Gooding Sr was father to actor Cuba Gooding Jr., 49, who won the Oscar for best supporting actor in Jerry Maguire back in 1997

+6

Law enforcement officials told the site that the singer was slumped over in his silver Jaguar (above) when he was first discovered. Paramedics were dispatched at around 1pm in an attempt to revive him, but they were unable to do so

+6

While it's not official, law enforcement officials say that open alcohol containers and drug paraphernalia were found in the car, as they suspect his cause of death to be a possible overdose

+6

Photographs from the scene show authorities removing two bottles (above) that appear to be alcohol from the Jaguar

There were no signs of foul play, according to LAPD officials.
    The investigation into his death has been turned over to the Los Angeles County coroner's office to determine how the soul singer died.
    Authorities have conducted a toxicology test to see if there was any alcohol or drugs in his system.
    The silver Jaguar was first spotted pulling up to the location around 3:30am, and Gooding was last seen alive around 10:30am, officials told KABC.
    Cuba Gooding Sr was father to actor Cuba Gooding Jr., 49, who won the Oscar for best supporting actor in Jerry Maguire back in 1997.
    Additionally, Cuba Sr was also a star in his own right.

+6

Super star: He was the lead singer of soul group Main Ingredient in the 1970s

He joined soul group The Main Ingredient in 1971 after the lead singer Donald McPherson died of leukemia.
    While he was the group, who was signed to RCA, Cuba Sr scored five top 10 hits on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
    One of those songs included their highest-charting effort, Everybody Plays the Fool.
    The song, which was released in 1972, peaked at No. 2 for three weeks and it was also their biggest hit on the all-genre Billboard Hot 100, climbing to No. 3.
    Their other songs, Just Don't Want to Be Lonely, Happiness Is Just Around the Bend and Rolling Down a Mountainside all were top 10 songs on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.
    Cuba Sr left the group in 1977 to pursue a solo career and was signed to Motown where he released two albums.
    But he reunited with his bandmates in 1979 and they worked together through the 1980s.
    In 1983 he recorded a remake of 'Happiness is Just Around the Bend,' which became a dance hit.
    In 1993 he resumed his solo career and did not participate in a reunion with his old band in 1999.

He also scored a hit in 2012 with 'This Christmas.'
    Cuba Sr, who would have been 73 next week, was also a father to Omar, Tommy and April, who he had with his wife Shirley Gooding.
    He married Shirley in 1966 but the pair called off their marriage after eight years. However, they remarried in 1995 over 21 years after they first separated.
    Earlier this year, Gooding Jr spoke about his father during an episode of Inside the Actors Studio.
    'I remember, one of my earliest memories Ö he would perform at Disneyland, and after his performances, they would close it off to the general public and all the performers' kids would go on the rides as many times as they'd want,' Cuba remembered.
    'He would pull me up on stage with him and make me finish the song because I'd seen him perform all the time. It was a lot of feeling like, 'I come from royalty.'

Read more: Cuba Gooding Sr. passes away aged 72 | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

<strong>
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I'm sorry but I think I will have to put Cuba Gooding Jr to the Celeb Death Thread now.
    Waterslide likes this.
    -

That's a damn near full bottle of Henessey and quite a bit of (rum?) in that smaller bottle. If that's any indication, it wasn't alcohol alone.
    Waterslide likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

He had a beautiful voice.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    That's a damn near full bottle of Henessey and quite a bit of (rum?) in that smaller bottle. If that's any indication, it wasn't alcohol alone.
    That's what I was thinking... now I know as an alcoholic, I can put away more than most, but unless that was his second/third bottles, I'd be surprised if it was *only* alcohol. And do they usually refer to alcohol poisoning as an "OD"? Normally I think of pills and/or hard drugs like heroin for an "OD"
    BITTER and pinkbunnyslippers like this.

yeah with the drug paraphernalia, unless it was a bong, sounds like drug overdose even though they stated they found alcohol with no mention of actual drugs. maybe he got super high and passed out in the car dying of heat stroke, would it be hot enough right now where he is to cause that to be possible?

Thread Information