Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree524Likes

Thread: Mackenzie Phillips: My family shunned me over incest reveal

Default Mackenzie Phillips: My family shunned me over incest reveal

Mackenzie Phillips: My family shunned me over incest reveal

Though it’s been nearly a decade since Mackenzie Phillips opened up about her once incestuous relationship with her father, the fallout from her family continues.

The “One Day at a Time” actress penned in her new book, “Hopeful Healing: Essays on Managing Recovery and Surviving Addiction,” that she has been disinvited from familial gatherings, including birthday parties, following the bombshell revelation.

“Another family member was angered that I might attend, and I was told she was just not willing to forgive me yet. She wouldn’t forgive me! For abuses perpetrated against me as a child, or for exposing those abuses perhaps,” she wrote via People.

Mackenzie Phillips and father John Phillips in November 1981WireImage

In her first book, “High on Arrival,” which was published in 2009, Mackenzie, 57, detailed how she was raped at 19 by her father John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas while both were under the influence of substances. They later began a nearly 10-year relationship.

While some members of the family have questioned the validity of her claims, Mackenzie has found support elsewhere.

“I’ve come to understand that some in my family have chosen to hold on to the pain and anger they felt when I came out with the truth about my dad. I understand that they’re still caught in a textbook response of devaluing the victim and holding up the perpetrator,” she shared.

Mackenzie continues to move forward with her life. A former drug addict, she is now a drug counselor at the Breathe Life Healing Center in Los Angeles.

“I’ve also had to accept that, of course, I’d be the target of negative reactions and feelings because I’m the one who wrote the book and told a truth no one wanted to hear. If you’re trying to maintain some sort of façade so you can avoid pain, the last thing you want is for the façade to be demolished.”

Mackenzie’s father died in March 2001 at the age of 65.

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/08/mackenzie-phillips-my-family-shunned-me-over-incest-revel/?_ga=1.72041939.1107198086.1478543752
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

And then people are still wondering why victims don't come forward.
    -

It was pretty hard hearing her talk about sleeping with her dad as a young adult. I can only imagine what the family thought after hearing it. What a mess.
    Wisher2, ConstanceSpry and panic like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Gold Member

It's one thing to be the victim of incest (although she was hardly a child at age 19). But to then go on and voluntarily have a 10-YEAR sexual relationship with your father is unfathomable. I don't see how you can continue to portray yourself as a victim after that.

But to then go on and voluntarily have a 10-YEAR sexual relationship with your father is unfathomable. I don't see how you can continue to portray yourself as a victim after that.

Because it wasn't voluntary. She grew up being plied with drugs by her father who also eroded any reasonable sense of boundaries. I read her book and with the exception of Paul McCartney, Denny Doherty and a few decent others (who never stuck around John Phillips for long), none of the other rock stars and people around treated her like a actual child. Then when she tried to finally break free of the toxic, co-dependent relationship with her dad when she was 19, he drugged her and raped her. She was horrified and blamed herself for the incident but he kept pushing it on her that it was "normal." He continued to ply her with drugs and rape her. She had no one to turn to and slid deeper into drug addiction, especially because John was her dealer would pressure her into sex in exchange for drugs. She eventually told herself it was "consensual" as a way to both pretend she had control. Later after therapy she acknowledged that it was a stupid word to use because in that situation, it can never be consensual.

It's a horrible situation and I'll never forgive Michelle Phillips for being an utter cuntbucket about the whole thing. You know she's the one behind freezing Mackenzie out.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post

It's a horrible situation and I'll never forgive Michelle Phillips for being an utter cuntbucket about the whole thing. You know she's the one behind freezing Mackenzie out. [/COLOR]
    Of course she was! Michelle was the one who broke up John's marriage to Mackenzie's mom. So Michelle probably resented Mackenzie to being with. I read the book California Dreamin' written by Michelle and she talked about how she would follow John and look in his windows when he was still married to wife #1.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Bronze Member

I remember her being interviewed on Oprah, who had likely heard of everything over her 25 year show. She was shocked and so was the audience. I believe her, who would make something like this up and go public with it. She has balls and strong will to come out of this and try and maintain her sobriety. Like it or not, incest happens, almost no one publicly talks about it. She us vert brave to do so and perhaps may help others in similar situations.

