Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Jenna Bush: "People laugh at this, but I think my dad was a feminist"

Default Jenna Bush: "People laugh at this, but I think my dad was a feminist"

When it comes to raising her daughters Poppy, 20 months, and Mila, 4, Jenna Bush Hager says she learned from the best: Her dad, former president George W. Bush and mom Laura Bush.

“I think the thing that my parents did so well and might surprise people, although I don’t know why, is that they really wanted us to be curious, independent thinkers,” the Today correspondent tells PEOPLE. “They wanted to raise us to have our own views and to be able to articulate them.” She says that as kids, she and her twin sister Barbara Pierce Bush “always felt sorry for the boys in her class because our dad led us to believe that we were the smartest, most capable kids out there,” she says.

“People laugh at this, but I think my dad was a feminist. He showed us that we could be whatever we wanted to be. I want my girls to feel that way. I want them to feel strong and capable and feel like they can conquer the world.”
    Though bringing her daughters up in New York City might seem worlds away from the small town of Midland, Texas, where she grew up, she says that her goal as a mother doesn’t differ. “The most important thing is to raise loving humans,” she says.
    “Her teacher said that Mila’s really empathetic and that when somebody in her class feels sad, she feels sad, and when somebody’s happy, she feels happy,” Bush Hager says. “Like I’m going to do right now, I broke into tears because, to me, that’s what’s most important is to raise really kind girls — and I’m so happy my girls are kind.”

[From People]

Cele|bitchy | Jenna Bush: ?People laugh at this, but I think my dad was a feminist?

Compared to the current president? He's a regular Gloria Steinhem.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

The bar is so fucking low that the most talented limbo dancer couldn't fit under it.
    LaFolie, mostroop, idunno and 11 others like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
    Hey, she was right!!
    twitchy2.0, idunno and sputnik like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Between Ermahgerd and Yee-muthafuckin' Haw

How about teaching your girls to be critical thinkers? That's pretty damn important. Kind can be overrated. 😉

Gold Member

Lately, I find myself missing the days when I thought Dubya was about as bad, incompetent and regressive a President as could be possibly elected.

Silver Member

George W. Bush is no feminist. Puh-fucking-lease! This anti-choicer is the complete opposite of a feminist! His administration did everything it could to take away a woman's right to choose!

Not to mention which, Bush was born into wealth and privilege, and handed everything on a silver platter because of his name. He was everything he wanted to be because of it - so naturally, that's the message he passes on to his equally privileged children. It's a lot easier to be whatever you want to be when you have a huge amount of money as a cushion, and it's a lot easier to question things when you are already a member of the power group, than it is when you are poor, brown, and have a non-Christian sounding name.
    mostroop, idunno, Mivvi21 and 7 others like this.

Right now I miss W and whatever bullshit he brought with him.
    Kittylady, tulip and weathered1 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    “Her teacher said that Mila’s really empathetic and that when somebody in her class feels sad, she feels sad, and when somebody’s happy, she feels happy,” Bush Hager says. “Like I’m going to do right now, I broke into tears because, to me, that’s what’s most important is to raise really kind girls — and I’m so happy my girls are kind.”

[From People]

Cele|bitchy | Jenna Bush: ?People laugh at this, but I think my dad was a feminist?
    So, doormats then? I'm so sick of these "wishy washy" words that are used to describe the feminine "ideal" - "nice", "kind", etc.. They don't actually *mean* anything, but they can be pulled out as a stick to beat women with when they aren't behaving as is expected by whoever. To be assertive or goal-oriented or firm in your own self or convictions isn't important to these morons, because it's not "nice" or "kind" and you have to think about other people, lest they be "sad".

Also why does she say her father *was* a feminist? When [according to her] did he start and stop?

Lastly, I'm really sick of rich white people telling us commoners how to do life better. I find it hard to hear them with the silver spoons in their mouths.
    twitchy2.0, Brah, rollo and 1 others like this.

My gawd, her pillow face. She's right up there with Brandi Glanville.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    NO! Stay gone, asshole! We barely survived you the first time!
    sprynkles and Lalasnake like this.

His face
    -

Dubya was such a damned dork wasn't he?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Didn't Jenna become Muslim?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information