Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Gabrielle Union calls out Amy Schumer & Kate Upton’s white privilege

Default Gabrielle Union calls out Amy Schumer & Kate Upton’s white privilege

Gabrielle Union calls out Amy Schumer & Kate Upton’s white privilege

The controversy and general discomfort about and around Nate Parker has cooled off in the past few weeks. He managed to get through TIFF with few incidents, and last night’s LA premiere of The Birth of a Nation was pretty straight-forward too. According to Deadline, there were no protesters and attendees generally wanted to see the film, regardless of Parker’s controversies.

It doesn’t seem like Parker was doing many red carpet interviews, but he did walk the carpet. I’m also including photos of Gabrielle Union, Armie Hammer and his wife, and Chadwick Boseman (who is not in the film, but came out to support the film). In lieu of any interviews with Parker, I did want to repost the link to this fantastic new Gabrielle Union interview, which I included in the links yesterday. Gabrielle spoke to xoNeCole in what turned out to be a far-ranging interview about white privilege, being a rape survivor, race and more – go here to read the full piece. There’s one part getting a lot of attention, and it’s a pretty great part. Union is discussing privilege and how she would like to challenge her white colleagues to recognize their privilege, and how they are able to operate within the industry in a completely different way from black artists. Union named names.

"The reason why most people aren’t willing to go the extra mile to really have equality is because it won’t benefit them. Most people are self-serving, which is human nature so you have to fight back against that. In order to begin to see change start to occur, we have to be willing to have conversations with people who have different opinions than us. I’ve already talked to Lena Dunham; I would love to talk to Kate Upton and Amy Schumer. Maybe I can help to explain the oppressive systems that have benefited and allowed them to say these careless, insensitive and offensive things. Those conversations are awkward as f–k and they get heated. Similar to watching people have conversations about consent."

Cele|bitchy | escapism can be smart

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Between Ermahgerd and Yee-muthafuckin' Haw

God, she is just firing on all cylinders lately. Love this. Love that she called out that clueless twat Kate Upton and Amy Schumer is getting on my last nerve too.
    lindsaywhit and arie_skop like this.

What did Kate Upton and Amy Schumer say that got her so riled up?
    I've always admired her bravery regarding dealing with her sexual assault - she's fearless.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

^I had to look up what Kate Upton did and basically she called out the Miami Dolphins players that knelt during the National Anthem on 9/11.

Everyone Is Hating On Kate Upton For These Tweets & It's Not Okay

SHANNON CARLIN
    SEPTEMBER 12, 2016, 10:00 AM

PHOTO: MATT BARON/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK.

Soon after criticizing the Miami Dolphins for protesting during the national anthem on Sunday, Kate Upton was attacked on Twitter with sexist messages.

Upton chose to pay tribute to those who lost their lives on 9/11 on Instagram with a photo of her boyfriend, baseball player Justin Verlander, standing with his hand over his heart during the national anthem.

"I choose to stand. Remembering all those who lost their lives 15 years ago on 9/11," she wrote. "Also, the countless who've given their lives defending our freedom here at home. #NeverForget #PatriotDay."

But, after the Dolphins chose to take a knee as the national anthem played during their afternoon game, Upton took to Twitter to comment on what she felt was a sign of disrespect.

"This is unacceptable. You should be proud to be an American. Especially on 9/11 when we should support each other," she wrote. "Protest & speak ur mind whenever u want but during the 120 secs you should support the people who protect our freedom."

She added, "In my opinion, the national anthem is a symbolic song about our country. It represents honoring."

Follow

Kate Upton
    @KateUpton

This is unacceptable. You should be proud to be an American. Especially on 9/11 when we should support each other. https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/775073961512169472 …
    5:03 PM - 11 Sep 2016

Follow

Kate Upton
    @KateUpton

Protest&speak ur mind whenever u want but during the 120secs you should support the people who protect our freedom. https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/775073961512169472 …
    5:07 PM - 11 Sep 2016

Follow

Kate Upton
    @KateUpton

In my opinion, the national anthem is a symbolic song about our country. It represents honoring…https://www.instagram.com/p/BKO8_ZGA87r/
    6:12 PM - 11 Sep 2016

Soon after Upton shared that tweet, many started going after her on Twitter. But, instead of commenting on her opinions of the Dolphins and other football players who demonstrated on Sunday, many chose to go after her personally.