I can't listen to anything from the Mamas and Papas ever since hearing this.
    I'm Wisher, new & improved version.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisher2 View Post
    I remember her being interviewed on Oprah, who had likely heard of everything over her 25 year show. She was shocked and so was the audience. I believe her, who would make something like this up and go public with it. She has balls and strong will to come out of this and try and maintain her sobriety. Like it or not, incest happens, almost no one publicly talks about it. She us vert brave to do so and perhaps may help others in similar situations.

I can't listen to anything from the Mamas and Papas ever since hearing this.
    Me either.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Sounds like her father groomed her to his liking, even at 19, she did not stand a chance against him and his system of abuse.
    Janus, Trixie, mostroop and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    Sounds like her father groomed her to his liking, even at 19, she did not stand a chance against him and his system of abuse.
    He absolutely groomed her for years.
    Wisher2, panic, Lalasnake and 3 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Shortly before Mack's revelations, there was a fawning profile of Michelle in Vanity Fair. It was all about how she was the queen of California rock and the guardian of the Mamas and the Papas' image and the bearer of John's torch. When Mackenzie told her secrets, I knew Michelle would flip her shit. She'd been counting on a comeback in the public eye and no doubt making a bunch of money on Mamas and Papas reissues and reviving the band's image. The incest revelations totally ruined that and Michelle's ambitions to be a Priscilla Presley figure.

The irony is that if Michelle supported Mackenzie and was horrified, no one would think she was involved. But her denials and attacks on Mackenzie in favor of John had led people to think Michelle knew something was up at the time and didn't do anything about it.

What's sad is that Denny and Cass were good people and they're forever chained to the two pieces of shit, Michelle and John. I also feel sorry for Chyna, who caught shit from her mother for standing by her sister.
    Last edited by NoNoRehab; February 8th, 2017 at 04:59 PM.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

McKenzie follows me on Twitter. She is a major dog lover and follows just about anyone who is too. <3

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

On a global scale, fathers grooming/raping daughters is more common than one would think.
    I guarantee it
    It's shyt like this is why I will always stand by and support women's rights

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    Exactly. She herself called the sex "consensual" but by that I think she meant she did not resist. Later I think she realized that no child can truly consent to sex with a parent. But long before the sex, she was hanging out with her dad, partying and doing drugs with him as a teen, having sex with his friends. (ahem...Mick Jagger) The parent/child roles were already blurred, and he treated her more like a peer/companion than a daughter. Her mother (John's first wife) was an alcoholic so who knows where she was during that time. Not taking care of her daughter, that's for sure.

Mackenzie says that the first time they had sex, she woke up from a blackout while it was happening. It was the night before she was getting married. I don't think that's a coincidence. He wasn't going to give her up to another man. Yep, that's about as fucked up as it gets.

Re Michelle Phillips, it was all about her and the legacy of Mamas & Papas. His 3rd wife, Genevieve Waite also denies it happened. Well, she was married to him at the time of the incest so and (like Michelle) who wants to admit they were married to that? She was a junkie too, right along with John.

I think Chynna Phillips is the only one who acknowledged that Mackenzie told her years ago and she believed her (?) Bijou Phillips, the other half-sister said she told her too, but she doesn't believe it. She's a Co$, now married to Danny Masterson. So she believes a fake religion, but not her sister. Go figure.

I believe Mackenzie.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
    It's one thing to be the victim of incest (although she was hardly a child at age 19). But to then go on and voluntarily have a 10-YEAR sexual relationship with your father is unfathomable. I don't see how you can continue to portray yourself as a victim after that.
    Unlike.

How about because a parent exerts an extraordinary amount of power over a child, no matter what age so it is never a relationship between equals. Or because children want love and approval from their parents, no matter how sick and twisted, and can be raised into believing that a parent's love is conditional because it IS conditional. Oh yes and because he was her FATHER and she was barely an adult (and a very troubled one at that) when the incest started. Some people view their children as extensions of themselves and therefore their own property to do with as they please. I don't believe she was capable of saying no even if her father didn't rape. THAT'S why it went on for 10 years.

I have a friend who is freaking 33 years old and she still desperately wants/needs her mother's approval. If she disapproves of a decision my friend makes, the mother gives her the silent treatment for months until my friend caves and begs forgiveness for daring to make her own decision.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information