Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Kelly Osbourne thinks other celebs fake lyme disease for fame

Default Kelly Osbourne thinks other celebs fake lyme disease for fame

My prescriptions kept piling up. I couldn’t sleep, so they gave me Ambien. When Ambien made me nauseated, they switched me to Trazodone, but that gave me acid reflux, so then I had to take an antacid every day. I took cranberry extract and antibiotics because one medication made me prone to getting urinary tract infections. Painkillers — for an ex–painkiller addict — to help with the head and body aches. Not kidding — I had pills to deal with the anxiety that I was having from taking so many pills.
    When I got yet another prescription that left me barely able to speak, I was reduced to a lump on the couch, and that was my breaking point. I took my bag of pills, and my fiancé [Matthew Mosshart; the two split in 2014] drove me to my mum’s house. I sat them all out, one by one, until they lined up the length of the counter. “I can’t live like this anymore,” I said. “I’m a vegetable.”

As a last resort, she called Philip Battiade at Infusio, an alternative medicine practitioner. I’d first met him when he treated my brother for MS. When I met with Philip, I assured him that I hadn’t used unprescribed drugs in years and that I thought I had Lyme disease. I had started entering my symptoms into online quizzes, and the results kept coming back Lyme disease. For the first time, someone listened to me, and I got tested. The results were positive: I had stage III neurological Lyme disease. I was relieved to finally know what was going on, but I was also scared s–tless.

I got on a plane and flew to Philip’s treatment center in Germany. I started stem cell therapy. Rather than trying to kill off the disease with antibiotics, this treatment worked to strengthen my immune system so my body could fight off and get rid of the disease on its own, which is a much more complete and lasting cure. I stayed for two weeks. I was experiencing emotions and feelings again. I’d been in a diseased and doctor-approved drug-induced haze for so long that I didn’t know what it was like to be happy or sad or in pain.

I’ve kept quiet about my Lyme disease, not only for fear of pharmaceutical companies coming after me because of the cure I found in Germany but also because it seems like the trendy disease to have right now, and I’m tired of seeing sad celebrities play the victim on the cover of weekly mags. Since I know firsthand how awfully debilitating it is, I know who really has it and who is just trying to prolong their 15 minutes. I don’t understand how anyone could think that the life you have to live with Lyme disease is glamorous.

I was a f–ked-up ugly duckling who somehow emerged a lavender swan. I went from being the girl mums told their kids to stay away from to the girl mums follow on social media and stop in the street to ask for advice about their own daughters’ struggles. So after fielding the same question what seemed about 50 million times, I decided to write this book because: THERE IS NO F–KING SECRET!

[From Kelly Osbourne's memoir via US]

Cele|bitchy | Kelly Osbourne thinks other celebs fake lyme disease for fame

I was a f–ked-up ugly duckling who somehow emerged a lavender swan.
    Uh, no

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

Thanks a lot, Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.
    Wisher2 and BITTER like this.

Lyme Disease is real, as is Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome. However, a lot of these celebs claim to have "Chronic Lyme Disease" which is a pseudo-scientific diagnosis not recognized by the CDC and legit doctors. It's basically some of the same basic symptoms of Lyme disease but they supposedly last forever and are treated/cured by quack alternative treatments. "Chronic Lyme Disease" has become a big diagnosis amongst the alterna-medicine quacks. It sounds like what Kelly Osbourne "has", plus what Yolanda Foster and her kids claim to have.

It's common sense, too - actual Lyme disease is caused by tick bites. These are celebrities who live in California, where Lyme carrying ticks are very rare. There's about less than 100 cases of Lyme in California a year. What are the odds that all these wealthy celebrities who live in California are spending time in the deep woods and just happen to get bit one of the very rare ticks in the Pacific region who carry Lyme? Does it look like Kelly Osbourne is an outdoorswoman?

If Kelly wants to call out others for being "fake," she should come up with a better plan than that she discovered she had Lyme disease from an online quiz and some quack alternative medicine "doctor" in Germany diagnosed her.

I believe Avril Lavigne actually had it, because she said her symptoms arrived after she got bit by a tick.
    stella blue, Angeli, holly and 4 others like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

California is one of the most infested states. Lyme disease is spread by not only the deer tick but also, spiders, fleas, mosquitos and other insects. It's very real here in Calif, I have 4 friends that are struggling to get their lives back, one of them was dx with MS last year only to find out it's really Lyme disease. Some do much better with alternative treatment with herbs, natural antibiotics and immune strengthening products while others are on many antibiotics which are juggled back and forth. I've known some people who have died from this and the CDC is very misinformed. It's a crazy disease to treat and the victims receive very little support from Drs, the community and even their families. The purple people eater is a monster and it's very hard to believe anything she says or does. You can be bitten just by walking on a trail along a wooded area or from just being outside in a campground.....its no longer the deep wooded disease, also it can lay dormant for years and a tragedy can make it surface. Its more common than the CDC is aware of.

California is one of the most infested states.
    No, it is not.

Lyme disease is spread by not only the deer tick but also, spiders, fleas, mosquitos and other insects.
    No, it is not. The blacklegged tick (teer dick) is the spreader of Lyme of disease. It cannot be transmitted via flies, spiders, mosquitoes, etc. That is quackery spread by the "chronic Lyme disease" crowd. Lyme disease also doesn't "lay dormant and surfaced by a tragedy." More quackery. Real Lyme disease has a varied incubation period, but no more than a few months, and trust me, you know if when you have it, the symptoms aren't subtle. Lyme disease untreated for a period of years is fatal. Lyme disease also cannot be treated with herbs and "alternative treatments," no matter what your friends and Kelly Osbourne says.