As Perez Hilton pointed out, many of these messages were sexist. One person wrote, "Kate Upton upset at dolphins players for kneeling. real patriots give the flag respect by sticking it in their teeth," alongside a photo of Upton in a bikini with an American Flag in her mouth.

Another person posted a photo of Upton in an American flag bikini writing, "We all know true patriots honor the flag by strapping it to their butthole."

Other people chose to body-shame her, writing things like "Kate Upton built like a Samsung charger" and "sentient rectangle Kate Upton can shut all the way up."

While there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with Upton's views, shaming her appearance is completely unnecessary and doesn't push this conversation of equality further.

Follow

Rob Fee
    @robfee

Lol thanks @KateUpton. We all know true patriots honor the flag by strapping it to their butthole.
    5:15 PM - 11 Sep 2016

View image on Twitter

Follow

Oliver Willis
    @owillis

kate upton upset at dolphins players for kneeling. real patriots give the flag respect by sticking it in their teeth
    7:55 PM - 11 Sep 2016

Follow

Deaux @dstfelix

sentient rectangle kate upton can shut all the way up
    5:33 PM - 11 Sep 2016

Follow

Charles Broccoli @hotterthanjuly

Kate Upton is shaped like a box of Oatmeal Creme Pies.
    10:01 AM - 12 Sep 2016

Upton chose not comment on these sexist tweets, but would later defend her views on Instagram writing, "Protest all you want and use social media all you want. However, during the nearly two minutes when that song is playing, I believe everyone should put their hands on their heart and be proud of our country for we are all truly blessed."

She then tweeted that the players "have every right and SHOULD protest just not during those 2 minutes on 9/11." That they "should stand up for beliefs," but it's "not the time during anthem on 9/11."

Upton would then tweet that it would never be acceptable to protest "during our national anthem. Especially on 9/11 #NeverForget."

The Amy Schumer thing goes back to the published convo with Lena Dunham regarding Michael B. Jordan and Odell Beckham, Jr. I think.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Lol thanks @KateUpton. We all know true patriots honor the flag by strapping it to their butthole.
    5:15 PM - 11 Sep 2016
    I'm sorry, but that's just funny

It's completely brilliant.

I don't understand how someone can come to the conclusion that people don't have the freedom to decline worshiping a song and a flag that SYMBOLIZE FREEDOM. "I fought and died for your rights, and now I'm gonna kick yer ass for using them."

Go Gabrielle. So many people just.do.not.get.it. As a middle class white lady, there are plenty of things I don't get either, but I like to think I don't flaunt my ignorance as a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I don't understand how someone can come to the conclusion that people don't have the freedom to decline worshiping a song and a flag that SYMBOLIZE FREEDOM. "I fought and died for your rights, and now I'm gonna kick yer ass for using them."
    Well said (from a military member )
    stella blue likes this.

I can't even with the social media posts about players taking a knee. Sometimes when i've a little cocktail (or 5) I post something like this in response to the outrage that not everyone stands for the anthem or pledges allegiance to a flag:

I seem to have less and less facebook friends.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Fuck Kate Upton.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

OMG people are so up in arms about the flag-- fabric that people wrap their pissing pooping kids in for pics, drape themselves in, leave in the rain and overnight and all sorts of things that are no nos.
    But Trumps POW, McCain and other comments are no big news.
    It's not about disrespecting vets, military or PEOPLE it's about not feeling like you belong because you are a target in your country. Of course Kate Upton doesn't understand that concept. Not shocking.

on the one hand, good for gabrielle union for speaking up.

on the other hand, dunham, schumer and upton are not the ones responsible for the patriarchal, racist system so rather than playing into the tired old bullshit of feminist in-fighting, find someone else to deflect attention from the fact that you're a rape victim who decided to work with a director who raped a woman in college, rather than the tired old 'blame the white girls for it'. rich white women aren't to blame for the racist, patriarchal system we live in, no matter how hard millennial feminism tries to convince us of it.
    Last edited by sputnik; September 25th, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Gabrielle Union comes across like a angry black women. There are stories of Gabrielle back in the day on film sets where she was a total bitch/diva to EVERYBODY cause she felt that she had to stick up for herself cause she is black or some shit like that and nobody wanted to work with her.
    Gossiplover likes this.

czb

^^^ as opposed to an angry white woman?

*confused*

Hit By Ban Bus!

Or maybe Gabrielle just has a bad attitude in general
    Gossiplover likes this.

czb

or maybe YOU have a bad attitude in general?
    stella blue and Kittylady like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information