• 1 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 2 Post By SHELLEE

Thread: Janet Reno Dead at 78

Default Janet Reno Dead at 78

Janet Reno, first female US attorney general, dies at 78

By Max Blau, CNN
    Updated 10:59 AM ET, Mon November 7, 2016

Janet Reno, first female US attorney general, dies at 78 01:06

(CNN)Janet Reno, former US attorney general under President Bill Clinton, died Monday morning following a long battle with Parkinson's disease, her sister Maggy Hurchalla said. She was 78.

Reno, the nation's first-ever female attorney general, served in the Clinton White House from 1993 to 2001.

From Miami to Washington D.C.

Born in 1938, Reno grew up in Miami, Florida, with parents who both worked as reporters for Miami newspapers. After attending Cornell University for her undergraduate degree, Reno enrolled at Harvard University for law school in the early 1960s. During her first year, she heard one of her heroes, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, speak at the Sanders Theater.

"She was so wonderful and her voice was still so clear and so magnificent," Reno later recalled in a 1993 speech to the Women's Bar Association. "And I went up to her afterwards, and I said, "Mrs. Roosevelt, I think you are perfectly wonderful." And I will never forget her looking at me and saying, 'Why, thank you, my dear. Those words mean so much to me.' And she seemed to mean it."

After law school, Reno worked for four years as an associate at Brigham & Brigham, before becoming partner at Lewis & Reno, where she stayed for four years. In 1971, Reno decided to work with the Florida House of Representatives as a staff director.

After a brief return to the private sector, she was appointed as Florida's State Attorney in Miami, becoming the first woman to ever hold that position. Reno stayed in the job for about 15 years until Clinton tapped her to become the 78th US attorney general.

Convictions and controversies

As part of the Clinton administration, Reno oversaw the high-profile convictions of numerous bombers including Ted Kaczynski, the domestic terrorist infamously known as the "Unabomber;" Sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman for the 1993 World Trade Center bombing; and Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols for their roles in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.

"Speak out against the hatred, the bigotry and the violence in this land. Most haters are cowards. When confronted, they back down. When we remain silent, they flourish," Reno said one month after the Oklahoma City bombing.

Reno's time in office was also bookended with a pair of major controversies that gripped the country. In 1993, she took office as the Waco, Texas, standoff was already underway. On the 51st day of the standoff, the attorney general ordered federal agents to raid the compound -- a decision that resulted in the death of approximately 80 members of the Branch Davidian sect.

"The buck stops with me," Reno said after the incident. She later said on CNN's "Larry King Live" that her decision was "obviously wrong."

Elian Gonzalez still a hero in Cuba,15 years after rescue

In April 2000, Reno played a pivotal role in the saga of six-year-old Cuban immigrant Elian Gonzalez. Gonzalez, found off the coast of Fort Lauderdale in November 1999, was the only survivor among a group of 13 Cuban migrants trying to make it to the US. The incident sparked an international custody dispute between Gonzalez's relatives in the US and his father in Cuba.

Reno ultimately ordered a raid that sent Gonzalez back to Cuba.

Full obit here: Janet Reno, first female US attorney general, dies - CNNPolitics.com

I didn't mind her. I think she was okay overall, but I will never forgive her for Elian Gonzalez. That was bullshit.

I do feel bad that she had Parkinson's (which I was unaware of). My great-grandmother had it and we took care of her at home, so I've seen it up close and its pretty awful.

Waterslide likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Love her or hate her she paved roads for woman. I don't agree with many decisions she made but RIP.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I agree, regardless of what you thought of her...Parkinson's is a terrible way to go. I always felt bad when she had taken the stage to give a speech (I think) and had fallen or fainted and people were mercilessly making fun of her over it, and I think that was around the time there were some rumors swirling that she was suffering from some illness. And that was a really long time ago.

