Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Tom Hiddleston apologizes for his widely criticized & ‘inelegant’ Globes speech

Default Tom Hiddleston apologizes for his widely criticized & ‘inelegant’ Globes speech

Tom Hiddleston apologizes for his widely criticized & ‘inelegant’ Globes speech

Yesterday, I criticized Tom Hiddleston’s Golden Globes acceptance speech, which was absolutely the most cringe-inducing moment of the awards show, and I’m including Jimmy Fallon’s whole act. I was not alone in my criticism – nearly every entertainment and gossip blog ran pieces on whether Hiddles is self-indulgent or whether he’s just parched for attention. The thing is… while I do think Tom deserved to be criticized, I also understand where his little “aid workers watch The Night Manager!” story went off the rails, and in the moment, I can understand how that kind of thing can happen. My problem is that Tom is almost 36 years old and the Globes speech was part of an unfortunate pattern where he turns into a preening, dancing monkey whenever the camera’s on him. He needs to learn some self-awareness and learn to tamp that sh-t down if he wants to still have a career, you know?

Anyway, Tom knows that we were talking sh-t about him. He posted this to Facebook on Monday:

I just wanted to say… I completely agree that my speech at the Golden Globes last night was inelegantly expressed. In truth, I was very nervous, and my words just came out wrong. Sincerely, my only intention was to salute the incredible bravery and courage of the men and women who work so tirelessly for UNICEF UK, Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), and World Food Programme, and the children of South Sudan, who continue to find hope and joy in the most difficult conditions. I apologise that my nerves got the better of me.
    [From Tom’s Facebook]

But was that his “only intention”? His story was about how aid workers binge-watched The Night Manager in South Sudan, only Tom used about a thousand more words to say that one sentence. In any case, I agree, it was “inelegant.” Some might even say crass and self-absorbed. I also doubt that he was nervous as much as he was reveling in the fact that all eyes were on him. I’m shocked he didn’t attempt another Robert DeNiro impression.
    This did make me feel sorry for him though: on Sunday night, after the Globes, Tom partied at the Chateau Marmont. When he was leaving, TMZ’s videographer/paparazzo chatted with him about how his speech was being criticized for being “self-indulgent.” You can see Tom’s face fall and it’s genuine.

Photos courtesy of WENN, Fame/Flynet.

« Previous Post Next Post »

Cele|bitchy | Tom Hiddleston apologizes for his widely criticized & ‘inelegant’ Globes speech
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

While he's apologizing for shit, please also apologize for that Tay-Tay shit from last summer. Now that was embarrassing.

fgg

he looks like a total creep in these pictures.
    rollo, Sarzy, BITTER and 2 others like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    While he's apologizing for shit, please also apologize for that Tay-Tay shit from last summer. Now that was embarrassing.
    I read that as "Tay-Tay shirt." It still applies.
    "I don't want to see a ghost. It's the sight that I fear most. I'd rather have a piece of toast." Des'ree

I was just about to type the exact same thing.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Yeah, he pretty much lost all credibility with that, and now this just seals the deal.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

he looks great in the suit. he's got some vast forehead goin on
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

He's a total muppet.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I really thought he was apologizing for the Swiftmance.

Anyway, I think i'm over him.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I only find him interesting when he's playing Loki.

Totally over him as well. Plus, while it didn't use to, my gaydar's totally pinging now. Embrace who you really are, Tom!

It's amazing how fast he managed to tank the amount of fan goodwill he had. I haven't seen anything like it since Billy Squier made THAT video.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    It's amazing how fast he managed to tank the amount of fan goodwill he had. I haven't seen anything like it since Billy Squier made THAT video.
    What are you talking about? That video was magnificent!

The reactions of people watching this shit were just hilarious. Esp. Christian Slater's face.

I felt kinda bad for him because he just wanted to give a little anecdote and raise awareness and it just blew out into this wordvomit that makes him look incredibly uncool.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

This was my face, watching from home.

These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information