Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Ben Stiller secretly battled prostate cancer

fgg

Default Ben Stiller secretly battled prostate cancer

Ben Stiller secretly battled prostate cancer

Ben Stiller was diagnosed with “immediately aggressive” prostate cancer two years ago at age 48, he revealed Tuesday.

“It came out of the blue for me,” Stiller, now 50, said on Howard Stern’s SiriusXM show, via Us Weekly. “I had no idea. At first, I didn’t know what was gonna happen. I was scared. It just stopped everything in your life because you can’t plan a movie because you don’t know what’s gonna happen.”

Stiller says he went to see a urologist who delivered the devastating news. From there, he went on to see “a bunch of different” doctors, including pal Robert De Niro’s physician.

He essentially elected to have his prostate removed and his health is now fine.

“It’s the second most deadly cancer, but it’s about one of the most curable,” Stiller said.

Now he’s talking about his experience with the prostate-specific antigen test. “I feel like the test saved my life,” he said.

“Afterwards, it just gives you an appreciation for life,” the actor added. “Every six months I’m taking my PSA test to make sure I’m clear.”

Ben Stiller secretly battled prostate cancer | Page Six
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I'm glad he's OK and glad he is speaking about this. It might encourage men to get tested.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Wow, that's heavy. I'm sure removing the prostate completely has not-awesome side effects.

Most people probably think of prostate cancer as one of the most slow-growing, almost "benign" type cancers to get, if you have to get one. But if you do get an aggressive sub-type, it can be just as lethal as any.
    My boss's husband died less than 2 yrs after diagnosis, and had done everything "right" to detect and treat.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I have a relative who was diagnosed with it at 45 and had his whole prostate gland removed.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I was wondering about this because I was driving back from the gym this morning and Howard Stern was wrapping up a live interview with Ben Stiller and this was what they were discussing. I only caught the last couple of minutes, but the implication was that Stiller had it and was mainly appearing on his show to warn people go get the PSA test.

If you are a guy doing an annual checkup, they do a "manual" check and the PSA test is something they automatically check, too, when they do your bloodwork.

Someone high up in my company had it, and he basically shared the news with everybody. He was devastated at first. He did a huge amount of research to make sure he had chosen the best possible surgeon and reached out to a network of people who had it and survived it.

I did the Movember non-shaving thing last year, and am going to do it this year, too, despite my daughter's protests....

I'm glad he spoke out about it. I might even save a few lives.
    greysfang likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

A while ago I felt compelled to put his dad on the death pool list. Guess my inner voice was close, but off.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Elite Member

Prostate cancer needs a poster boy to raise public consciousness. It's still primarily an older man's disease, but it can be more aggressive when you get it at a younger age. Black men are more vulnerable to aggressive prostate cancer and may not have health coverage to allow for early diagnosis and treatment. I don't know that we need a male equivalent to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, but a campaign to raise funds for testing might save lives.
    Bluebonnet and Bombshell like this.

Elite Member

My dad just had the removal surgery a few weeks ago. Ironically, his PSA score showed he was perfectly healthy. It's always best to do more than one test when it comes to detecting prostate cancer.
    Seapharris7 and Bluebonnet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by happy8 View Post
    My dad just had the removal surgery a few weeks ago. Ironically, his PSA score showed he was perfectly healthy. It's always best to do more than one test when it comes to detecting prostate cancer.
    And ironically, some young men have a super high PSA and enlarged prostates yet their prostates are relatively healthy. One of my ex boyfriends always had a high PSA and his doctor told him that men with chronic enlarged prostate have less chances of getting cancer in it as they get older.

^ @happy8 Glad he got it sorted. I remember my dad's doctor said my dad was braver than him for getting his prostate checked as he himself would rather not know... What a stupid thing for a doctor to say.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ @happy8 Glad he got it sorted. I remember my dad's doctor said my dad was braver than him for getting his prostate checked as he himself would rather not know... What a stupid thing for a doctor to say.
    Thanks!

My dad and one of his best friends were diagnosed by different doctors within days of each other. In fact, his close friend ended up in the same hospital bed directly after my dad was discharged following surgery. Both had the same surgery to remove their prostate glands. This was in 1994. It was the same kind of prostate cancer in terms of aggressiveness. The difference was that my dad's doctor was proactive in testing my dad so it was caught at an early stage. My dad is now 87 and has never had a occurrence although he did have several unpleasant complications as a result of the surgery. But it was a small price to pay. My dad's friend didn't have as good a doctor, and his cancer wasn't caught early. He died just a few years following his diagnosis.
    panic and Seapharris7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    And ironically, some young men have a super high PSA and enlarged prostates yet their prostates are relatively healthy. One of my ex boyfriends always had a high PSA and his doctor told him that men with chronic enlarged prostate have less chances of getting cancer in it as they get older.
    I think those are the exceptions that prove the rule (enlarge prostate and/or high PSA means that you need to watch or get tested more often. I know of at least two guys who had enlarged prostates that eventually got prostate cancer when they got older.

The case that always gets to me was Bill Bixby ("My Favorite Martian", "Courtship of Eddie's Father", and "Incredible Hulk"). He talked VERY openly and candidly about what he was going through. He had a great attitude. Here is the ET interview with him:

Poor Bill Bixby had way too much tragedy in his life even before cancer.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information