Lyme disease is actually easily treatable with real medicine. Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome (such as continuing joint pain, or neurological effects) is also very real, however it is rare. It's so rare that the New England Journal of Medicine reported a year or so back that a group of researchers had to call off a study of PTLDS because they couldn't find enough patients.

Again, Lyme disease = real. "Chronic Lyme Disease" = the latest big fake illness pushed by alterna-quacks. Kelly Osbourne, the Hadids, Ally Hilfiger, etc. all claim to have "Chronic Lyme Disease" they first diagnosed themselves by looking up their vague symptoms on the Internet and then "confirmed" by "alternative medicine" doctors who practice primarily in Europe. They also all claim they were "cured" by expensive "alternative treatments." (Funny sidenote: one of the hallmarks of Lyme disease is rashes, usually the famous Lyme "bullseye rash," but note the "Chronic Lyme Disease" celebs never list rashes or any skin problems in their symptoms.)

ts more common than the CDC is aware of.

Ah yes, the old CDC/doctors/science are lying and in on a conspiracy! excuse.
    idunno, sparkles, Lalique and 3 others like this.

While most transmissions come from ticks, it is possible to contract Lyme from other blood-sucking insects, but it's rare (1% or so). Other modes of transmissions are blood transfusions, and even fluid exchange during intercourse. But yes, most got infected by ticks.
    Re: Chronic Lyme Disease - I never heard that this is supposed to be a fake illness, as I know two people that have it, and one of them couldn't work because of it for over three months. And it wasn't diagnosed by a alternative doctor either. But maybe the term here is different than in the US?
    Witchywoman likes this.
    -

Elite Member

There's a lot of interesting medical literature on Chronic Lyme Disease both pro and con. It's considered a psudeomedical diagnosis.

Per the CDC:

known. Most medical experts believe that the lingering symptoms are the result of residual damage to tissues and the immune system that occurred during the infection. Similar complications and “auto–immune” responses are known to occur following other infections, including Campylobacter (Guillain-Barre syndrome), Chlamydia (Reiter’s syndrome), and Strep throat (rheumatic heart disease). In contrast, some health care providers tell patients that these symptoms reflect persistent infection with Borrelia burgdorferi. Recent animal studies have given rise to questions that require further research. Clinical studies are ongoing to determine the cause of PTLDS in humans.

This is an interesting (and scary) long article on a Harvard Medical School doctor discussing lyme. Including claims that Kris Kristofferson was cured of dementia which was really lyme. Makes me not want to leave the house this spring. Are they working towards a vaccine? My dogs are both vaccinated for lyme, but there isn't one for humans.

Visiting physician sheds new light on Lyme disease - Martha's Vineyard Times
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Charmed Hour, the quote from the CDC you posted is regards to PTLDS (Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome). That is continuing complications from Lyme Disease. It is NOT the same thing as the du jour diagnosis "Chronic Lyme Disease." "Chronic Lyme Disease" is an alternative medicine/New Age term that basically stole the name of Lyme Disease, a real illness. The CDC, NIH, ADA etc. all do not recognize "Chronic Lyme Disease."

Actual Lyme disease is fatal if untreated and the symptoms are no joke and don't "go away." But once treated (with antibiotics, the only cure) the overwhelming majority will totally recover. Only a tiny portion suffer PTLDS, aka long-lasting or permanent symptoms, but that is real. These celebs who claim they had vague symptoms for years, or on and off "recurring" Lyme are full of shit. Kelly O claiming that she never took antibiotics for her "Lyme" and instead got cured at a German alternative medicine clinic is a huge red flag.

It's very easy to get a false positive for Lyme using a Western blot test, which is why a lot of those quacks use it to diagnose "chronic Lyme." A real doctor will only diagnose Lyme disease with both an ELISA test and a Western blot.

My son had it. Got the bulls eye rash and everything. We immediately took him to the dr and test came back that he had it and they treated him with antibiotics. And recently, a friend told me that he needs to go back and retested! I had no idea that you need to go back and get retested. The dr never said anything about it after his follow up.

I don't care what's wrong with her. I just want her to shut the fuck up!! She bothers me. She's talking about other celebs faking their illnesses and yet she's on the cover of a magazine sharing her story of being an addict in Hollywood. What a total fucking cliche.

Quote Originally Posted by Briar Rose View Post
    Thanks a lot, Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.
    If I were a religious man, I'd make them pay penance for the rest of their natural days from bringing this ugly twat into the world.

I think I will anyway.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I don't care what's wrong with her. I just want her to shut the fuck up!! She bothers me. She's talking about other celebs faking their illnesses and yet she's on the cover of a magazine sharing her story of being an addict in Hollywood. What a total fucking cliche.
    For the umpteenth time too. It's all she ever talks about.
    pinkbunnyslippers likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

"Other" celebs fake lyme disease for "fame" (wait, they're "celebs", so wouldn't that imply the fame is already there?). But she's not faking it! No sir! She's never been an attention whore or desperate to be relevant!

I think the irony of her comments are lost on her.

I’ve kept quiet about my Lyme disease, not only for fear of pharmaceutical companies coming after me because of the cure I found in Germany but also because it seems like the trendy disease to have right now, and I’m tired of seeing sad celebrities play the victim on the cover of weekly mags. Since I know firsthand how awfully debilitating it is, I know who really has it and who is just trying to prolong their 15 minutes. I don’t understand how anyone could think that the life you have to live with Lyme disease is glamorous.
    sprynkles likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information