Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By spiderpig
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 3 Post By HWBL
  • 4 Post By Brookie
  • 1 Post By spiderpig
  • 2 Post By HWBL

Thread: Robert Redford Announces He Will Retire From Acting After Next Two Films

Default Robert Redford Announces He Will Retire From Acting After Next Two Films

I'm expecting a big yawn from you young whippersnappers (and his directorial efforts were technically accomplished but boring), but in his heyday he was THE GORGE.I hated The Way We Were, except for the final scene in front of the Plaza. Anyone who has ever fallen totally in a love that went wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjGCRhWJsc8

Having trouble embedding.

Awww. He was the best looking actor ever for me, back in the day. I even like him more as an actor since he is not a sex symbol anymore. I actually liked The way we were, but more because of Barbra. The only movie with him that I REALLY hated was "Indecent Proposal", he was a tad to old, and Demi Moore a tad to ordinary to make that angle work, never mind the movie was stupid and sexist, a man asking a husband if his wife is sexually available for money, now really. And that was only the start of that shiftiest .

^^Hard to believe that Demi was once Hollywood's highest paid actress.

I'll always have a soft spot for RR, since my very first boyfriend had the same mop of golden hair. The part at the end of TWWW where Barbra gently reaches up and brushes back his hair just destroys me.

RR's identified with Utah, but he's lived quietly in Marin County (which I can see from my house) for years. I've run into so many celebs here, but never him.

Dang.

I never got his appeal, honestly.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

^^That's OK, Bitter. I never got Matthew McConnahey or James Franco*.

*until the mini "11/22/63" - he was really good in that)
    BITTER likes this.

Matt....maybe. Franco, HELL no.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I get Robert Redford's appeal for others, but he's not my cup of tea in the looks department. I preferred Paul Newman or Steve McQueen. I always had a soft spot for Matthew McConaughey because I think he's a great actor, even if prior to the past five years, he starred in some major duds. James Franco was really good in 11.22.63, so much so that I forgot it was him.
    BITTER likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

He was never classically handsome, but he had the x-factor in his prime. You have to see him in moving images, though, he always looked better moving than in photos. Barefoot in the Park, The Way We Were, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, The Electric Horseman, The Candidate are my fave movies of his.
    spiderpig, JazzyGirl and Angeli like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Butch Cassidy, The Natural, All The President's Men. Never miss his stuff. He's "my guy". I don't care how old he is, he's a classy individual with a conscience.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I get Robert Redford's appeal for others, but he's not my cup of tea in the looks department. I preferred Paul Newman or Steve McQueen. I always had a soft spot for Matthew McConaughey because I think he's a great actor, even if prior to the past five years, he starred in some major duds. James Franco was really good in 11.22.63, so much so that I forgot it was him.
    I know - James Franco! I couldn't stomach him on or off screen and regarded him as an ultimate poseur, but was amazed how good he was in 11.22.63.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Butch Cassidy, The Natural, All The President's Men. Never miss his stuff. He's "my guy". I don't care how old he is, he's a classy individual with a conscience.
    You and me both, Brookie. Even at age 80, he can park his flipflops next to mine anytime.
    Brookie likes this.

Oh, forgot All the President's Men and of course 3 Days of the Condor, magnificent movie.
    Brookie and idunno like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Many years ago, my husband and I had dinner at Sundance. There weren't too many people in the restaurant but one of the other diners was Robert Redford. The tree in the dining area made more of an impression on me than he did just because he was so low key.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    ^^Hard to believe that Demi was once Hollywood's highest paid actress.

I'll always have a soft spot for RR, since my very first boyfriend had the same mop of golden hair. The part at the end of TWWW where Barbra gently reaches up and brushes back his hair just destroys me.

RR's identified with Utah, but he's lived quietly in Marin County (which I can see from my house) for years. I've run into so many celebs here, but never him.

Dang.

Thread Information