• 1 Post By Lofty Bike
  • 2 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 1 Post By VeraGemini
  • 3 Post By sprynkles
  • 1 Post By HWBL
  • 1 Post By HWBL
  • 1 Post By Lofty Bike
  • 1 Post By piperdiva

Thread: Actor Richard Hatch, 71: Captain Apollo in 'Battlestar Galactica', has died.

Default Actor Richard Hatch, 71: Captain Apollo in 'Battlestar Galactica', has died.

Richard Hatch, who was best known for his role as Captain Apollo in “Battlestar Galactica,” died Tuesday.

He was 71.
    The actor had been in hospice care after a battle with pancreatic cancer, according to TMZ.
    Hatch got his start with the Los Angeles Repertory Theater as well as shows in Chicago and off Broadway before moving to the silver screen, where he debuted in 1971 on “All My Children.”
    His first major role came in “The Streets of San Francisco” as Inspector Dan Robbins in 1976, the final season of the detective show.
    But his most famous part was Captain Apollo in the 1978 “Battlestar Galactica” TV show, a role for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Over the years, Hatch also made guest appearances on shows including “The Waltons,” “Hawaii Five-O” and “Baywatch.”
    He also spent much of his later career attempting to revive “Battlestar Galactica,” including novels based on the series.

Hatch even went as far as to write, co-direct and produce a trailer for a spinoff called “The Second Coming,” but Universal Studios rejected his pitch.
    Instead, the studio ordered a remake from Ronald D. Moore in which Hatch played Tom Zarek, a terrorist-turned-politician, for 22 episodes over the show’s four-season run.

“Richard Hatch was a good man, a gracious man, and a consummate professional,” Moore tweeted after the news broke. “His passing is a heavy blow to the entire BSG family.”
    “Richard Hatch, you made our universe a better place,” wrote Edward James Olmos, who starred in the reboot. “We love you for it. Rest In Peace my friend. So Say We All.”

“I share tragic news with a heavy heart,” wrote composer Bear McCreary, who broke the news. “Richard Hatch is no longer with us. Goodbye Tom Zarek / Apollo.”
    "Rest with the galactic stars, Richard Hatch," tweeted George Takei.
    -----
    I forgot how cute he was RIP.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Damn, pancreatic cancer is the worst. I really liked him in the Battlestar Galactica reboot, and I liked his attitude regarding it.
    RIP!
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    It would be ridiculous for anyone not to hire him because of an obvious joke – but perfectly reasonable not to hire him because he’s James Woods.”

OMG, I thought he was so goodlooking in BSG, with his gorgeous green eyes! And he also was great in Deadman's Curve, as Jan of surfduo Jan&Dean. Much too young, R.I.P.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

My brother and I loved Battlestar Galactica so much. I cried when Jane Seymour's character died.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Good lord, he was hot! I remember he played Jan Berry in some movie in the 1970's about Jan and Dean.

*goes to IMDB*

ETA: The movie was "Deadman's Curve". I want to watch it again now.

Here's the last 7 minutes of it. The real Jan Berry is in the audience.

Last edited by Bluebonnet; February 8th, 2017 at 03:34 PM.
    HWBL and BITTER like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Starbuck was my favorite but he was a close second. Loved that show as a kid.

I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Frak cancer. RIP Apollo.

(I might have actually had that page from Teen Beat on my preteen bedroom wall.)
    Bluebonnet likes this.

My goodness was he pretty. It's hard to believe that these actors are in their 70's. Where on earth has time gone.
    ConstanceSpry, HWBL and Bluebonnet like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

^Like their little diaper outfits near the end.
    gas_chick likes this.

***** celeb

Bluebonnet likes this.

***** celeb

^^^ My best friend was having a big teenage fangirl crush on Dirk Benedict, so we saw a lot of Galactica at the movies. I can't remember anything other than my complete boredom. We went on to write Benedict a letter, asking for a signed photo, found out that an envelope with her address and an international stamp would help the case, that was quite expensive and complicated back then, but we did it all. We never heard anything back. When I read about his reaction to Starbuck being played by a woman in the reboot, I was all " I knew he was an ass before". But I really liked Richard Hatch as Tom Zarek, especially in his scenes with Mary McDonnell, they had great chemistry, she made him shine.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I went to high school with his son Paul. Rip.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Awww, I adored Apollo as a lil girl. RIP Richard

Thread Information