Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Honey
  • 3 Post By BITTER
  • 8 Post By misskris
  • 2 Post By BITTER
  • 5 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Kristin Davis understood her white privilege once she adopted her daughter

Default Kristin Davis understood her white privilege once she adopted her daughter

Kristin Davis is filled “with terror” for her adopted black child.
    “I am white. I have lived in white privilege. I thought I knew before adopting my daughter that I was in white privilege, that I understood what that meant,” Davis, 51, recently explained while speaking at The Greene Space in New York City. Davis adopted her now 5-year-old daughter Gemma Rose Davis in 2011. “But until you actually have a child, which is like your heart being outside you, and that heart happens to be in a brown body, and you have people who are actively working against your child, it’s hard. It fills me with terror.”

That feeling increased after Davis, who campaigned for Hillary Clinton, learned Donald Trump won the election.

“My initial thoughts on Wednesday morning was that I wanted to move to the woods and learn to shoot a gun,” Davis said. “It makes no sense. I’m fully aware. I’m 100 percent aware that it literally makes no sense … the fear of what is happening and how am I going to make sure that no one hurts my child, even in a subtle way, which was already a fear I had obviously, but it just became so, so heightened.”

Despite the fears she faces on a daily basis, Davis gives Gemma words of encouragement.

“I have to tell her your curls are beautiful, your black skin is beautiful,” she said. “You’re beautiful. You’re powerful. You’re a goddess … because she needs to know this.”
    Davis also makes sure positive figures like Serena Williams are prominently displayed in her home.

[From Page Six]

Cele|bitchy | Kristin Davis understood her ‘white privilege’ once she adopted her daughter
    Lalasnake likes this.

Good for her.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I totally feel for her. I am white and have a biracial kid and know the feeling she is referencing. As a caucasian, even in a big city that isn't overtly racist, there are subtle differences in how people are treated based on race. I had never experienced the feeling of being a minority until I visited a country with no white people in the village we were in. It was a strange feeling that I had literally never experienced before. Everyone was welcoming and kind but you take for granted that the other faces you are looking at look like yours.

We are all different yet exactly the same.
    Jack I swear.

Well good for her, if she is a hands on mother. I can't remember all the blinds.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

^^^I've read a few that indicate that she moms up for the cameras...I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt.
    rollo and Lalasnake like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Yep, that's what I was thinking of.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

"until you actually have a child, which is like your heart being outside you"
    ^^^ I have described the experience of having children this exact way so many times. I could be having a great day at work, and then I come home and find out one of my kids had a really bad one, and then it's all

Elite Member

If she "moms up for the cameras" she must not mom up very often. I don't feel like we see many pap shots of her.

I hope she isn't that way. What she said was really lovely, and I've always liked her.

Thread Information