Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Scarlett Johansson Says She's "Barely Holding It Together" As A Working Mom

Default Scarlett Johansson Says She's "Barely Holding It Together" As A Working Mom

Scarlett Johansson Says She’s “Barely Holding It Together” As A Working Mom

February 9, 2017 / Posted by: Allison

19 Reactions

Scarlett Johansson became a mom a little over two years ago, and she just recently became a single mom. She’s also a full-time famous person, an actress and the co-owner of a gourmet popcorn shop. ScarJo is busy! She’s also really rich, and you’d think that she could pay someone to worry for her, but science hasn’t figured that out yet. Scarlett Johansson still has to lay in bed every night stressing about her life as she waits for the melatonin to kick in.

Scarlett explained to Entertainment Tonight at last night’s amfAR New York Gala something we already know about being a working mom. It’s a “challenge.

“I don’t profess to know anything about parenting, anything more than anybody else. Being a working mom is an incredible challenge, it’s an incredible gift. I think you always feel a little bit of guilt..if you’re at work, you feel like you’re missing out on those special moments with your kid. If you’re with your kid, you feel like you’re not giving enough to your job. It’s a balance. I have a lot of huge admiration for working moms. I’m barely, barely holding it together.”

What do you think?

Fellow struggling single mom Gwyneth Paltrow just had one of her assistants send an organic empathy casserole over to Scarlett’s house.

When I think of “barely holding it together“, I think of someone frantically sniffing the pits of every shirt in their laundry basket in an attempt to locate the one that smells the least like vinegar onions while their kid shoves Cocoa Puffs up their nose. Actually, maybe that’s where Scarlett is at? That could explain her look from last night. What doesn’t show stains? Black. What can you chase a kid around in? Pants. Hair a little dirty? Just shave the greasiest side and flop the rest over to the other side.

Pics: Wenn.com
    Tags: Scarlett Johansson

Dlisted | Scarlett Johansson Says She?s ?Barely Holding It Together? As A Working Mom

I saw this quote earlier today and I was just kind of wondering if I'm the only person who can't figure out what the big deal is here? She covered all her bases, she didn't try to be condescending, or hand out unsolicited advice on parenting, or pretending that she's not totally rich. She's just saying that you have to strike a balance when you are a mom and you work. Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you have to stop working, or that it doesn't take a toll on you or that you feel conflicted about working. This is not like when Gwyneth said it was so hard when she was making movies all the time, but really wasn't making movies all the time and for all practical purposes didn't have a real job. It's just getting to the point that as a female who acts and is rich and successful, you better a plaster a smile on your fucking face and say it's so EASY to be a single mom...oh wait, then she'd get shit for that. /rant

No, I have a couple of other things to rant about. How is this any different than being middle middle class to upper middle class and having a career and pawning your kids off on grandma or daycare to take care of them? I know wealthy women (maybe not Scarlett rich, but still rich) who could easily quit their jobs, but their career is important to them. Now I'm done. I promise.
    tulip, Trixie, Wisher2 and 1 others like this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

No matter your income level, being a working mom is stressful. Having money may make it easier to pay for excellent care for your child or even (if you're lucky), to give you a little more flexibility in terms of scheduling, but you still have the mom guilt. SAHMs have guilt too. Guilt seems to be the one thing that all the moms I know, regardless of our income levels, have in common and we should support each other.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

czb

ITA

i don't see how scarlett said anything wrong. her hair however, is another story ....

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    No matter your income level, being a working mom is stressful. Having money may make it easier to pay for excellent care for your child or even (if you're lucky), to give you a little more flexibility in terms of scheduling, but you still have the mom guilt. SAHMs have guilt too. Guilt seems to be the one thing that all the moms I know, regardless of our income levels, have in common and we should support each other.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

No, you don't understand, when you're rich and beautiful you're not supposed to be sad or stressed about life changes like divorce. You're just supposed to shit rainbows.
    sputnik, Bluebonnet and Waterslide like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Elite Member

I dislike SJ, but I'm on her side on this one.

Elite Member

What she said was terrific because she really focussed on the thing that all moms feel...guilt. She didn't come off as pretentious or all "poor me and all my paid help." It's one of the first times I can recall not rolling my eyes at a celeb talking about being a mom, especially the more difficult aspects.

