Thread: Singer, Bobby Vee, Dies at 73

Default Singer, Bobby Vee, Dies at 73

Bobby Vee: 1960s pop singer dies at the age of 73

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionBobby Vee was born into a musical family in Fargo, North Dakota, in 1943Bobby Vee, best known for hits including Rubber Ball, Take Good Care of My Baby and The Night Has a Thousand Eyes, has died at the age of 73.

Vee's son Jeff Velline confirmed the singer had died on Monday.

Vee released more than 25 albums in his career, retiring in 2011 after being diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease.

His big break came about in 1959 at the age of 15 when he filled in for Buddy Holly after his death in a plane crash.
    Ritchie Valens and Jiles P Richardson, known as The Big Bopper, were also killed in the incident in Iowa, along with the pilot, Roger Peterson.

A call went out for local acts to replace Holly at his scheduled show at the Moorhead National Guard Armory. Vee and his band, which had only formed two weeks previously, volunteered.

Vee, born Robert Velline, also gave a young Bob Dylan his start.

Dylan played briefly with Vee's band and he was the one who suggested Velline change his last name to Vee.

Bobby Vee and the Shadows were signed in the autumn of 1959 and Vee had his first hit in the Billboard charts in 1960 with Devil or Angel.

A slew of hits followed, including The Night Has a Thousand Eyes, Come Back When You Grow Up, Please Don't Ask about Barbara and Punish Her.

Vee and his wife, Karen, were married for more than 50 years. She died of kidney failure in 2015, aged 71. The couple had four children.

Bobby Vee: 1960s pop singer dies at the age of 73 - BBC News

Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Aw, I liked his music.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

He had to take over for Buddy Holly right after that plane crash happened so that had to have been tough and devastating. He was only 16 himself. All of the artists on that tour were all in shock and grieving yet "the show must go on."
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Thread Information