Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Jane Fonda Reveals She Was Raped and Sexually Abused as a Child

Default Jane Fonda Reveals She Was Raped and Sexually Abused as a Child

'I've been raped': Jane Fonda, 79, reveals for the first time that she was a victim of sexual abuse as a child in a frank new interview

Jane Fonda has revealed she was raped in a candid new interview.
    The 79-year-old actress and activist also said she had been sexually abused as a child while speaking to Brie Larson for The EDIT magazine.
    She says: 'To show you the extent to which a patriarchy takes a toll on females; I've been raped, I've been sexually abused as a child and I've been fired because I wouldn't sleep with my boss and I always thought it was my fault; that I didn't do or say the right thing.'

The mother-of-three says she even knows girls who are unaware they've been sexual assault victims.
    'I know young girls who've been raped and didn't even know it was rape,' she adds. 'They think, "It must have been because I said 'no' the wrong way."
    'One of the great things the women's movement has done is to make us realise that [rape and abuse is] not our fault. We were violated and it's not right.'
    The two stars explore feminism, activism and parenting regrets in the candid chat to commemorate International Women's Day next Wednesday.

Brie - who won the Best Actress Oscar for her role in The Room last year, also gives her take on modern Hollywood.
    'I've learned the only power I have in my career is the word no,' she declares. 'I couldn't choose the jobs I got, but I could say no to jobs that weren't right for me.'
    Jane responds that in contrast, it took her '60 years to learn to say no'.
    ''If anyone offered me anything I would say yes,' she admits. 'I took parts I wasn't right for and I was taken advantage of.
    'I didn't know how to stand up for myself. Now, I would say, 'No. This is a piece of s***. I don't like the way you're treating me,' and leave. If only I had known then what I do now.'

With Hollywood having become increasingly preoccupied with image, both women express their bemusement at being judged by their appearance alone.
    Brie says women are eager to escape the 'cycle of abuse where our mental weight is based on our body weight.'
    'I salute you for saying that,' says Jane. 'If someone had asked me back when I started, "What are you wearing?" I'd have thought they were crazy. Julie Christie made her own goddam dress when she won an Oscar for Darling.
    'I grew up in the '50s and it took me a long time to apply feminism to my life,' she adds. 'The men in my life were wonderful, but victims of a [patriarchal] belief system. I felt diminished.

'Eventually I decided I wasn't going to give up who I was in order to please the man I was with,' she added. ' I became an embodied feminist when I was single and saw Eve Ensler perform The Vagina Monologues. While I was laughing, my feminism carried from my head into my DNA. It took a long time, though, because I was brought up with the disease to please.'
    With a long and illustrious Hollywood career under her belt, the double Oscar winner almost became as famous for her political activism in later life, becoming famous for her fervent anti-war protests back in the 1970s.
    'I didn't become an activist until I was 31,' she said. 'When I found out what was really happening in Vietnam I didn't care if I ever worked again; I considered leaving the business to become a full-time activist.
    'My father was terrified for me. He remembered the '50s when people's careers were destroyed.'
    Nowadays Jane says she's pleased that activism transcends all walks of life, with women not only taking part but leading protests.
    'In the '60s and '70s, protests were mostly led by men and there was a macho edge to it. Activism didn't feel as loving as it does now it's women-led.
    'I think that's what's made the difference. I mean, you saw the incredible signs [at the recent Women's March] – whether it was for reproductive rights, or health or the disabled, or LGBTQ, they're all issues that make up democracy.'

The old days: Jane as pictured with her famous father - actor Henry Fonda as a child
    Jane has never shied away from speaking candidly about her family - in September 2014, she revealed her mother had been sexually abused and eventually committed suicide.
    Jane made the personal revelation as she hosted an event celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Rape Treatment Center, which provides comprehensive free treatment for sexual assault victims.
    The star said she discovered while writing her memoirs that her mother had been sexually abused as a girl.

