• 1 Post By Honey
  • 4 Post By greysfang
  • 2 Post By Seapharris7
  • 4 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 3 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By Annika
  • 1 Post By Charmed Hour

Thread: Uzo Aduba Was Once Wrongly Stopped By Police Because of Her Skin Color

Default Uzo Aduba Was Once Wrongly Stopped By Police Because of Her Skin Color

The 35-year-old Orange Is the New Black actress opened up with the mag about the Black Lives Matter movement and how she was once wrongly accused by police. Read what she said:

On being stopped by two plainclothes NYC policemen while in college
    : “I was taken aback. I was backing up slowly because I thought I was about to get raped, mugged, killed. My instinct was to run. I wasn’t really interested in taking that encounter lying down, so to speak… I remember thinking I did not want to have my dignity taken from me that day. I walked away from that situation with my life, but I was also keenly aware that this was the first time that this had ever happened to me.”

On how her show addresses social issues
    : “We’re watching on our show what is happening right now in our world. We didn’t shoot this yesterday; we shot it a year ago. [Jenji Kohan] is someone who knows where we are as a society and wants to address it in such a magnificent way. She’s excellent in holding up mirrors to people’s faces.”

On her inspiration for Suzanne
    : “I try to go to a place of expression or giving voice to the people or things that I feel have no voice. I try to reach inside the stomach of the people who are lost, the people who feel oppressed, the people who feel misunderstood and just try, to the best of my ability, to let them sing.”

For more from Uzo, visit HauteLiving.com!

panic likes this.

I mean... how many black people haven't been police targets at some point due to our skin color? The majority of black people I know, regardless of social standing/class have had a negative police experience at some point.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I'm black, and I have not experienced negative encounters with the police.

I'm sure people of other races can complain about the same thing. I wonder what she was doing that made her get stopped. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think the police can stop anyone just because of their skin color. They have to have a reason.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Do you not keep up with the news?
    msdeb, Sarzy, panic and 1 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post

I'm sure people of other races can complain about the same thing. I wonder what she was doing that made her get stopped. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think the police can stop anyone just because of their skin color. They have to have a reason.
    Well, I'm white and live in Texas and I can say I've witness POC getting pulled over by police for no obvious reason. BUT I will say that recently, our Police Chief, who was African American, passed away due to an auto accident - the entire city came together to honor him. No one is perfect, not all cops are bad, and we as a nation really need to make some changes in our justice system overall.
    greysfang and Beeyotch like this.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Yes, you're naive.

(And lucky that it hasn't happened to you)

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

she says nothing about being stopped because she was black (although i don't doubt if she was, but it seems the writers emphasized that). what i got from it is two PLAINS CLOTHES cops were probably frisking her and being general assholes and she mistook them for two potential rapists because she didn't know they were cops. i could be wrong...

On being stopped by two plainclothes NYC policemen while in college: “I was taken aback. I was backing up slowly because I thought I was about to get raped, mugged, killed. My instinct was to run. I wasn’t really interested in taking that encounter lying down, so to speak… I remember thinking I did not want to have my dignity taken from me that day. I walked away from that situation with my life, but I was also keenly aware that this was the first time that this had ever happened to me.”

At the link where the original article is posted she says it:

Yet, as accomplished and poised as she is, Aduba has also been made to feel ‘less than.’ Fresh off the heels of booking her first Broadway show, Coram Boy, in New York, she was stopped by two plainclothes policemen—for no reason other than the color of her skin. “I was taken aback,” Aduba, now 35, recalls. “I was backing up slowly because I thought I was about to get raped, mugged, killed. My instinct was to run. I wasn’t really interested in taking that encounter lying down, so to speak.”

Instead, she got away—and called 911, all the while shocked at the ludicrous nature of her alleged indiscretion. “I knew what they were saying I was responsible for couldn’t be more fictitious, [that] someone matching my description had been seen vandalizing. I was like, ‘Someone matching my description who was wearing a bright red T-shirt that says Switzerland on the front and a yellow backpack that says Jamaica on it? Come on.’ If only they had opened my backpack, they would have seen the complete works of Shakespeare in there, which I was reading for [college]. I couldn’t have been more [of a] theater kiddie.”

That said, it is a testament to her resilient spirit that she did not allow the experience to break her, define her or rob her of her self-worth. “I remember thinking I did not want to have my dignity taken from me that day. I walked away from that situation with my life, but I was also keenly aware that this was the first time that this had ever happened to me.”

ETA- It's not a stretch to believe her. This happens all over, but NYC was notorious for it's 'Stop & Frisk' Program, which disproportionately targeted POC

Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 20th, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
    greysfang, Annika and mostroop like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love suzanne.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

thanks for posting the whole story, i usually read them before i comment, and of course one of the times i don't i miss the point.

that must have been awful for her. i can only imagine how that stop and frisk program is scaring a lot of people who are being targeted because of their skin color.. jeez.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    thanks for posting the whole story, i usually read them before i comment, and of course one of the times i don't i miss the point.

that must have been awful for her. i can only imagine how that stop and frisk program is scaring a lot of people who are being targeted because of their skin color.. jeez.
    Stop and Frisk is no longer performed by NYPD rank and file with any regularity. The rules were revised, making the process more stringent. There's fear of lawsuits so many officers just don't do it at all anymore.
    Annika likes this.

I never understood NY's Stop and Frisk anyway. It clearly violated the law. NY can't just randomly create a law that conflicts with the U.S. Constitution. It didn't make sense to me and still doesn't.

Oh, sweetie. Do you live in the U.S.? Because people are stopped all the time based on their skin color. I was stopped in my own neighborhood driving my new car home when I was a teenager. It was a wealthy neighborhood and we were the only black family there. The police assumed I was up to crime because I was a young black girl in my a rich neighborhood. It happens every single day. I've had officers admit on cross examination that they stopped my client because they're black. They didn't even seem to know it was wrong.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I never understood NY's Stop and Frisk anyway. It clearly violated the law. NY can't just randomly create a law that conflicts with the U.S. Constitution. It didn't make sense to me and still doesn't.

Oh, sweetie. Do you live in the U.S.? Because people are stopped all the time based on their skin color. I was stopped in my own neighborhood driving my new car home when I was a teenager. It was a wealthy neighborhood and we were the only black family there. The police assumed I was up to crime because I was a young black girl in my a rich neighborhood. It happens every single day. I've had officers admit on cross examination that they stopped my client because they're black. They didn't even seem to know it was wrong.
    Oh my, that's awful you had to experience that. Shame on that officer. Yes, I'm in the U.S.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Thread Information