I'm sorry. I don't buy her guilt but maybe she is stressed over other things. And being hugely wealthy and not having to work makes an enormous difference. She can take a vacation whenever she feels like it and bring a team of staff with her. Plus she only has ONE kid!
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

What are stay at home moms guilty about?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    I dislike SJ, but I'm on her side on this one.
    Me too.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Scarlett is not my favorite person either, but I feel like she knew this question was going to come and she knew what to say ahead of time so she could be genuine, but at the same time not starting a shitstorm and alienating single moms, but of course everything everyone says has to be picked apart. I didn't even detect a trace of the judgmental "I wouldn't dream of letting my daughter eat cheez whiz or cup o' soup" or "my toddler only reads Proust" crap.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I'm sorry. I don't buy her guilt but maybe she is stressed over other things. And being hugely wealthy and not having to work makes an enormous difference. She can take a vacation whenever she feels like it and bring a team of staff with her. Plus she only has ONE kid!
    I would absolutely say that about someone like Gwyneth and a lot of other irritating people even less successful, but Scarlett works pretty steadily, and films on location and probably puts in pretty long days. Even she can't put a $100 million movie on hold because she wants to take a vacation. I'm not saying being wealthy doesn't help tremendously, but what riled me up so much yesterday was that she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't -- how can a working actress possibly answer that question without people judging her?
    mostroop, Wisher2, czb and 1 others like this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    When I was a SAHM I felt guilty because my husband was out working and I wasn't contributing financially to our household. Plus he would work all day and then when he would come home I would sometimes need a break from our twins and then I'd feel bad because he worked all day and then had to care for the babies too while I didn't work and somehow still needed a break (so I felt "lazy"). I also started to worry that by staying home I might be perpetuating stereotypes about what women "should" be doing especially since I have a doctorate degree and worked a lot before I had them. I've talked about this with my other SAHM mom friends and found that many of us have experienced these feelings.

Then when I went back to work the guilt changed and (for me), got much worse. It's never gone away and in fact, since they started school, it has compounded.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

When I was a SAHM I felt guilty because my husband was out working and I wasn't contributing financially to our household. Plus he would work all day and then when he would come home I would sometimes need a break from our twins and then I'd feel bad because he worked all day and then had to care for the babies too while I didn't work and somehow still needed a break (so I felt "lazy"). I also started to worry that by staying home I might be perpetuating stereotypes about what women "should" be doing especially since I have a doctorate degree and worked a lot before I had them. I've talked about this with my other SAHM mom friends and found that many of us have experienced these feelings.

Then when I went back to work the guilt changed and (for me), got much worse. It's never gone away and in fact, since they started school, it has compounded.
    Ah ok. I understand. I feel like that. I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband works.
    mostroop, sputnik and Wisher2 like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Well yes & no. If she wants to keep a good career in Hollywood, where most women have much more limited opportunities then men (and their roles shrink even faster as they age), then she may not feel that she can take off whenever she wants.
    While she's not just starting out, and needing to take just about any part that comes her way, she does need to accept parts so she can stay in the public eye (in a good way), and remain relevant.
    Filming a movie often requires being on the set for many hours, then if she has to leave to film on location, that's a whole different ball of wax.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    A lot of things. Society claims you have nothing else to do all day but watch soaps, and you need to contribute to society, not just be a drain/strain on your husband. You need to set an example, your daughters need to know that they can be so much more than 'just' a housewife and/or mother. Your sons need to see how a woman can contribute to society, they are more powerful than homemakers.
    Also, why would you stay at home & waste your education?
    We can't really be fulfilled by just staying at home.
    There are many more. Woman really can't win here. If we work, we should be spending more time at home with the children. If we stay at home, we're lazy - wasting our time - wasting resources, you know the family could afford so much more if only the wife/mother would work - we have no drive - poor example to our sons/daughters.
    The list really goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Scarlett is not my favorite person either, but I feel like she knew this question was going to come and she knew what to say ahead of time so she could be genuine, but at the same time not starting a shitstorm and alienating single moms, but of course everything everyone says has to be picked apart. I didn't even detect a trace of the judgmental "I wouldn't dream of letting my daughter eat cheez whiz or cup o' soup" or "my toddler only reads Proust" crap.

I would absolutely say that about someone like Gwyneth and a lot of other irritating people even less successful, but Scarlett works pretty steadily, and films on location and probably puts in pretty long days. Even she can't put a $100 million movie on hold because she wants to take a vacation. I'm not saying being wealthy doesn't help tremendously, but what riled me up so much yesterday was that she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't -- how can a working actress possibly answer that question without people judging her?
    Thank you! ^
    I really didn't find any issues with what she said.

Barely holding it together? WTF??

I'm wondering if she's being one of those celeb moms who are stupidly trying to do everything themselves while being a actress and being famous (and everything that entails). Or maybe being dramatic.

Scarlett: (And any other barely holding it together and/or overwhelmed mom out there) Get a good For-Women Dr. Get a good therapist or support group. Meds! Oh, and a goddamned nanny!! (But not one younger and hotter than you).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information