I didn't realize that she ever took accountability for the Elian Gonzalez fiasco, or admitted that she was wrong about it.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

She wasn't wrong about Elian Gonzalez. You don't take a child away from his parent just because he lives in a country ruled by a dictator. Even aside from that, those Miami relatives treated that little boy terribly.

It sucks that the child got frightened by Miami-Dade SWAT, but that was firmly the fault of the relatives. The courts had ruled that the Miami relatives had no basis to petition for asylum on behalf of the boy against the wishes of his parent. Further, the Florida courts revoked the temporary custody of the Miami relatives and ordered Elian to be returned to his father, yet the Miami relatives knowingly refused the court order and refused to return Elian on the agreed upon date. Literally, these were relatives the boy had never met before, in a foreign country to him, who were defying their own country's law. These people had no legal custody of the boy and were actively refusing to return him to his father.

Despite that refusal to return Elian, Reno's office still held days of negotiations with the Miami Gonzalezes to arrange a peaceful transition of Elian, but those people refused EVERYTHING, plus they actively encouraged a heightened atmosphere of protesters around the house 24/7 which was become chaotic. What finally spurred Reno to order LE to go in was a statement by one of the cousins to a cop that there were weapons in the house and if Elian was sent back to Cuba "someone could get hurt."

The AG's job is to upheld the law, and that's what Reno did. There was zero legal basis for keeping the kid in the U.S. and by that point, those relatives were kidnappers.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Did you read that in Rolling Stone?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

RIP Janet

"The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

What ever you say about Janet, I feel she did pave they way for women in politics in the US- to reiterate gas_chick post. She is from the old school group of civil servants who gave their lives to their work. You don't see that kind of dedication much anymore. Sadly I thought she had already passed from Parkinson's. Interesting and ironic that is what everyone says Hillary suffers from from. Whatever happens today at the polls, I find Janet's passing yesterday a bit poetic especially since she served under Clinton. Had she been in her right mind before she passed I suspect she would be very proud of Hillary, no matter today's outcome. Now off to drop my ballot off!
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

I agree. Like I said, I'm pretty neutral on her record but she did her part to break the glass ceiling.

And she threw a hell of a dance party....

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnygirl View Post
    What ever you say about Janet, I feel she did pave they way for women in politics in the US- to reiterate gas_chick post. She is from the old school group of civil servants who gave their lives to their work. You don't see that kind of dedication much anymore. Sadly I thought she had already passed from Parkinson's. Interesting and ironic that is what everyone says Hillary suffers from from. Whatever happens today at the polls, I find Janet's passing yesterday a bit poetic especially since she served under Clinton. Had she been in her right mind before she passed I suspect she would be very proud of Hillary, no matter today's outcome. Now off to drop my ballot off!
    I thought Parkinson's causes physical deterioration, not mental? Might be wrong about that though.

As for Janet Reno, I still remember so many people, particularly men, criticizing her appearance and making disparaging remarks about her. Lookism and assholery at its finest.
    panic likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I thought Parkinson's causes physical deterioration, not mental? Might be wrong about that though.

As for Janet Reno, I still remember so many people, particularly men, criticizing her appearance and making disparaging remarks about her. Lookism and assholery at its finest.
    I thought towards the end Parkinson's causes dementia but sorry if I am mistaken. I just assumed since she hasn't been seems in years hence why I thought she passed was due to some dementia. Either way RIP Janet.
    I can only imagine they type of cruel sexist remarks she was subject to from the plethora of pencil dicks she worked with while serving. I forgot about that SNL apperance lol she was such a great sport.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post

Parkinson's affects memory, learning and behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    And she threw a hell of a dance party....

For real. A couple of people I know were just talking about how they used to go to her house for parties back in the day.
    Bluebonnet and witchcurlgirl like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Gold Member

Parkinson's has different effects on different people. Some deteriorate more mentally than others. Lewy body dementia, what Robin Williams had, is related to Parkinson's.

RIP Janet.

Thread Information