Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Jaime King claims her kids have been able to read since six months old

Default Jaime King claims her kids have been able to read since six months old

Jaime has a new interview with Wonderwall in which she talks about how she limits her children’s access to technology and television, apart from certain exceptions like movies and the system My Baby Can Read. I’ve seen the infomercials for this but I never knew if it was just a put on or not. Jaime swears it works though and that her kids were recognizing flash cars by six months old. She also says that she doesn’t let her kids have iPhones or iPads with some minor exceptions. She sounds like Megan Fox in that way. Jamie and her husband, director Kyle Newman, have two boys, James, three, and Leo, 16 months.

On limiting her kids’ access to technology

“I don’t really actually allow my children to use iPads or iPhones. It’s very, very, very rare. The new studies that have come out have shown that if a child is 18 months old or under, they should not have any screen time at all. If they’re 4 years old or under, they should be limited to an hour or so a day. I allow James Knight to watch things that he loves like ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ or something along those lines — like something that’s a great film. But not just junk.”

She swears by “Your Baby Can Read”

“The one thing that I’ve always done since they were babies is something called ‘Your Baby Can Read!’ My children [James Knight and Leo Thames Newman] have been able to read flashcards since they were 6 months old — before they could even speak. That’s something that really changed things for me as a mom that I utilize technology for. It’s just a simple DVD. But that’s the only, only time they get screen time is specifically ‘Your Baby Can Read!’ because it’s really a game-changer.”

[From Wonderwall]

Cele|bitchy | Jaime King claims her kids have been able to read since six months old

James Knight? That's how she refers to her kid?

The Nightmare Before Christmas is great and all but isn't it a little old for a three year old? What kind of "junk" do kids that young normally watch?
    MmeVertigina and mostroop like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    The Nightmare Before Christmas is great and all but isn't it a little old for a three year old? What kind of "junk" do kids that young normally watch?
    Mine watched stuff like Sesame Street, Sid the Science kid, Thomas and Friends, Mickey Mouse Club House. You know, junk.

ETA: she also watched(and still watches at almost five) Goosebumps because she's just weird like that.
    Waterslide and MmeVertigina like this.

And not surprisingly, none of that sounds like "junk" to me, but I'm pretty sure that's the kind of stuff Jaime had in mind when she said that.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I think that yes, you can teach your kid to read early. But, are they actually comprehending what they are reading vs. the ability to put sounds together? Also, why the crazy push to make kids read at such a young age? My daughter is 5, she's been interested in reading for a while now, we work with her on it, she's in Kindergarten so the school works on it. But, I'm not stressing out because she's not reading at the same level as her older brother was at that age. Let them be kids.

And seriously, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is good, but a little mature for a 3 year old. There is a lot of good educational shows you can let your kid watch. It's not all Caillou and other garbage like that.
    Waterslide and ConstanceSpry like this.

Um... How do you know your kids can read before they can speak?

I say that as a mother of a kid that said maybe 4 words by the time he was 3 years old (Mom, Dad, Dog, Ball). Concerned, he was given speech therapy, placed in special ed, etc. After about 6 months, he was speaking in complete sentences.
    Last edited by Seapharris7; November 28th, 2016 at 12:38 AM.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

I have a Masters degree in early childhood literacy and I teach children to read for a living. If she thinks her child is "reading" at 6 months old, she's an idiot and doesn't know what she's talking about.

This sounds like a case of special snowflake.

Silver Member

She sounds exhausting. I know having children is a huge responsibility and you want to do as much as you can to give them the best start in life, but surely there has to be some balance? She seems like the type that would filled up her children schedules with all sorts of extracurricular activities and have set ideas about what "skills" or "talents" they must acquired without really considering the child's aptitude or interests. At the end of the day, it's more about the parents' bragging rights and feeling of superiority rather then about the children themselves.
    Serendipity and Seapharris7 like this.

At elementary school I care for one "highly gifted" 7 years old boy. He is intellectually trained to excess, but his emotional maturity is far behind. He could easily skip 2 classes, but belongs to kindergarten with his lack of social competence. Under the arrogance his parents trained him to have, there is an insecure three years old. His parents don't mind as long as he is "the best". Poor baby.

Do the flash cards have pictures? If so, babies will get engaged before they can talk, sure.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    At elementary school I care for one "highly gifted" 7 years old boy. He is intellectually trained to excess, but his emotional maturity is far behind. He could easily skip 2 classes, but belongs to kindergarten with his lack of social competence. Under the arrogance his parents trained him to have, there is an insecure three years old. His parents don't mind as long as he is "the best". Poor baby.
    This is my son, except that he has high-functioning autism. He can do algebra at 6, but maturity wise he is definitely more like a 4 or 5 year old. He's not a brat, he's sweet and cheerful for the most part but he is socially awkward. He stands way too close to you, touches people, etc. We're working on it, but it's really difficult. It wasn't until I had him that I realized how hard social norms are to teach. Most of us pick up on them from birth by observation and others may even be innate to some extent. My son has no clue about them and to others he might seem douchey but he's really just clueless.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Sounds like she's still on the hard stuff.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

She is a nutter! This is all bullshit. Give this chick a trophy for not letting her 3 yr old and 18 month old have a phone or IPAD????? FFS!
    holly likes this.

Sounds like she's trying to spit out anything that she thinks will get a headline (have her interview picked up by multiple sources).

She's promoting her made-for-tv family Christmas movie right now. I believe there is/was a blind item about her and how no one/the media couldn't give less of a sh*t (about it/her). The blind was right.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Is there a baby competition and the earliest readers get a prize? People should really consider letting kids be kids and enjoy childhood instead of trying to force them to do academic stuff earlier and earlier. What's next, womb lessons so they can read and do math as soon as they pop out?
    pinkbunnyslippers likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information