• 7 Post By rollo
  • 11 Post By NickiDrea
  • 1 Post By bootspaige
  • 1 Post By Kittylady
  • 2 Post By rollo
  • 1 Post By South Lake

Thread: Adele Opens Up About Parenting and Postpartum Depression

Default Adele Opens Up About Parenting and Postpartum Depression

Sx months after Adele’s chart-topping album 21 garnered Album of the Year in 2012, the singer had another life-changing moment: she gave birth to her son, Angelo, now four years old. In Vanity Fair’s December cover story, she talked with writer Lisa Robinson about parenting, her experience with postpartum depression, and the comforting knowledge that she’s not alone.

When Robinson suggests the singer might be brave for choosing to become a mother amid her immense success, the singer has a different point of view:
    “I think it’s the bravest thing not to have a child; all my friends and I felt pressurized into having kids, because that’s what adults do,” she says. “I love my son more than anything, but on a daily basis, if I have a minute or two, I wish I could do whatever the fuck I wanted, whenever I want. Every single day I feel like that.”
    And she isn’t shy, either, to admit that Angelo will likely be her only child, saying boyfriend Simon Konecki’s daughter from a previous relationship gives him a sibling: “She’s my get-out-of-jail-free card.”

But there’s another element to Adele’s parenting story about which the singer does not hold back—after giving birth to Angelo, she experienced postpartum depression, something many new mothers face. She says she didn’t turn to antidepressants but rather gravitated toward other mothers who were going through the same struggles.
    “One day, I said to a friend, ‘I fuckin’ hate this, and she burst into tears and said, ‘I fuckin’ hate this, too,’” she remembers. “And it was done. It lifted.”
    Adele says that to this day, she takes the much-needed time to be alone—just one afternoon a week. But now, on her current tour, she deals with the guilt of not being able to attend to her son at all hours:
    “You’re constantly trying to make up for stuff when you’re a mom. I don’t mind, because of the love I feel for him. I don’t care if I don’t ever get to do anything for myself again.”

Adele Opens Up About Parenting and Postpartum Depression | Vanity Fair

Hmm, I'm sure it can happen to the richest person on the planet but it sure makes a difference being a superstar, having all the support you can handle, properties all over the world etc.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I love Adele and everything, but this does not sound like post partum depression, which is a chemical issue and not one that goes away immediately by commiserating with a friend about how difficult it can be to be the mother of an infant. I did not have PPD, but a good friend described it to me as literally wanting to be dead because she did not feel that she was capable of parenting her child and thinking it would be better for the baby if she was dead. What Adele is describing sounds like what every mother of a baby has felt- I had emotional meltdowns at least once with each set of twins- but that doesn't make it PPD.

Maybe it's just the way she's describing it that makes it sound like the baby blues and not PPD.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Side note: saw her perform this weekend in Austin and she was so enjoyable. I love every minute and her voice just sails. Pure magic, that one!
    Wisher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bootspaige View Post
    Side note: saw her perform this weekend in Austin and she was so enjoyable. I love every minute and her voice just sails. Pure magic, that one!
    Argh! We were supposed to go but my baby girl got sick. Was it amazing???

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I love Adele and everything, but this does not sound like post partum depression, which is a chemical issue and not one that goes away immediately by commiserating with a friend about how difficult it can be to be the mother of an infant. I did not have PPD, but a good friend described it to me as literally wanting to be dead because she did not feel that she was capable of parenting her child and thinking it would be better for the baby if she was dead. What Adele is describing sounds like what every mother of a baby has felt- I had emotional meltdowns at least once with each set of twins- but that doesn't make it PPD.

Maybe it's just the way she's describing it that makes it sound like the baby blues and not PPD.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that chances are high that her comments/quotes selected for the article were at the writer's/editor's discretion and are not meant to sum up how she felt or is feeling with PPD as a whole. The article is essentially a couple sentences out of hour-long conversation, you know?

And everyone has their own way of describing/conveying their feelings to others, obviously.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I kinda took it to mean that once she was able to open up to someone and accepted that she wasn't alone in not feeling like everything was perfect sunshine-and-roses as a new mother was the start of finding her way out of PPD. Obviously I've never had PPD myself but from knowing people who have the feelings of isolation and failure that a woman in that situation can experience definitely contribute to keeping them in the dark hole their hormones/brain chemistry has thrown them in to. Reaching out, getting help and accepting that you aren't a shameful creature or less of a woman for experiencing this is often the first and most important step in beginning the road to recovery.
    Sassiness likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

​I don't know. 1% problems. I know she's trying to relate to her fans but ...
    arie_skop and ChemicalHelena like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    Argh! We were supposed to go but my baby girl got sick. Was it amazing???
    j

Cherrypye....Girl, yes, she was truly amazing. Go sometime if you can!!!! she is darling, but her voice is killer. I'll admit, i'm a huge fan, but i was sitting four rows from the top of the Erwin Center and i felt like she was RIGHT THERE. Can't wait to see her again!

czb

the sound bites are about as interesting as her music (to me). zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Life isn't about me, me, me anymore = PPD. That's how I see it with many celebrities who are shocked by the 180 degree lifestyle change that occurs after having a baby!
    arie_skop likes this.
    "Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast."

I had PPD, but I've also suffered from depression most of my life. I felt like I would be better off leaving everything behind/dying because I was a horrible mother. I had no idea what I was doing, we were broke, the baby was always sick, etc. I'm pretty open about my experience because I believe its part of my coping, but I feel like Adele is a really private person and may have not felt comfortable talking about such personal things in this public format
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Thread Information