Jane said she reviewed her mother's medical records and discovered she had been sexually abused when she was 8 years old. Frances Ford Seymour committed suicide when Fonda was 12.
    'The minute that I read that, everything fell into place,' she said from a small stage set up in Burkle's sprawling backyard. 'I knew why the promiscuity, the endless plastic surgery, the guilt, the inability to love or be intimate, and I was able to forgive her and forgive myself.'
    Jane explained that learning this helped her understand some of her mother's behavior before her ultimate suicide when Fonda was 12.
    She said sexual violence is ‘epidemic’ vowing, ‘I will support the Rape Treatment Center for the rest of my life.’

Flashback: Henry and Frances pictured during filming of Wings Of The Morning at Denham in 1936 - Frances later committed suicide when her daughter Jane was only 12 years old

Read more: Jane Fonda reveals she's been raped in new interview | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

'I knew why the promiscuity, the endless plastic surgery, the guilt, the inability to love or be intimate, and I was able to forgive her and forgive myself.'
    ^Is she saying that about her mom, or about herself?
    I find it sad that at nearly 80, Fonda still seems to be competing in the looks department with women decades younger than she is. Being old doesn't mean you should turn into a garden gnome, but that you should be comfortable with yourself and more relaxed and to not feel the need you should look as good as you did in your prime.
    Bluebonnet, arie_skop and rollo like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

She seems quite comfortable with herself to me. And she looks freaking great.
    gas_chick, panic, Brah and 12 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Poor Jane. Even wealth and privilege can't protect you the way you think it should. But she's come a long way.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I love her and I think she looks great. I'd kill to look like her as I age. Sure she has had work done but it is damn good work and she hasn't overdone herself. Love these pics.
    C_is_for_Cookie and panic like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    She seems quite comfortable with herself to me. And she looks freaking great.
    Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I love her and I think she looks great. I'd kill to look like her as I age. Sure she has had work done but it is damn good work and she hasn't overdone herself. Love these pics.
    Thirding this. Whatever she's had done is so good you can't even tell she's had it done, she looks fantastic. Stylish & classy.

I agree. Most women her age who've had extensive PS look like caricatures. Jane still totally looks like Jane.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^^
    this.
    you look at her and you know she's had some help, but she's done it tastefully and in moderation and in such a way that she doesn't look 'done'. some of the best ps i've seen.

and i disagree that she's competing with women younger than her. she's got a fantastic body for her age but you don't see her with hair down to her waist or wearing leggings and uggs or minis and crop tops, she wears amazing clothes that show off her figure but are also age appropriate.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 2nd, 2017 at 01:35 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    she wears amazing clothes that show off her figure but are also age appropriate.
    absolutely!
    ana-mish-ana and gas_chick like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    absolutely!
    Grace and Frankie is perfect for her.

She looks great, shows off her comedic talents, and isn't afraid to be shown removing her hairpieces and stripping her makeup (and still looking great - I hate her!!!)
    Beeyotch likes this.

^^ Yes! I really enjoy her and Lily, they're good together.

"Julie Christie made her own goddam dress when she won an Oscar for Darling".

I've always been smitten by Julie Christie.

I think this is the dress,

I'mNotBitter likes this.

I think.... by showing herself off, caring about looks and clothes, whatnot is empowering women of any age, and most importantly her age to not give up just because......whatever reason that would make a woman give up on life.

She's reaching out and grabbing it by the horns. She's saying if she can do it, so can we.

On another note, I recall my dad, in his 70's once said, that even at his age, his friends... and he are still learning. Still discovering and growing as people. it's never too late. The idea that you know it all once you've reached a certain age is untrue. A myth.

i love the confidence and power she exudes in these pics, like she's just ready to take a bite out of life.
    Nevan likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I think it's funny we're talking about her looks when she says it's a burden for women to always be judged by their looks. She's gorgeous, but so intelligent and strong and I admire her so fucking much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information